Comparing the Oppo 105 with an older CD player shocking revelation. - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 24 Old 07-26-2013, 09:12 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I decided to post this here and not on the Oppo 105 official thread for respect to those like me who don't like other people raining on their parade, but this is something ineteresting that happened to me this week which shows that all I know is that I know nothing at all.

So, I am at my old man's house and he is showing off his system with a couple of new cds that he has just bought. As I'm listening, even though his system is of a lower quality tier of sorts (or so I thought) I find myself enjoying the music coming out of his system, very engaging and with a very relaxed feel to it. As I look into his music rack, I see that He still has the same old cd player that he bought like 10 years ago on a garage sale for $20 bucks, So, I mention to him how much I'm like what I'm hearing, and I asked him If I could borrow the Cd player for a couple of days to try it in my system.

As I walked away with his player, I was imagining just what a beating this 24 year old player was about to get from my 1 year old favorite piece of electronics, the Oppo 105, I was already feeling bad for this rather heavy little unit and mouth watering with anticipation when I'd tell my old man that his old cd player sounded ok in his system, but that my new Oppo was walking all over this late 80's old relic.

With everything connected and in place, I started my pre-conceived listening session with the Oppo and some of my favorite and most familiar recordings, My beloved 105 sounded as beautiful as always and as I started to head back to my listening position after taking the cd out of the Oppo and into the old player I heard the first notes of the old cd player and I noticed that it sounded different, diferent enough for me to take a much closer listen and start evaluating on specific differences between the two players.

To make a long story short, trying all kinds of cables and diferent inputs on my pre-amp and all available options, the old Magnavox CDB-650 (philips) cd player presented a beautfully wide, clean, engaging presentation that was sweet as honey and with a seperation of instruments in complicated music passages that blew my mind and left me in awe, and in shock.

I really like how this relic sounds and I'm keeping it as my cd player, the Oppo will continue to serve me for hometheater, sacd, etc for which it performs very, very well.

My dad will bring out of hiding another Magnavox CDB-650 that He found some place in perfect condition for $8.00 last year.

Do not steal, The powers that be do not like the competition.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 Old 07-27-2013, 08:12 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 725 Post(s)
Liked: 1155
Quote:
Originally Posted by luismanrara View Post

I decided to post this here and not on the Oppo 105 official thread for respect to those like me who don't like other people raining on their parade, but this is something ineteresting that happened to me this week which shows that all I know is that I know nothing at all.

So, I am at my old man's house and he is showing off his system with a couple of new cds that he has just bought. As I'm listening, even though his system is of a lower quality tier of sorts (or so I thought) I find myself enjoying the music coming out of his system, very engaging and with a very relaxed feel to it. As I look into his music rack, I see that He still has the same old cd player that he bought like 10 years ago on a garage sale for $20 bucks, So, I mention to him how much I'm like what I'm hearing, and I asked him If I could borrow the Cd player for a couple of days to try it in my system.

As I walked away with his player, I was imagining just what a beating this 24 year old player was about to get from my 1 year old favorite piece of electronics, the Oppo 105, I was already feeling bad for this rather heavy little unit and mouth watering with anticipation when I'd tell my old man that his old cd player sounded ok in his system, but that my new Oppo was walking all over this late 80's old relic.

With everything connected and in place, I started my pre-conceived listening session with the Oppo and some of my favorite and most familiar recordings, My beloved 105 sounded as beautiful as always and as I started to head back to my listening position after taking the cd out of the Oppo and into the old player I heard the first notes of the old cd player and I noticed that it sounded different, diferent enough for me to take a much closer listen and start evaluating on specific differences between the two players.

To make a long story short, trying all kinds of cables and diferent inputs on my pre-amp and all available options, the old Magnavox CDB-650 (philips) cd player presented a beautfully wide, clean, engaging presentation that was sweet as honey and with a seperation of instruments in complicated music passages that blew my mind and left me in awe, and in shock.

