USB to SPDIF converter for Bryston BDA-1? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 48 Old 08-20-2013, 01:02 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Hi,

I am running a desktop computer and have a few high res files. My motherboard will not support sampling multiples of 44.1 (88.2, 176.4).
The system sounds great via CD player but there is something missing when playing from my computer (currently via coax).

I have tried out a Stello U3 and it sounded fantastic. Improved bass definition and separation, slightly better transients. Was quite surprised at the difference as I thought it was mostly BS.

I was just wondering if there are any other suggestions. Have been looking at the Musical Fidelity V-Link192, Stello and possibly the Audiophilleo.

My system is Foobar2k > Bryston BDA-1 > PS Audio GCC250 > Dynaudio Countour S1.4 with Bryston interconnects and Nordost Blue Heaven speaker cables.

I live in NZ so a lot is not available. Just wondering if anyone else with the BDA-1 has done this.

Many thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 48 Old 08-20-2013, 05:09 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 748 Post(s)
Liked: 1162
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isobaric View Post

Hi,

I am running a desktop computer and have a few high res files. My motherboard will not support sampling multiples of 44.1 (88.2, 176.4).
The system sounds great via CD player but there is something missing when playing from my computer (currently via coax).

I have tried out a Stello U3 and it sounded fantastic. Improved bass definition and separation, slightly better transients. Was quite surprised at the difference as I thought it was mostly BS.

Sighted evaluation, right?

Slow switching via cable swapping, right?
post #3 of 48 Old 08-20-2013, 02:35 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by arnyk View Post

It was an improvement on standard 16/44.1 tracks, it's just that I have a few tracks that are 88.2 and it won't play them unless I let windows down sample.

Don't really care if I can hear a difference between 16/44.1 and 24/88.2.
It's more a combination of OCD and laziness.

The point is there was a noticeable difference on all tracks, and I was seeking advice on whether people had tried multiple USB to SPDIF converters.
post #4 of 48 Old 08-20-2013, 03:11 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:

Just wondering if anyone else with the BDA-1 has done this.

Don't think there's too many members owning a BDA-1 here. Stuff like that is usually scoffed at.
post #5 of 48 Old 08-20-2013, 03:34 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks ThumbtackJack, looks like I have come to the wrong place.

Cheers.
post #6 of 48 Old 08-21-2013, 05:01 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Quote:

It was an improvement on standard 16/44.1 tracks, it's just that I have a few tracks that are 88.2 and it won't play them unless I let windows down sample.

Don't really care if I can hear a difference between 16/44.1 and 24/88.2.
It's more a combination of OCD and laziness.

The point is there was a noticeable difference on all tracks, and I was seeking advice on whether people had tried multiple USB to SPDIF converters.

Attempt to change the topic from poor quality/amateur listening test procedures to the media noted. Pardon me while I avoid falling down into your rabbit hole.
post #7 of 48 Old 08-21-2013, 05:02 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

The word science in the forum name should be a tip-off to people who actually know what Audio-Video Science is.
post #8 of 48 Old 08-21-2013, 08:22 AM

Liked: 14
Quote:

The word science in the forum name should be a tip-off to people who actually know what Audio-Video Science is.
"Oz has spoken!"
Pompous, belligerent, and arrogant?
LOL, what a marvelous person ;-)
post #9 of 48 Old 08-21-2013, 09:14 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RIKKITIK View Post

Quote:

"Oz has spoken!"
Pompous, belligerent, and arrogant?
LOL, what a marvelous person ;-)

Looks like I may have struck a nerve when I suggested that some who pontificate here are poorly informed about the scientific aspects of audio. Or not. ;-)
post #10 of 48 Old 08-21-2013, 09:27 AM

Liked: 14
Quote:

struck a nerve
smile.gif Heck no
I find you one of the more amusing keyboard comics on the internet. Thanks for tryin' tho.
Cheers!
post #11 of 48 Old 08-21-2013, 12:49 PM - Thread Starter

This is a thread about digital audio ArnyK. Not Projectors.

I am not all that interested in your ego, if you have nothing worth while inputting then there is plenty of other threads for you to post in.

Thank you RIKKITIK for showing there is maturity in these forums.

Cheers.
post #12 of 48 Old 08-21-2013, 04:18 PM

Liked: 10
I didn't know science specifically only applies to low-priced items.
post #13 of 48 Old 08-21-2013, 04:29 PM

Liked: 49
Quote:

Cheers.
When buying a car, don't you test drive before deciding?
post #14 of 48 Old 08-21-2013, 06:37 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by diomania View Post

Quote:

Cheers.
When buying a car, don't you test drive before deciding?

