Frustrated Audio CD Recorder Owner - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 16 Old 09-16-2013, 12:53 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I’m a very frustrated audio cd recorder. I have an old Marantz compact disc recorder, Model DR6050. (I’m an old timer but I still record audio CD music onto blank discs.) I play the recorded cd's on my Yamaha disc changer (Model CDM-900) and in my car cd changer (Alpine 5630) as well as the Marantz.

Trying to find blank audio cd discs that work has been an ongoing frustration. I’ve tried almost every brand and never know what I’m going to get. Some will read and record, some won’t. Some will record and play but after some continue play will no longer read or then skip, stick, etc.

Many years ago, I found Fujifilm 80 minute CD-R Audio blank discs that worked. They were made in Japan. At the time, I bought 200 blank discs and over time I used them up. Now Fujifilm audio blanks are no longer made in Japan. I bought the non-Japanese Fuji audio blanks (made in Taiwan) and they don’t work. So here I go again. I contacted several online internet CDR media stores and surprislngly no can give me any answers. I did my own research and found Taiyo Yuden CDR audio blank discs. Everyone raves about them and the descriptor states that their blanks are compatible with all CD Recorders. I bought them (Taiyo Yuden CDR80WPP600SK CDR 52X) and they don’t work - message reads not audio cd - ugh!

I’m looking for 74 to 80-minute cd-r and/or cd-rw audio blank discs that are guaranteed to work. I’d prefer cd-rw because they can be erased if I mess up a recording. (Unfortunately recorded cd-rw's don't play on my Yamaha disc changer.) I’m looking for quality so willing to pay a little extra for something that is guaranteed to read, record and last and work on the for mentioned equipment. My concern is I don’t record frequently so I can’t test every disc to ensure they work. Two or three months from now, if one or several blank discs don’t work, I’m screwed.

I’m retired on a fixed income and this is my enjoyment. I don’t record everyday but when I do, they need to record and last. I can know longer afford to throw money down the toilet.

Any help or guidance is greatly appreciated.

Artcal
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old 09-16-2013, 01:34 PM
FMW
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 368 Post(s)
Liked: 763
You need 74 minuteCD-R or CD-RW discs made for CD recorders. They are very hard to find anymore. My supply is down to a few dozen. CD ripping is best done on your computer. It is far faster. You can use the CD recorder for dubbing vinyl or tape. Good luck. When my supply runs out, I'll donate my CD recorder to Goodwill. It is hopelessly obselete, just like me.
post #3 of 16 Old 09-16-2013, 03:58 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for your prompt response. I'm aware of CD ripping via computer. I'm sort of a purist. I have a lot of old vinyl (and new vinyl) and tape cassettes. I have a high end turntable and still prefer vinyl vs. MP3 and store bought CD's. To me, there is a difference. CD recorder is used to dub and convert vinyl & cassettes for my own personal CD montag music pleasure. But it looks like this maybe coming to an end.

As for being obsolete, I'm right there with you.

Thanks again.

Art
post #4 of 16 Old 09-16-2013, 04:21 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 753 Post(s)
Liked: 1167
Quote:
Originally Posted by artcal View Post

I’m a very frustrated audio cd recorder. I have an old Marantz compact disc recorder, Model DR6050. (I’m an old timer but I still record audio CD music onto blank discs.) I play the recorded cd's on my Yamaha disc changer (Model CDM-900) and in my car cd changer (Alpine 5630) as well as the Marantz.

Trying to find blank audio cd discs that work has been an ongoing frustration.

I use CD-R recorders for recording live performances. We have the best luck with JVC Taiyo Yuden CD-r's. JVC Taiyo Yuden CD-r's are rated for 52x, but they still keep working in our Professional Technics and HHB burners that take ordinary (not special audio) CDs.

If audio cds are really hard to find, you may have to buy a professional burner. They are more inexpensive bought used, say on eBay.

The tricky part about recording CD-R's is that you always record them at 1X, and most blanks are optimized for high speed writing. One of the indicators of discs that burn well at low speeds is a very deep blue dye.
post #5 of 16 Old 09-16-2013, 04:37 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you for your prompt response as well. As I mentioned in my thread, I bought the JVC Taiyo Yuden CD-R's rated for 52X and that's why I'm scratching my head. I did some very thorough research and their descriptor states that these work in all CD Recorders. This and the rave reviews from other purchasers convinced me to try them. So I'm very disappointed they don't work in my CD Recorder. A professional burner maybe my only recourse.