I really like how this relic sounds and I'm keeping it as my cd player, the Oppo will continue to serve me for hometheater, sacd, etc for which it performs very, very well.

My dad will bring out of hiding another Magnavox CDB-650 that He found some place in perfect condition for $8.00 last year.

My recollection is that the Magnavox CDB 650 is from the late 1980s which were good years for quality CD players. One reference says "...its from 1987, and uses a TDA1541..." another says "...Philips CDM4/19 transport...". That's all well-engineered stuff. I'd put it on the bench to make sure that none of the capacitors have dried out and hurt the bass.
post #3 of 24 Old 07-27-2013, 10:01 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

I've been doing some research on the unit and it seems to be a very well regarded player. A lot of people do mods on them and even change the dacs, it sort of has a following. it is an impressive sounding unit to my ears and I wonder if there are current stand alone cd players with that kind of sound at reasonable prices? I thought cd players made only small differences in sound when compared to speakers, etc, but this unit proved me wrong, or Maybe it's just the fact that blu ray players will never be able to compete in terms of sound with stand alone cd players

post #4 of 24 Old 07-27-2013, 01:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked: 295
Quote:
I thought cd players made only small differences in sound when compared to speakers, etc, but this unit proved me wrong, or Maybe it's just the fact that blu ray players will never be able to compete in terms of sound with stand alone cd players
Or maybe you just did the comparison in a way that greatly exaggerated the differences. smile.gif

If you can't explain how it works, you can't say it doesn't.—The High-End Creed

post #5 of 24 Old 07-27-2013, 02:16 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcnarus View Post

Or maybe you just did the comparison in a way that greatly exaggerated the differences. smile.gif

Maybe, but We are reunited and it feels so good smile.gif

post #6 of 24 Old 07-28-2013, 07:38 AM
ap1
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Some records benefit from "deficiencies" of DAC. Recently I played few CD made in late 1980s on my system with DAC, where I can select digital filters from regular sharp cutoff to no filter at all. For most modern records best setting (from sound quality point) is "upsampling on" with "slow rolloff filter". This sessing also measures best on the test bench. But for these old CDs the best sound was when I turned off upsampling. From measurement perspective it results in rather significant aliasing. I suspect that overall sound was adjusted to best perceived quality by mastering engineer when he was listening through similar "deficient" DAC back in the day.

Another thing is that players from early ages of digital all used ladder type DACs. Currently this type of DACs are only in use in measurement equipment (and for a good reason). Almost all audio gear uses delta-sigma DACs, which have their own deficiencies in transient response similar to sharp rolloff filters (but way cheaper than R2R ladder DACs with similar resolution and sample rate).
post #7 of 24 Old 07-28-2013, 02:27 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ap1 View Post

Some records benefit from "deficiencies" of DAC. Recently I played few CD made in late 1980s on my system with DAC, where I can select digital filters from regular sharp cutoff to no filter at all. For most modern records best setting (from sound quality point) is "upsampling on" with "slow rolloff filter". This sessing also measures best on the test bench. But for these old CDs the best sound was when I turned off upsampling. From measurement perspective it results in rather significant aliasing. I suspect that overall sound was adjusted to best perceived quality by mastering engineer when he was listening through similar "deficient" DAC back in the day.

Another thing is that players from early ages of digital all used ladder type DACs. Currently this type of DACs are only in use in measurement equipment (and for a good reason). Almost all audio gear uses delta-sigma DACs, which have their own deficiencies in transient response similar to sharp rolloff filters (but way cheaper than R2R ladder DACs with similar resolution and sample rate).

Thank you, You've made very interesting points, but I don't know how this translates into my experience with the these players.

post #8 of 24 Old 07-29-2013, 04:37 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Quote:

Thank you, You've made very interesting points, but I don't know how this translates into my experience with the these players.