Point being that unlike certain things in audio, cars are usually really different. There isn't the one-dimension focus like we seem to have in audio, where everything is supposed to sound better and its almost like that is all that matters.
post #15 of 48 Old 08-21-2013, 10:44 PM

Looks like he didn't test "drive" this forum before registering.
post #16 of 48 Old 08-21-2013, 11:15 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Well there really isn't all that much difference.
It seems there is an inherent problem whereas if it is a science you can't comprehend, you deem the need to dismiss it entirely.

Please refrain from posting any more off topic, inane comments in this thread.
post #17 of 48 Old 08-22-2013, 08:59 AM

Quote:

Well there really isn't all that much difference.
It seems there is an inherent problem whereas if it is a science you can't comprehend, you deem the need to dismiss it entirely.

Please refrain from posting any more off topic, inane comments in this thread.
You seem irritated by how things are on this forum. frown.gif In that case, there are other forums that are different. Would you like me to recommend some?
post #18 of 48 Old 08-22-2013, 09:45 AM

Quote:

You seem irritated by how things are on this forum. frown.gif In that case, there are other forums that are different. Would you like me to recommend some?

Post 1: USB to SPDIF converter
Post 3:"...I was seeking advice on whether people had tried multiple USB to SPDIF converters."

We've had seventeen posts to bicker back and forth and boost our ego's, but not a post actually addressing the OP's original question. Guess I'd feel a little irritated, too. frown.gif
post #19 of 48 Old 08-22-2013, 10:36 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kashmereino View Post

We've had seventeen posts to bicker back and forth and boost our ego's, but not a post actually addressing the OP's original question. Guess I'd feel a little irritated, too. frown.gif

You are ignoring the fact that the OP's alleged question was apparenly based on an assertion that is most likely false.

What to do when faced with a poor soul who believes in things that are probably false?
post #20 of 48 Old 08-22-2013, 06:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kashmereino View Post

So you bought a car without test driving and now complain because the ride isn't what you want? rolleyes.gif
post #21 of 48 Old 08-23-2013, 04:15 PM

Quote:

So you bought a car without test driving and now complain because the ride isn't what you want? rolleyes.gif

Any more words you want to put in my mouth?
post #22 of 48 Old 08-23-2013, 11:17 PM - Thread Starter

Well despite my best efforts for a recommendation I have chosen to go with a Bryston BUC-1 when it is released as well as a Yamaha CD-S1000 for CD and SACD playback depending on how I feel.

Thanks for all who contributedwink.gif
post #23 of 48 Old 09-19-2013, 03:13 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 165 Post(s)
Liked: 142
Sorry to join late, but I actually do have a suggestion - an Oppo BDP-105. It has USB input for streamed data, network connection (wired and wireless), 3 USB ports for local drives, SPDIF / Toslink, and HDMI input along with Sabre 32bit DACs and balanced outputs. So powerful and flexible that I am actually using it as my control center directly connected to amps - very minimal system.

You aren't the only one who can hear the difference between a low end CD player / AVR and a high end system, I can hear the difference too. I don't know if it is the 10x increase in power, 1/100 the distortion, the balanced connections, the better DACs, or all of these things combined but I can hear a difference. The one thing that I can actually prove is that there is a better noise floor. Full volume, disc player playing an all zero test track: System 1 - I can hear hiss from speakers at the primary listening position, System 2 - I cannot hear anything even with my ear right against the drivers.

System 1 (my garage system electronics): Sony CDP-315 CD player - analog outputs to Yamaha RX-495 2-Ch AVR - connected to my Paradigm Signature S4 speakers
System 2: (my 2-channel system) Oppo BDP-105 BD - balanced outputs to Bryston 4BSST2, connected to my Paradigm Signature S4 speakers

2-Ch (HT L/R): Oppo BDP-105 BD, Adcom GFP-750 pre, Bryston 10B Sub Xover, Bryston 4BSST2 / Paradigm Signature S4 v.2 (L/R), (2) SVS SB12-NSD (Subs)
Home Theater: Bryston 4BSST2 amp / Paradigm CC-590 (C), Outlaw 7700 amp / (4) Def Tech UIW-RSSII (LS/RS/LB/RB), Samsung 46” 3D LCD
post #24 of 48 Old 09-19-2013, 06:55 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtn-tech View Post

You aren't the only one who can hear the difference between a low end CD player / AVR and a high end system, I can hear the difference too. I don't know if it is the 10x increase in power, 1/100 the distortion, the balanced connections, the better DACs, or all of these things combined but I can hear a difference. The one thing that I can actually prove is that there is a better noise floor. Full volume, disc player playing an all zero test track: System 1 - I can hear hiss from speakers at the primary listening position, System 2 - I cannot hear anything even with my ear right against the drivers.

