Any Benefit to a USB to SPDIF converter ? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 10-23-2013, 02:21 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Let me setup what I'm trying to assess, specifically for listening to stereo music on Dynaudio floorstanding speakers:

I'm using an older computer (mATX - AMD 939cpu - nVidia 6150 onboard video) as an htpc with an onboard fiber-optic spdif audio output and a YPbPr video output running openELEC to access my server based content (audio and video).

Looking to take either the spdif optical out or a usb to spdif converter from the htpc to a Proceed AVP2 processor.

Not sure yet what to expect from the PC's onboard spdif output stream, although I did confirm it works to a Harmon Kardon-AVR and a pair of powered computer speakers (still need to run the CAT5e cable to where I have the Proceed).

I'm wondering if anybody has been through a similiar audio output setup on a PC to know if I will benefit from an asynchronous usb to spdif converter for audio into a prepro.

If you have, could you name the converter you are using, please?

If you found the htpc spdif out to be the same as the usb-to-spdif out converter, could you let me know what the basic specs are on your PC (like I provided above).

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 10-23-2013, 02:52 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 763 Post(s)
Liked: 1178
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceD View Post

Let me setup what I'm trying to assess, specifically for listening to stereo music on Dynaudio floorstanding speakers:

I'm using an older computer (mATX - AMD 939cpu - nVidia 6150 onboard video) as an htpc with an onboard fiber-optic spdif audio output and a YPbPr video output running openELEC to access my server based content (audio and video).

Looking to take either the spdif optical out or a usb to spdif converter from the htpc to a Proceed AVP2 processor.

Not sure yet what to expect from the PC's onboard spdif output stream, although I did confirm it works to a Harmon Kardon-AVR and a pair of powered computer speakers (still need to run the CAT5e cable to where I have the Proceed).

Onboard SP/DIF is like any SP/DIF which is to say that sound quality depends on the converters in your AVR which should be just fine.
Quote:
I'm wondering if anybody has been through a similiar audio output setup on a PC to know if I will benefit from an asynchronous usb to spdif converter for audio into a prepro.

Aysnch USB is an audiophile hot topic, but the fact is that its a solution looking for a problem. Bypassing USB by using the system board audio interface digital out makes this all a moot point.

Since it costs you nothing to implement, why not at least give the onboard SP/DIF output a chance?
post #3 of 6 Old 10-23-2013, 03:10 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Thanks Arny, that is my plan, to try the onboard spdif out first.

Just trying to look out ahead to know if I will have a problem before I actually experience it.

But since my implementation is going a little slow, I'll have plenty of time to evaluate the experience before I change anything.
post #4 of 6 Old 11-04-2013, 09:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:

Thanks.

I use both the onboard spdif and an external usb/spdif converter. You could consider doing it as well.

The asynchronous usb interface has more to do with the fixing the problems of usb transferring audio.

The music player can then hog the external usb sound device and the OS can continue to make its noises thru the built in audio and I attach a small speaker to that.
I find the OS noises quite annoying on my main speakers.
post #5 of 6 Old 11-05-2013, 08:57 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tong Chia View Post

. . . . .

The music player can then hog the external usb sound device and the OS can continue to make its noises thru the built in audio and I attach a small speaker to that.
I find the OS noises quite annoying on my main speakers.

Doesn't OpenELEC/XBMC preference settings have the option of turning off OS sounds ?
I think I remember doing that, but I'm at work now and can't see the settings.
post #6 of 6 Old 11-06-2013, 12:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:

Doesn't OpenELEC/XBMC preference settings have the option of turning off OS sounds ?
I think I remember doing that, but I'm at work now and can't see the settings.

Probably but I use mainly Foobar and JRiver
Reply CD Players & Dedicated Music Transports