If you do good listening tests, a lot of the alternative filters on multi-filter DACs sound very much the same.
post #9 of 24 Old 07-29-2013, 06:11 AM
ap1
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by arnyk View Post

Quote:

Quote:

If you do good listening tests, a lot of the alternative filters on multi-filter DACs sound very much the same.

Of cause difference is not obvious, but rather subtle. Some things require deep thinking though, like difference in BASS sound when switching filters.
post #10 of 24 Old 07-29-2013, 07:29 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Of cause difference is not obvious, but rather subtle. Some things require deep thinking though, like difference in BASS sound when switching filters.

Sighted evaluation, right?
post #11 of 24 Old 07-29-2013, 12:30 PM
ap1
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Sighted evaluation, right?

It was sighted, more than that - to switch back and force I had to stand up at walk to equipment rack. I am not a big fan of switching anything, the reason why I tried different filters was dissatisfaction with sound quality of my default settings when I played few old CDs.
radarguy likes this.
post #12 of 24 Old 07-30-2013, 11:53 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 29
I had the same experience and after many experiments I find out the response - the CD's sound much better with true multibit DAC's (ladder or R-2R are other names). That old Magnavox is the US version of the Philips CD650, with TDA1541 (DAC), SAA7220P/A (4x OS filter) and CDM-2 (transport). Altough TDA1541 is not really a ladder-type, is a true multibit DAC.
I have a similar Philips CD player and comparing it with newer Denon, Toshiba, employing delta-sigma DAC's was what started my search. I found out that I enjoy even more the sound of players that had as DAC chip another type of multibit - Burr Brown PCM61P (I have three different models, two Denon, one Yamaha) or AD1860N (Analog Devices version of the same). A list that shows what DAC's are inside various CD players can be found here:
http://vasiltech.nm.ru/CD-Player-DAC-Transport.htm

What old players usually need is replacing of dried-up electrolytic capacitors (and paralleling with some ones with lower value, non polarized) and also replace the opamps in analog stage with modern ones, better suited for audio applications.
post #13 of 24 Old 08-08-2013, 03:42 AM

Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoNic67 View Post

What old players usually need is replacing of dried-up electrolytic capacitors (and paralleling with some ones with lower value, non polarized) and also replace the opamps in analog stage with modern ones, better suited for audio applications.

Half right. Old electrolytic caps can dry up and loose the ability to pass bass signals. I've seen it happen in a few years, and I have equipment that is 30 years old and still meets original spec. IOW, YMMV,

OP amp upgrades are generally do-nothing exercises if you do proper listening tests, or even measurements on the test bench. There have been excellent reasonably-priced op amps for audio for maybe 30 years. Some of them, believe it or not are still being made and sold for ridiculously low prices. There's no excuse for bad sounding op amps in audio gear, and these days they are very rare.

There's a reason why op amp upgrade articles on the web generally don't have ABX tests. That's because an ABX test would demonstrate the futility of the exercise. Those same articles generally don't have technical tests, but a few do. They may or may not show the addition of a sonically useless leading zero on some THD spec.

Paralleling big caps with little caps is generally useless, based on both good listening tests, and measurements. Polarized caps in CD players generally cause no difficulties for a variety of reasons that I can explain if asked.

My favorite morning dish - a plate full of audiophile myths to debunk! ;-)
post #14 of 24 Old 08-10-2013, 06:53 PM
Advanced Member

You never heard a modded CD with newer OpAmps in IV stage, but you keep guessing about it. Some old CD players had execrable OpAmps. Only the top-shelf ones had the 5532, and that jellybean is surpassed by lots of newer OpAmps, especially when used in the IV stage. Any half-hearing individual can tell you that.
As for capacitor story, you are again showing more knowledge than every EE in the world. Congrats...

