VOCO Don't see anything here about it. Does anyone know anything about it? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 08-13-2013, 06:40 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I just saw an ad for this company in a magazine and looked at it online.
http://www.myvoco.com/

I can't find anything about real world use or any reviews anywhere. It streams music and two of the units can stream video. It says you can also use it as a wifi extender.

The online services are not all there for me but it does mention that they are expanding the supported list soon.

I would love to hear any input.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 08-18-2013, 07:00 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 29
It's very similar with 500 other cheap streamers, with addition of layer of remote software. There are mainly two manufacturers of chipsets for those cheap streamers (Realtek and Sigma), both offering (mediocre) integrated audio and video DACs in the main chip. The company that you ask about doesn't even give any information on their site about audio performance.

Personally I had issues with some firmware in streamers not being able to stream bit-perfect digital to an external AVR - I can't even imagine how is the actual decoding processed when you use analog output, mine was sounding and looking pretty bad. Firmwares are usually made by the chip manufacturer and customized for each "client" by different software companies, almost all located in Taiwan.
More expensive streamers are relying now on Android and Arm cipsets, mainly cheap versions from China - Allwinner, Rockchip, Amlogic...

After using a few different dedicated streamers (with both cipsets) and seeing the level of problems and lack of support that plague most of them, I give up and use a second-hand, mini format, PC for my streaming.
post #3 of 3 Old 08-18-2013, 09:52 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoNic67 View Post

It's very similar with 500 other cheap streamers, with addition of layer of remote software. There are mainly two manufacturers of chipsets for those cheap streamers (Realtek and Sigma), both offering (mediocre) integrated audio and video DACs in the main chip. The company that you ask about doesn't even give any information on their site about audio performance.

Personally I had issues with some firmware in streamers not being able to stream bit-perfect digital to an external AVR - I can't even imagine how is the actual decoding processed when you use analog output, mine was sounding and looking pretty bad. Firmwares are usually made by the chip manufacturer and customized for each "client" by different software companies, almost all located in Taiwan.
More expensive streamers are relying now on Android and Arm cipsets, mainly cheap versions from China - Allwinner, Rockchip, Amlogic...

After using a few different dedicated streamers (with both cipsets) and seeing the level of problems and lack of support that plague most of them, I give up and use a second-hand, mini format, PC for my streaming.
Thanks for the reply. What software app do you use to control it?

Thanks for the reply. What software app do you use to control it?
Reply CD Players & Dedicated Music Transports

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page