Apparently you want to start up the bickering again. Given the low level of the evidence you have provided, what we can really determine for sure is that you think that you can hear a difference. I don't think that you understand that if I do listening evaluations the informal way you probably do your listening evaluations, I hear differences all of the time, too. Problem is, the audible differences are related to the problems with informal evaluations, not any actual audible differences among the gear.

Since you haven't identified specific pieces of equipment, you really haven't said anything that actually has hands or feet. The controversy has never been about the lowest end equipment versus the highest end equipment, but rather about ones that meet certain reasonable standards for quality. I think that all you've really shown is that you don't have a very complete understanding of the issues that most of us are discussing.
post #25 of 48 Old 09-21-2013, 05:54 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Apparently you want to start up the bickering again ... I think that all you've really shown is that you don't have a very complete understanding of the issues that most of us are discussing.

First, I actually had a suggestion for the OP - something that no one else had. Second, no bickering required - just my opinion that I can hear a difference between components with lower noise floor, lower distortion, and more power. I understand the issues just fine, I just don't happen to agree with you - no amount of science is going to change that.

I cannot hear the difference between interconnects, speaker wires, and other such tweeks, but I can hear the difference between better speakers (obviously) and to a lesser degree better preamps, DACs, and amplifiers. I didn't say that my budget system doesn't have a reasonable standard of quality (it sounds quite good for its modest quality and build), but better components sound better to me. And the main reason I have a system of separates isn't because I can prove they sound better (even though they do), it is because they are more flexible for future upgrades and allow me (not some AVR manufacturer) to decide how I want my system to work. AV isn't only a science, it is a hobby and the components I select support my interests.

2-Ch (HT L/R): Oppo BDP-105 BD, Adcom GFP-750 pre, Bryston 10B Sub Xover, Bryston 4BSST2 / Paradigm Signature S4 v.2 (L/R), (2) SVS SB12-NSD (Subs)
Home Theater: Bryston 4BSST2 amp / Paradigm CC-590 (C), Outlaw 7700 amp / (4) Def Tech UIW-RSSII (LS/RS/LB/RB), Samsung 46” 3D LCD
post #26 of 48 Old 09-22-2013, 02:52 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtn-tech View Post

Quote:

Apparently you want to start up the bickering again ... I think that all you've really shown is that you don't have a very complete understanding of the issues that most of us are discussing.

First, I actually had a suggestion for the OP - something that no one else had. Second, no bickering required - just my opinion that I can hear a difference between components with lower noise floor, lower distortion, and more power. I understand the issues just fine, I just don't happen to agree with you - no amount of science is going to change that.

Actually, any amount of science changes that. You've put yourself in a logic proof box, enjoy! ;-)
post #27 of 48 Old 09-22-2013, 07:34 PM - Thread Starter

Hi mtn-tech,

thanks for your input.

I tried the Oppo BDP-105 and it tarnished the results, it's good value for money but the bryston's USB is in fact better sounding despite using a 'lesser' technology. I find implementation tends to win against newer technology 9 times out of 10.

Ignore Arny K, he is just a forum troll.

I work with this gear 5 days a week and it is very apparent that different DACs and amplifiers give very different results with different speakers.
Despite most amplifiers having frequency responses of 1-100kHz +/- 0.1dB and unmeasurable levels of THD, there is a lot of other, very measurable specifications that play a vital role in signal reproduction.

Thanks again smile.gif
post #28 of 48 Old 09-22-2013, 07:59 PM

Quote:

I work with this gear 5 days a week and it is very apparent that different DACs and amplifiers give very different results with different speakers.
That's what happens when you listen to gears at different volume levels. Even 2 of the same model will sound different if you listen like that.
Quote:
Despite most amplifiers having frequency responses of 1-100kHz +/- 0.1dB and unmeasurable levels of THD,
How did you find that out?
Quote:
there is a lot of other, very measurable specifications that play a vital role in signal reproduction.
Such as?
beaveav likes this.
post #29 of 48 Old 09-23-2013, 02:28 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

I tried the Oppo BDP-105 and it tarnished the results, it's good value for money but the bryston's USB is in fact better sounding despite using a 'lesser' technology. I find implementation tends to win against newer technology 9 times out of 10.

I have a high end DAC from the late 90's (Adcom GDA-700) and the Oppo's DACs are much better so I'm not surprised that the Bryston DAC is better yet. As you can see from my system, I use a Bryston 10B Sub crossover and a 4BSST2 amp to drive my mains and feed my subs. Bryston components are so revealing that I can hear issues in lesser recordings that I've never heard before but when playing an excellent recording they can bring it to a whole new level.

post #30 of 48 Old 09-23-2013, 02:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked: 790
Placebo effect is out in full force in this thread.
beaveav and Darvis like this.

I don't need snobs to tell me how to think, thank you!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Why you wouldn't want to join
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
forum
Reply CD Players & Dedicated Music Transports

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page