You sound like the fox and the grapes. Sorry for your hearing... you miss a lot in life, I can understand somehow your hatred for the ones that can still hear.
post #15 of 24 Old 08-10-2013, 07:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked: 295
Quote:
You never heard a modded CD with newer OpAmps in IV stage, but you keep guessing about it.
We're not guessing, we're applying scientific principles. That's one of the neat things about science. You don't have to experience things personally in order to understand them. Try it sometime—if you dare.
Quote:
Sorry for your hearing... you miss a lot in life, I can understand somehow your hatred for the ones that can still hear.
Sorry for your thinking. You miss a lot in life.
bo130 likes this.

If you can't explain how it works, you can't say it doesn't.—The High-End Creed

post #16 of 24 Old 08-10-2013, 11:28 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 71
Quote:

I can understand somehow your hatred for the ones that can still hear.

Hatred is a strong word.. Curious how you chose that....
post #17 of 24 Old 08-11-2013, 10:51 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

You never heard a modded CD with newer OpAmps in IV stage, but you keep guessing about it.

I'm not guessing. I've heard what comes before all that which is the high rez recording of the live performance before it was made into a CD, and compared it to the CD-qualty downsample of it.
Quote:
Some old CD players had execrable OpAmps. Only the top-shelf ones had the 5532, and that jellybean is surpassed by lots of newer OpAmps, especially when used in the IV stage.

Please compare and contrast numbers for the sake of numbers versus actual sound quality.
Quote:
Any half-hearing individual can tell you that.

That would be an ignorant insult. I've done op amp DBTs. What happens if you built 20 stages out of sub-5532 op amps, and compare that to a short straight piece of wire? I know and I verified it with virtually 100s of experienced audiophiles and audio engineers. No difference!
Quote:
As for capacitor story, you are again showing more knowledge than every EE in the world. Congrats...

Not every EE in the world believes every audiophile myth that comes out of the web. In fact most of the ones that actually work with audio know better.
post #18 of 24 Old 08-11-2013, 11:00 AM
Advanced Member

You keep repeating the same bull that measurements don't matter, that quality of parts or layout does not matter.
Please provide a link that you tested a $20-40 DVD player (new in store, not ebay) next to another decent one. I did test those and open them, listen to them before and after, measured them before and after modding the analog stage. No wonder they are absolutely horrid sounding, the parts they use cannot do the job, they are not meant for it. In unitary gain mode almost every OpAmp sounds ok, like a wire, but when you really need them to do their job (I/V, filtering) then the cheap ones fail.
EE believe in measurements, not in audiophile stories. EE designed all those chips based on real tests, not imaginary ones. You cannot provide measurements for your own tests, you probably just jumbled a bunch of parts together and ABX them... then, based on flawed testing, you generalized your mantra. And you have convinced a couple of kids here to believe in that too.

PS: I am still waiting to hear what studies do you have, that you disparage so much the EE's.
post #19 of 24 Old 08-11-2013, 11:08 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

You keep repeating the same bull that measurements don't matter, that quality of parts or layout does not matter.
Please provide a link that you tested a $20-40 DVD player (new in store, not ebay) next to another decent one. I did test those and open them, listen to them before and after, measured them before and after modding the analog stage. No wonder they are absolutely horrid sounding, the parts they use cannot do the job, they are not meant for it. In unitary gain mode almost every OpAmp sounds ok, like a wire, but when you really need them to do their job (I/V, filtering) then the cheap ones fail.
EE believe in measurements, not in audiophile stories. EE designed all those chips based on real tests, not imaginary ones. You cannot provide measurements for your own tests, you probably just jumbled a bunch of parts together and ABX them... then, based on flawed testing, you generalized your mantra. And you have convinced a couple of kids here to believe in that too.

PS: I am still waiting to hear what studies do you have, that you disparage so much the EE's.

What you fail to understand is nobody is doubting differences in measurements from one component/part.

Understand that?

What this gets down to is - are the differences AUDIBLE?

Understand that part? Okay if you do, lets move on.

