Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked: 65
Esoteric, Sony ES SCD-1 and Unison Research are faves among the famous
post #843 of 862 Old 11-19-2014, 11:54 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Popped for an Oppo 105 today. Balanced XLR to a Halo P5 preamp, output to an OTL amp driving Klipsch Forte's or Zu Druids in the mail. Looking to doing a proper set-up and then enjoying some good 'ole 2 channel soundstage.......
post #844 of 862 Old 11-19-2014, 01:13 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 153
That sounds tasty!
post #845 of 862 Old 11-19-2014, 07:43 PM

Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brap View Post
Popped for an Oppo 105 today. Balanced XLR to a Halo P5 preamp, output to an OTL amp driving Klipsch Forte's or Zu Druids in the mail. Looking to doing a proper set-up and then enjoying some good 'ole 2 channel soundstage.......
I don't hear a difference between balanced and single-ended with my 105 and JC-2 BP. Parasound pads the XLR input so the level remains constant with switching, and that makes it easy to compare the two while a disc is being played. I can't tell when switching occurs. Oppo claims there is no difference (except for the 6 dB) and that seems to be true.

db

Thorens TD 124, SME Series III arm with Ortofon SME 30 H cartridge into Parasound JC-3 phono stage
Ayre C-5xeMP, Oppo BDP-105, & Sony XA5400ES disc players
Parasound JC-2 preamp into Proceed HPA amps
KEF Reference 107/2 mains & 102 surrounds
Velodyne SMS-1 bass managers & a pair of HGS-15 subs
post #846 of 862 Old 11-19-2014, 07:48 PM

I should have noted that the lack of difference is important to me, because the JC-2 BP has only two XLR inputs, and an Ayre C-5xeMP and JC-3 phono stage use those-- Ayre does recommend an XLR connection.

db

Thorens TD 124, SME Series III arm with Ortofon SME 30 H cartridge into Parasound JC-3 phono stage
post #847 of 862 Old 11-19-2014, 10:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 99 Post(s)
Liked: 329
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbphd View Post
I don't hear a difference between balanced and single-ended with my 105 and JC-2 BP. Parasound pads the XLR input so the level remains constant with switching, and that makes it easy to compare the two while a disc is being played. I can't tell when switching occurs. Oppo claims there is no difference (except for the 6 dB) and that seems to be true.

db
That's good that you don't hear a difference. From an engineering perspective, there shouldn't be one. The XLR ins/outs should only be needed if/when you have a really long cable run, such as in studio environments. Most cable runs in homes are relatively short.

For every new thing I learn, I forget two things I used to know.
post #848 of 862 Old 11-20-2014, 06:39 AM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 16
According to the folks who I purchased it from,using XLR takes out the Halo DAC so only the OPPO DAC is used during playback for audio.
post #849 of 862 Old 11-20-2014, 09:48 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
You will enjoy your setup. I have something similar. I have the Oppo 105 and a Parasound A-21. But, I am now going to sell the Oppo and replace it with a Arcam CDS-27 (Their newly released CD player). I have decided to go more two channel and using the Oppo for cd play back when it can do so much more ( I am using a fraction of its capabilities) is kinda waste even though it performs and sounds wonderful. Heck, with my hearing everything sound good . :-) Another thing driving my decision is that I have no immediate need or desire to convert my CD collect to music files on my PC so dedicated CD player works for me. I will add a external DAC when I cross that bridge and use the CD player as the transport. Anyway, love Parasound products.
post #850 of 862 Old 11-20-2014, 01:43 PM

Quote:
According to the folks who I purchased it from,using XLR takes out the Halo DAC so only the OPPO DAC is used during playback for audio.
That seems incorrect to me, but my experience is entirely with Parasound's analog devices, the JC-2 BP and JC-3. I'd contact Richard Schram at Parasound. He's very helpful. If you're connecting an Oppo 105 to the Halo, it's unlikely to matter whether you use XLR or not.

db

post #851 of 862 Old 11-20-2014, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beaveav View Post
That's good that you don't hear a difference. From an engineering perspective, there shouldn't be one. The XLR ins/outs should only be needed if/when you have a really long cable run, such as in studio environments. Most cable runs in homes are relatively short.
That comports with what has been my understanding, but Ayre recommends using a balanced connection so that's what I use with the C-5xeMP. My understanding is that there are different implementations of balanced, so it's not a simple either or decision.

db

post #852 of 862 Old 11-20-2014, 02:11 PM
FMW
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 470 Post(s)
Liked: 830
Quote:
That comports with what has been my understanding, but Ayre recommends using a balanced connection so that's what I use with the C-5xeMP. My understanding is that there are different implementations of balanced, so it's not a simple either or decision.
Unbalanced connections have a positive and a ground wire for carrying the current. Balanced connections have positive, negative and ground. The advantage of a balanced connection is that it rejects interference and ground loops better making it a better choice than unbalanced for reasonably long distances. For the short distances involved in home audio installations, it doesn't normally make any difference whether connections are balanced or unbalanced.

