Music Server?? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 10-13-2013, 05:34 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
My Fireball Music Server died. As I found out Fireball is no longer in business. So it seems it is time for an upgrade of some sort. I really loved my Fireball Music Server. It has worked well for me and did what it was made to do for 8 years.
So in my search for some sort of replacement for it I have found that there is nothing like it anymore.
The closest thing I have found to replace it was Sonos connect. I don’t know if that is the answer to replace the fireball or not. I know I would have to have a computer on all the time for it to access and I would not have the onscreen guide. Not that either one is a deal breaker for me. I also liked the Logitech’s Squeezebox but it has as it has been discontinued I don’t see the point of doing that unit either.

I feel out of touch with all the new technology out there. So thought I would pose the question to you guys that are a lot smarter about this than me and ask for some guidance on this. Is there something out there that is better I can put my CD’s on and can assess them from my stereo for less than $1,000.00?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 10-14-2013, 10:31 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 186
You can still find some very good deals for used Fireballs on Ebay and Craigslist. I just purchased one myself. If you need to purchase a "new" server, try the Olive series. These function in the same way as the Escient Fireball.
post #3 of 4 Old 10-14-2013, 12:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 129 Post(s)
Liked: 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by webeinky View Post

My Fireball Music Server died. As I found out Fireball is no longer in business. So it seems it is time for an upgrade of some sort. I really loved my Fireball Music Server. It has worked well for me and did what it was made to do for 8 years.
So in my search for some sort of replacement for it I have found that there is nothing like it anymore.
The closest thing I have found to replace it was Sonos connect. I don’t know if that is the answer to replace the fireball or not. I know I would have to have a computer on all the time for it to access and I would not have the onscreen guide. Not that either one is a deal breaker for me. I also liked the Logitech’s Squeezebox but it has as it has been discontinued I don’t see the point of doing that unit either.

I feel out of touch with all the new technology out there. So thought I would pose the question to you guys that are a lot smarter about this than me and ask for some guidance on this. Is there something out there that is better I can put my CD’s on and can assess them from my stereo for less than $1,000.00?

Look around at CompuerAudiophile dot com.

http://www.computeraudiophile.com/

I had a 2010 mac mini setup as a music (only) server and it was AMAZING.

now, I use a first gen AppleTV as both a music server and also a video jukebox and it's also great.

In particular have a look at the CAPS (Compact Audiophile Pocket Server) projects there. (I think they run Windows (eek) so I have Zero interest but lots of people like windows so it's viable for many.)

-Brian
post #4 of 4 Old 10-17-2013, 10:36 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by webeinky View Post

The Sonos does have to connect to your router but you don't have to have a computer on to listen to music and there is a controller but a better bet is to download a phone app to control it. It's pricey but it works.
Reply CD Players & Dedicated Music Transports

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page