How do you go about proving the differences in audibility? How much credence do you give any given test. Do you place more weight on subjective sighted testing, or blind?

Understand that

If there were REAL differences between any given component/part, they would be THERE in both a sighted AND unsighted test. It wouldn't SOELY exist simply in someone's BELIEF.
beaveav likes this.
post #20 of 24 Old 08-11-2013, 11:14 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

I never said that, and I defy you to quote me saying such a thing.

Quote:

If I actually did such a thing (which I have) you might say (and actually very reasonably) that I am so biased that I stacked the test against you.

No, this is a test that an advocate of the alleged upgrades perform. I recuse myself on the grounds of potential bias.
Quote:
EE believe in measurements, not in audiophile stories.

Since you claim to believe in measurements, please show me an example of a CD player upgrade that measures out to create an improvement that is above the known thresholds for hearing distortion, noise, and frequency response variations.
Quote:
EE designed all those chips based on real tests, not imaginary ones.

If that is true please show us an example of an op amp design that showed an audible improvement based on a proper bias-controlled listening test.
Quote:
You cannot provide measurements for your own tests, you probably just jumbled a bunch of parts together and ABX them... then, based on flawed testing, you generalized your mantra. And you have convinced a couple of kids here to believe in that too.

You are libelling me. Of course I own several complete suites of audio test gear including two made by Audio Precision.

Quote:

Please see below
Quote:
EE designed all those chips based on real tests, not imaginary ones. You cannot provide measurements for your own tests, you probably just jumbled a bunch of parts together and ABX them... then, based on flawed testing, you generalized your mantra. And you have convinced a couple of kids here to believe in that too.

Wait no longer:

