Low hum from properly grounded turntable - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 09-18-2013, 07:44 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Last night I hooked up my new AT LP-1240 to my Onkyo TX-SR601 receiver. I grounded the turntable to a case screw on the Onkyo, so there is no 60 cycle buzz (I disconnected the ground from the Onkyo with the turntable powered up, and, believe, me, I heard the buzz, which immediately went away when I reconnected the ground).

The thing is, there's a low level hum that's present, even when the power to the turntable is turned off. It's a tad louder when the power is on, but still present even when the power is off. I can also hear the hum waver a bit between album tracks... like it surges a bit then recedes. The turntable is isolated from any other audio components (the receiver is at the opposite end of the entertainment center)... so, I'm just wondering if anyone has any suggestions of what I might try to eliminate that hum. A power conditioner?

Thanks!

--Bill
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 09-18-2013, 07:16 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 747 Post(s)
Liked: 1162
Quote:
Originally Posted by billg66 View Post

Last night I hooked up my new AT LP-1240 to my Onkyo TX-SR601 receiver. I grounded the turntable to a case screw on the Onkyo, so there is no 60 cycle buzz (I disconnected the ground from the Onkyo with the turntable powered up, and, believe, me, I heard the buzz, which immediately went away when I reconnected the ground).

The thing is, there's a low level hum that's present, even when the power to the turntable is turned off. It's a tad louder when the power is on, but still present even when the power is off. I can also hear the hum waver a bit between album tracks... like it surges a bit then recedes. The turntable is isolated from any other audio components (the receiver is at the opposite end of the entertainment center)... so, I'm just wondering if anyone has any suggestions of what I might try to eliminate that hum. A power conditioner?

Got a laptop that you can carry over and check how much hum its USB output has?
post #3 of 4 Old 09-19-2013, 07:08 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by arnyk View Post

Yes, I do... I'll give that a try as soon as I can. What might the presence/absence of hum prove?
post #4 of 4 Old 09-19-2013, 10:28 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 747 Post(s)
Liked: 1162
Quote:
Originally Posted by billg66 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by arnyk View Post

Yes, I do... I'll give that a try as soon as I can. What might the presence/absence of hum prove?

If the hum is less with the USB connection then it might suggest that there's something going wrong with your connection to the preamp.
Reply CD Players & Dedicated Music Transports

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page