Pioneer DV-610AV - turning center channel off does not mix vocals to front audio outputs - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 11-13-2013, 09:10 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have a Pioneer DV-610AV, which I want to use for SACD and DVD-A discs.

I have a vintage quadraphonic 4-channel amplifier, but no subwoofer and no center channel. So, I went into options and disabled the center channel and the subwoofer. I am using the analog audio outputs on the back (just four, L, R, SL, SR).

For DTS audio (Queen: A Night at the Opera) and SACD (Pink Floyd: DSOTM) this is fine. But for DVD-Audio (The Doors Perception Box set), there are no vocals present. The center channel is not mixed into the left and right channels.

Also, I notice no difference for DTS or SACD if I disable the center channel or leave it on, which may mean those aren't getting mixed either, but the vocals are just present on the left and right tracks to begin with.

My old Samsung HD841 resampled perfectly fine to the left and right channels. But it didn't support DTS, so I replaced it with this pioneer (which was also nice since all of my other gear is pioneer).

Am I missing something here? I'd like to use the Pioneer, but if I can't play my doors discs, it's getting chucked in the trash.

Charles.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 11-14-2013, 03:57 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 15
If, indeed, the player gets chucked, please box it up and send it my way.
I'm not sure why disabling a speaker would force audio information into the other speakers that isn't there to begin with, but if your Sammy did this, then great. Perhaps try the DTS downmix setting.
post #3 of 3 Old 11-14-2013, 06:42 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Umm, because that's the way it's supposed to work. Disabling a speaker in the 5.1 setup is supposed to mix the channels into the other available speakers. The manual even states that. It's just not working, and apparently this is a problem with other models of Pioneer players as well. I found this thread: http://www.avsforum.com/forum/newestpost/923868

My samsung dvd player and my harmon kardon 7.1 receiver both operate this way. The pioneer is supposed to operate this way, but doesn't.

Charles.
Reply CD Players & Dedicated Music Transports

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page