Bailar, John C. III, Mosteller, Frederick, "Guidelines for Statistical Reporting in Articles for Medical Journals", Annals of Internal Medicine, 108:266-273, (1988).
Buchlein, R., "The Audibility of Frequency Response Irregularities" (1962), reprinted in English in Journal of the Audio Engineering Society, Vol. 29, pp. 126-131 (1981)
Burstein, Herman, "Approximation Formulas for Error Risk and Sample Size in ABX Testing", Journal of the Audio Engineering Society, Vol. 36, p. 879 (1988)
Burstein, Herman, "Transformed Binomial Confidence Limits for Listening Tests", Journal of the Audio Engineering Society, Vol. 37, p. 363 (1989)
Carlstrom, David, Greenhill, Laurence, Krueger, Arnold, "Some Amplifiers Do Sound Different", The Audio Amateur, 3/82, p. 30, 31, also reprinted in Hi-Fi News & Record Review, Link House Magazines, United Kingdom, Dec 1982, p. 37.
CBC Enterprises, "Science and Deception, Parts I-IV", Ideas, October 17, 1982, CBC Transcripts, P. O. Box 500, Station A, Toronto, Ontario, Canada M5W 1E6
Clark, D. L., Krueger, A. B., Muller, B. F., Carlstrom, D., "Lipshitz/Jung Forum", Audio Amateur, Vol. 10 No. 4, pp. 56-57 (0ct 1979)
Clark, D. L., "Is It Live Or Is It Digital? A Listening Workshop", Journal of the Audio Engineering Society, Vol.33 No.9, pp.740-1 (September 1985)
Clark, David L., "A/B/Xing DCC", Audio, APR 01 1992 v 76 n 4, p. 32
Clark, David L., "High-Resolution Subjective Testing Using a Double-Blind Comparator", Journal of the Audio Engineering Society, Vol. 30 No. 5, May 1982, pp. 330-338.
Diamond, George A., Forrester, James S., "Clinical Trials and Statistical Verdicts: Probable Grounds for Appeal", Annals of Internal Medicine, 98:385-394, (1983).
Downs, Hugh, "The High-Fidelity Trap", Modern HI-FI & Stereo Guide, Vol. 2 No. 5, pp. 66-67, Maco Publishing Co., New York (December 1972)
Frick, Robert, "Accepting the Null Hypothesis", Memory and Cognition, Journal of the Psychonomic Society, Inc., 23(1), 132-138, (1995).
Fryer, P.A. "Loudspeaker Distortions: Can We Hear Them?", Hi-Fi News and Record Review, Vol. 22, pp 51-56 (1977 June)
Gabrielsonn and Sjogren, "Preceived Sound Quality of Sound Reproducing Systems", Journal of the Acoustical Society of America, Vol 65, pp 1019-1033 (1979 April)
Gabrielsonn, "Dimension Analyses of Perceived Sound Quality of Sound Reproducing Systems", Scand. J. Psychology, Vol. 20, pp. 159-169 (1979)
Greenhill, Laurence , "Speaker Cables: Can you Hear the Difference?" Stereo Review, ( Aug 1983)
Greenhill, L. L. and Clark, D. L., "Equipment Profile", Audio, (April 1985)
Grusec, Ted, Thibault, Louis, Beaton, Richard, "Sensitive Methodolgies for the Subjective Evaluation of High Quality Audio Coding Systems", Presented at Audio Engineering Society UK DSP Conference 14-15 September 1992, available from Government of Canada Communcations Research Center, 3701 Carling Ave., Ottawa, Ontario, Canada K1Y 3Y7.
Hirsch, Julian, "Audio 101: Physical Laws and Subjective Responses", Stereo Review, April 1996
Hudspeth, A. J., and Markin, Vladislav S., "The Ear's Gears: Mechanoelectrical Transduction By Hair Cells", Physics Today, 47:22-8, Feb 1994.
ITU-R BS.1116, "Methods for the Subjective Assessment of Small Impairment in Audio Systems Including Multichannel Sound Systems", Geneva, Switzerland (1994).
Lipschitz, Stanley P., and Van der kooy, John, "The Great Debate: Subjective Evaluation", Journal of the Audio Engineering Society, Vol. 29 No. 7/8, Jul/Aug 1981, pp. 482-491.
Masters, I. G. and Clark, D. L., "Do All Amplifiers Sound the Same?", Stereo Review, pp. 78-84 (January 1987)
Masters, Ian G. and Clark, D. L., "Do All CD Players Sound the Same?", Stereo Review, pp.50-57 (January 1986)
Masters, Ian G. and Clark, D. L., "The Audibility of Distortion", Stereo Review, pp.72-78 (January 1989)
Meyer, E. Brad, "The Amp-Speaker Interface (Tube vs. solid-state)", Stereo Review, pp.53-56 (June 1991)
Nousaine, Thomas, "Wired Wisdom: The Great Chicago Cable Caper", Sound and Vision, Vol. 11 No. 3 (1995)
Nousaine, Thomas, "Flying Blind: The Case Against Long Term Testing", Audio, pp. 26-30, Vol. 81 No. 3 (March 1997)
Nousaine, Thomas, "Can You Trust Your Ears?", Stereo Review, pp. 53-55, Vol. 62 No. 8 (August 1997)
Olive, Sean E., et al, "The Perception of Resonances at Low Frequencies", Journal of the Audio Engineering Society, Vol. 40, p. 1038 (Dec 1992)
Olive, Sean E., Schuck, Peter L., Ryan, James G., Sally, Sharon L., Bonneville, Marc E., "The Detection Thresholds of Resonances at Low Frequencies", Journal of the Audio Engineering Society, Vol. 45, p. 116-128, (March 1997)
Pease, Bob, "What's All This Splicing Stuff, Anyhow?", Electronic Design, (December 27, 1990) Recent Columns, http://www.national.com/rap/
Pohlmann, Ken C., "6 Top CD Players: Can You Hear the Difference?", Stereo Review, pp.76-84 (December 1988)
Pohlmann, Ken C., "The New CD Players, Can You Hear the Difference?", Stereo Review, pp.60-67 (October 1990)
Schatzoff, Martin, "Design of Experiments in Computer Performance Evaluation", IBM Journal of Research and Development, Vol. 25 No. 6, November 1981
Shanefield, Daniel, "The Great Ego Crunchers: Equalized, Double-Blind Tests", High Fidelity, March 1980, pp. 57-61
Simon, Richard, "Confidence Intervals for Reporting Results of Clinical Trials", Annals of Internal Medicine, 105:429-435, (1986).
Spiegel, D., "A Defense of Switchbox Testing", Boston Audio Society Speaker, Vol. 7 no. 9 (June 1979)
Stallings, William M., "Mind Your p's and Alphas", Educational Researcher, November 1995, pp. 19-20
Toole, Floyd E., "Listening Tests - Turning Opinion Into Fact", Journal of the Audio Engineering Society, Vol. 30, No. 6, June 1982, pp. 431-445.
Toole, Floyd E., "The Subjective Measurements of Loudspeaker Sound Quality & Listener Performance", Journal of the Audio Engineering Society, Vol. 33, pp. 2-32 (1985 Jan/Feb)
Toole, Floyd E., and Olive, Sean E., "The Detection of Reflections in Typical Rooms", Journal of the Audio Engineering Society, Vol. 39, pp. 539-553 (1989 July/Aug)
Toole, Floyd E., and Olive, Sean E., "Hearing is Believing vs. Believing is Hearing: Blind vs. Sighted Tests, and Other Interesting Things", 97th AES Convention (San Francisco, Nov. 10-13, 1994), [3893 (H-5], 20 pages.
Toole, Floyd E., and Olive, Sean E., "The Modification of Timbre By Resonances: Perception & Measurement", Journal of the Audio Engineering Society, Vol 36, pp. 122-142 (1988 March).
Warren, Richard M., "Auditory Illusions and their Relation to Mechanisms Enhancing Accuracy of Perception", Journal of the Audio Engineering Society, Vol. 31 No. 9 (1983 September).
post #21 of 24 Old 08-11-2013, 02:58 PM
Advanced Member