One of the characteristics of balanced connections is that they produce a 6 db higher level at the output so, all other things being equal, the balanced connection will play louder.

One of the "implementations" as you put it, is that many home audio components have balanced connectors but unbalanced circuitry inside. I have no idea how Ayre does it. But that implementation defeats the benefits of balanced audio connections. That may be but probably is not an issue for home audio.
post #853 of 862 Old 11-20-2014, 08:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FMW View Post
One of the "implementations" as you put it, is that many home audio components have balanced connectors but unbalanced circuitry inside. I have no idea how Ayre does it. But that implementation defeats the benefits of balanced audio connections. That may be but probably is not an issue for home audio.
The Ayre and Parasound units are said to be balanced from stem to stern. As with most things, details of implementation probably vary.

db

post #854 of 862 Old 11-21-2014, 12:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 509 Post(s)
Liked: 1024
Quote:
The Ayre and Parasound units are said to be balanced from stem to stern. As with most things, details of implementation probably vary.

db
Said to be? Whassat mean? Hopefully maybe?

"I realize that somebody playing free music isn't as commercial as a hamburger stand. But is it because you can eat a hamburger and hold it in your hand and you can't do that with music? Is it too free to control?" - Don Van Vliet (aka Captain Beefheart) discussing commercial success in the music biz

post #855 of 862 Old 11-21-2014, 01:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovinthehd View Post
Said to be? Whassat mean? Hopefully maybe?
That means I haven't verified the claim, much as all CD/SACD players are said to sound alike, except I have more confidence in those who say their units are completely balanced.

db

post #856 of 862 Old 11-21-2014, 01:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 509 Post(s)
Liked: 1024
Quote:
That means I haven't verified the claim, much as all CD/SACD players are said to sound alike, except I have more confidence in those who say their units are completely balanced.

db
This information isn't available in the owner's manual or from the brand themselves?

"I realize that somebody playing free music isn't as commercial as a hamburger stand. But is it because you can eat a hamburger and hold it in your hand and you can't do that with music? Is it too free to control?" - Don Van Vliet (aka Captain Beefheart) discussing commercial success in the music biz

post #857 of 862 Old 11-21-2014, 09:38 AM

Quoted: 171 Post(s)
Liked: 94
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovinthehd View Post
Said to be? Whassat mean?
It was an example of blather.
post #858 of 862 Old 11-21-2014, 08:09 PM

And the bullies show up again. Have you nothing better to do but make yourselves seem like adolescent jerks?

db
David Susilo likes this.

post #859 of 862 Old 11-22-2014, 02:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked: 794
Quote:
And the bullies show up again. Have you nothing better to do but make yourselves seem like adolescent jerks?

db
so folks who post up stuff you don't like to hear are bullies? me thinks some openmindedness and thicker skins on your part is in order.

I don't need snobs to tell me how to think, thank you!
post #860 of 862 Old 11-22-2014, 08:21 AM
FMW
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 470 Post(s)
Liked: 830
Quote:
If you connect a player to a preamplifier with a digital connection, the premp's DAC will do the conversion. If you connect it with an analog connection the player's DAC will get the job done. It isn't any more complicated than that.

Last edited by FMW; 11-22-2014 at 12:02 PM.
post #861 of 862 Old 11-22-2014, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67jason View Post
so folks who post up stuff you don't like to hear are bullies? me thinks some openmindedness and thicker skins on your part is in order.
You missed the point. I objected to pouncing on a turn of phrase as further evidence of bullying. I might understand the complaining about the use of passive voice if they were grammarians or members of the MLA, but, no, it was just willful misinterpretation.

Contrast this thread with the Oppo 105 owners' or Anthem tweakers' threads where you'll find helpful information rather than snarky comments.

db

post #862 of 862 Old 11-22-2014, 12:33 PM

Quoted: 171 Post(s)
Liked: 94
Quote:
You missed the point. I objected to pouncing on a turn of phrase as further evidence of bullying. I might understand the complaining about the use of passive voice if they were grammarians or members of the MLA, but, no, it was just willful misinterpretation.

Contrast this thread with the Oppo 105 owners' or Anthem tweakers' threads where you'll find helpful information rather than snarky comments.

db
So the comments you don't like are called snarky?
There are other forums that are contrast to this one and I'll bet that you will like them better.

Last edited by spkr; 11-22-2014 at 12:37 PM.
Reply CD Players & Dedicated Music Transports

Tags
Oppo Bdp 95 Blu Ray Player , Samsung Bd D5100 Blu Ray Disc Player
Gear in this thread - D5100 by PriceGrabber.com