Any Benefit to a USB to SPDIF converter ? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 
Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 Old 10-23-2013, 02:21 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
BruceD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: Silicon Valley, CA USA
Posts: 1,064
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Let me setup what I'm trying to assess, specifically for listening to stereo music on Dynaudio floorstanding speakers:

I'm using an older computer (mATX - AMD 939cpu - nVidia 6150 onboard video) as an htpc with an onboard fiber-optic spdif audio output and a YPbPr video output running openELEC to access my server based content (audio and video).

Looking to take either the spdif optical out or a usb to spdif converter from the htpc to a Proceed AVP2 processor.

Not sure yet what to expect from the PC's onboard spdif output stream, although I did confirm it works to a Harmon Kardon-AVR and a pair of powered computer speakers (still need to run the CAT5e cable to where I have the Proceed).

I'm wondering if anybody has been through a similiar audio output setup on a PC to know if I will benefit from an asynchronous usb to spdif converter for audio into a prepro.

If you have, could you name the converter you are using, please?

If you found the htpc spdif out to be the same as the usb-to-spdif out converter, could you let me know what the basic specs are on your PC (like I provided above).

Thanks.
BruceD is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 6 Old 10-23-2013, 02:52 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
arnyk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Grosse Pointe Woods, MI
Posts: 14,387
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 763 Post(s)
Liked: 1178
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceD View Post

Let me setup what I'm trying to assess, specifically for listening to stereo music on Dynaudio floorstanding speakers:

I'm using an older computer (mATX - AMD 939cpu - nVidia 6150 onboard video) as an htpc with an onboard fiber-optic spdif audio output and a YPbPr video output running openELEC to access my server based content (audio and video).

Looking to take either the spdif optical out or a usb to spdif converter from the htpc to a Proceed AVP2 processor.

Not sure yet what to expect from the PC's onboard spdif output stream, although I did confirm it works to a Harmon Kardon-AVR and a pair of powered computer speakers (still need to run the CAT5e cable to where I have the Proceed).

Onboard SP/DIF is like any SP/DIF which is to say that sound quality depends on the converters in your AVR which should be just fine.
Quote:
I'm wondering if anybody has been through a similiar audio output setup on a PC to know if I will benefit from an asynchronous usb to spdif converter for audio into a prepro.

Aysnch USB is an audiophile hot topic, but the fact is that its a solution looking for a problem. Bypassing USB by using the system board audio interface digital out makes this all a moot point.

Since it costs you nothing to implement, why not at least give the onboard SP/DIF output a chance?
arnyk is offline  
post #3 of 6 Old 10-23-2013, 03:10 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
BruceD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: Silicon Valley, CA USA
Posts: 1,064
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Thanks Arny, that is my plan, to try the onboard spdif out first.

Just trying to look out ahead to know if I will have a problem before I actually experience it.

But since my implementation is going a little slow, I'll have plenty of time to evaluate the experience before I change anything.
BruceD is offline  
post #4 of 6 Old 11-04-2013, 09:16 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Tong Chia's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Posts: 1,140
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceD View Post


I'm wondering if anybody has been through a similiar audio output setup on a PC to know if I will benefit from an asynchronous usb to spdif converter for audio into a prepro.

Thanks.

I use both the onboard spdif and an external usb/spdif converter. You could consider doing it as well.

The asynchronous usb interface has more to do with the fixing the problems of usb transferring audio.

The music player can then hog the external usb sound device and the OS can continue to make its noises thru the built in audio and I attach a small speaker to that.
I find the OS noises quite annoying on my main speakers.
Tong Chia is offline  
post #5 of 6 Old 11-05-2013, 08:57 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
BruceD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: Silicon Valley, CA USA
Posts: 1,064
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tong Chia View Post


. . . . .

The music player can then hog the external usb sound device and the OS can continue to make its noises thru the built in audio and I attach a small speaker to that.
I find the OS noises quite annoying on my main speakers.

Doesn't OpenELEC/XBMC preference settings have the option of turning off OS sounds ?
I think I remember doing that, but I'm at work now and can't see the settings.
BruceD is offline  
post #6 of 6 Old 11-06-2013, 12:12 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Tong Chia's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Posts: 1,140
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceD View Post

Doesn't OpenELEC/XBMC preference settings have the option of turning off OS sounds ?
I think I remember doing that, but I'm at work now and can't see the settings.

Probably but I use mainly Foobar and JRiver
Tong Chia is offline  
Reply CD Players & Dedicated Music Transports



Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off