Incrementa"l backup issue reoccurs - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 1 Old 09-17-2013, 11:53 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I SENT THE MAIL BELOW 5 ( FIVE ) TIMES TO OLIVE SUPPORT, BUT THEY DO NOT ANSWER. MAYBE ONE OF YOU KNOW HOW TO SOLVE THIS ANNOYING PROBLEM, BEING NOT ABLE TO PERFORM ANY INCREMENTAL BACKUP ANYMORE....

""""""""Dear Sir/Madam,

After downloading SW Version 0.4.3.2, last winter and the latest firmware 3.0, I performed a full backup, prior to performing incremental backups. After performing 3 or 4 incremental backups without any problems ( ""backup completed succesfully"" ), my Olive 4 HD wasn't able to do any incremental backup anymore. The backupprocess stucks persistently at "" Step: preparing"", no matter how long one waits.
On your request, I performed an error log, resulting in your finding as follows: ""Our Engineering Team has just gotten back to us after analyzing the Error Log. Their finding was that during the backup, there were a couple of I/O errors. They have suggested to use a different USB cable and/or Drive for backing up"".

I did so, by buying a brand new WD Elements 2 TB USB drive, formatted in Fat 32, 1 partition. Then I performed a full backup ( taking about 30 hours, because at that time more than 1800 albums/1100 GB had to been transferred ). Later, this year I completed serveral ( again 3 a 4 ) incremental backups succesfully.
Last week, after ripping and editing some 100 new albums, I tried to perform another incremental backup, but quess what: THE OLD PROBLEM REOCCURRED!
Again, by doing so, the Olive stucks in ""Step preparing "", the % counter stays put at zero ( 0 ) and nothing further happens, no matter how long one waits. Normally the process starts after 5 minutes or so. After aboarding the backup process, the unit freezes, so a reboot is needed in order to continue. After rebooting the server, I tried to perform an incremental backup again, with the same non-result.

I think it is most UNlikely, the the USB cable or Drive is the problem again, because the same problem occurs with the new backup HDD/USB cable. Actually my older backup drive/USB cable have been checked, and all sectors proved to be ok as well!
And remember, the last incremental backup completed succesfully, as it did with the former HDD the first 3 or 4 times!
I think the problem is EXTREMELY annoying and worrying because being able to perform a reliable backup is EXTREMELY essential. It is the more annoying, because Olive uses a propiatary format, not being an open format, making it IMPOSSIBLE for the customer to save the data in regular ways, thus making the user very vulnerable.
I sent this mail to you before, one week earlier, to you but till now I did not receive any reply.So please, let me know what to do in order to preserve and safe my ripped music collection ( now in excess of 2000 albums/ 1.3 TB ).
Kind regards,
Bram Hillen.

Op 02/22/13, Olive Support schreef:

Hi Hillen,

Our Engineering Team has just gotten back to us after analyzing the Error Log.

Their finding was that during the backup, there were a couple of I/O errors. They have suggested to use a different USB cable and/or Drive for backing up.

Please let us know if this works.

Please keep us informed.

Many thanks from your friends at Olive!

Original Message

Subject:
Antw: Re: Antw: Re: Antw: Re: TWO questions 112812-O4H-0644248612

Date:
Mon, 18 Feb 2013 15:29:04 +0100

Hillen

To:
Olive Support

Hi Ernesto,

I performed an error log, as requested, and have send the results via ""We Transfer "" to ernesto.cueto@olivehd.com.
I hope, the engineers can get a better idea of what's going on and that they can resolve the technical issue.
Kind regards,

Bram Hillen

Op 02/15/13, Olive Support schreef:

Hi Hillen,

Can you please confirm that in the past you were able to successfully back up your Olive to this drive.
Could you also provide me with the brand and model of your hard drive.

To better address this issue and find out what is exactly the backup is failing, I will ask from you to send us the error logs.
This will tell our engineers what is exactly the source of the problem.

One of our engineers will examine your error log to get a better idea of what's going on and how to diagnose and resolve your technical issue.

Attached are instructions to how to retrieve and send error logs.

Please keep us informed.
Reply CD Players & Dedicated Music Transports

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page