Thanks for your time.
post #6 of 16 Old 09-17-2013, 05:49 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 753 Post(s)
Liked: 1167
Quote:
Originally Posted by artcal View Post

Thank you for your prompt response as well. As I mentioned in my thread, I bought the JVC Taiyo Yuden CD-R's rated for 52X and that's why I'm scratching my head. I did some very thorough research and their descriptor states that these work in all CD Recorders. This and the rave reviews from other purchasers convinced me to try them. So I'm very disappointed they don't work in my CD Recorder. A professional burner maybe my only recourse.

It's the difference between consumer and professional burners that is probably causing your confusion. We paid the big bucks for the professional burners to get the ability to use standard media. However, there's still a problem left and that is the fact that burning at 1X and 52X can be two slightly different problems.

I suspect that a change in procedures may be your best solution. Using a PC for transcriptions has a lot of advantages, and from a sound quality perspective there are a lot of audio interfaces that will perform as well as a professional burner and oh, by the way cost less than even a used burner.
post #7 of 16 Old 09-17-2013, 09:05 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks again! Your advice and guidance has been extremely helpful.
post #8 of 16 Old 09-17-2013, 01:08 PM
FMW
AVS Special Member

I found some here.
post #9 of 16 Old 09-17-2013, 02:12 PM
post #10 of 16 Old 09-17-2013, 08:34 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks very much!
SoNic67 likes this.
post #11 of 16 Old 12-08-2013, 02:28 PM

Liked: 13
I know this is a late reply: if you have not had any success with getting a blank cd- r to work on your recorder,you may have to get a different recorder. may i make a suggestion I'm using a pioneer Elite pdr-w37 cd recorder I have used 30, 40, 48x speed discs and had no problems. I have never tried 52x speed so I can't comment on that. I buy all my discs at either B.B or target and name brands I use memorex or Sony, tdk with no problems. You could go to eBay and see what's available in recorders I would think you could get a good deal on one since most people are just trying to get rid of them. I hope this helps.
post #12 of 16 Old 12-08-2013, 03:39 PM - Thread Starter

No problem regarding the late reply. This is very much appreciated. Just as an update for everyone (and I personally apologize for not following up on this). As mentioned in my initial post, Fuji CDR audio discs work in my recorder. Why nothing else does is just weird. For some strange reason, the Fuji discs (if found) are now a hit or miss proposition. I contacted Fuji and they no longer make CDR audio discs. After much frustration but due diligence, I did find some of the older Fuji CDR audio discs on Ebay. This seller had a very limited supply. I took a chance and happily they work. Because he had such a small number, less than 50, they will hold me for a while. But once used up, I will be back to square one so your information is extremely helpful. I will definitely keep this for future reference however it maybe in my best interest to look into this alternative now. Thanks again.

Also I wish to personally thank everyone who responded to my plight.

Sincerely,
post #13 of 16 Old 12-10-2013, 11:07 AM
FMW
AVS Special Member

I guess it is probably time to sell my CD recorder. It won't be worth much as a boat anchor.
post #14 of 16 Old 12-11-2013, 12:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 29
FWIW, my church uses a Denon CD Recorder to record the message each week and make it available afterwords on CD-R.

We record the master and duplicate to Taiyo-Yuden white inkjet-printable blanks: (JCDR-WPP-SK) 52X.

The only ones we've had fail are those that, when ejected, have had some type of detritus on the media itself that probably got there between cake box and recorder.
post #15 of 16 Old 12-12-2013, 04:02 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 10
You may just have a laser that's getting weak. If that is the case, it may not be doing a good job at printing your recorded discs and you may also start to also have problems playing them back in other machines.

If you're married to using a standalone style device (with which I happen to like as well), and you're only doing Redbook recording, I'd recommend just picking up another recorder. The professional models like the Alesis Masterlink and a similar Tascam did not require the CDR music disc so any CD or CDR computer data disc works fine. One of these older models will do nicely and they're plentiful and affordable on the used market.

They have the added bonus of recording to internal hard drive before burning to disc. Plus the optical disc drive (as well as the hard drive) is a standard computer drive that can be replaced if it fails.

After having similar problems with consumer machines, I used a Masterlink for years with no issues.

[EDIT]
Memory fades. If I remember correctly, the Masterlink did not have variable input and that could be problematic in the home environment. Try the old Tascam.
post #16 of 16 Old 12-12-2013, 04:21 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks!
Reply CD Players & Dedicated Music Transports

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page