You wrote all those? Because if not, I can add Newton and Einstein in my camp then...
Or just those articles in a magazine? It's OK, you can be wrong in your field and still published. Nobody can sue you for that.
post #22 of 24 Old 08-11-2013, 04:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 251
Quote:

You never heard a modded CD with newer OpAmps in IV stage, but you keep guessing about it. Some old CD players had execrable OpAmps. Only the top-shelf ones had the 5532, and that jellybean is surpassed by lots of newer OpAmps, especially when used in the IV stage. Any half-hearing individual can tell you that.

You sound like the fox and the grapes. Sorry for your hearing... you miss a lot in life, I can understand somehow your hatred for the ones that can still hear.

Once again you act as if Arny is the only one who has ever done blind testing and been unable to differentiate one component from another. rolleyes.gif

For every new thing I learn, I forget two things I used to know.
post #23 of 24 Old 08-11-2013, 05:04 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

You wrote all those? Because if not, I can add Newton and Einstein in my camp then...
Or just those articles in a magazine? It's OK, you can be wrong in your field and still published. Nobody can sue you for that.

Are all of those papers wrong?

How can you tell?

Have you read any of them?
post #24 of 24 Old 08-11-2013, 05:07 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bo130 View Post

What you fail to understand is nobody is doubting differences in measurements from one component/part.

Understand that?

What this gets down to is - are the differences AUDIBLE?

Understand that part? Okay if you do, lets move on.

How do you go about proving the differences in audibility? How much credence do you give any given test. Do you place more weight on subjective sighted testing, or blind?

Understand that

If there were REAL differences between any given component/part, they would be THERE in both a sighted AND unsighted test. It wouldn't SOELY exist simply in someone's BELIEF.

(hears crickets chirp).....
CruelInventions likes this.
Reply CD Players & Dedicated Music Transports

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page