'Old-school Pioneer 6-disc changers, ideas?! - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 11-14-2013, 09:54 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I guess I'm getting older but I am searching for classic old-school Pioneer elite or non-elites six disc CD changers (popular around 1988-1996 I think). CDs are still cool and I'm looking for one or two of these units to occupy my audio rack. Here's an EBay photo, not mine frown.gif

I'm really wanting only models that are made in Japan. I plan to try contacting Pioneer directly but does anyone know which models were best back then, made in Jap...and in the year they were manufactured?! Plus, I want models w/ digital outputs for routing to a DAC.

I'm thinking models Pd-m91, 92, 95...and maybe pd-m501, 701 were most popular.
I feel like a Deer Hunter waiting because I have searched on eBay for weeks waiting for sellers?! Any info is great.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 11-15-2013, 09:28 AM
FMW
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 134 Post(s)
Liked: 641
There are some Pioneers here. http://www.soundsclassic.com/disc_players.html
post #3 of 5 Old 11-16-2013, 08:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Liked: 244
In general, the Yamaha multi-disc changers from that era had much better sound quality than the competition (CDC-665 and similar).

Marantz also made a fairly good one until recently.

Yamaha still makes the CDC-600, which will sound a lot better than the older units, because the current DAC chips are so much better. It runs around $300.

That is what I would consider if I were you.
post #4 of 5 Old 11-16-2013, 08:54 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedgejamz01 View Post

I guess I'm getting older but I am searching for classic old-school Pioneer elite or non-elites six disc CD changers (popular around 1988-1996 I think). CDs are still cool and I'm looking for one or two of these units to occupy my audio rack.
CDs are definitely still cool, or at least the music that stored on them still is. Have you considered getting the modern equivalent of the CD changer - the network audio player, eg Pioneer Elite N-50? Requires a home network, time and effort to rip your CD collection and somewhere to store your CD rips (eg NAS, computer, USB HDD, USB memory sticks, etc), though.
post #5 of 5 Old 11-16-2013, 10:38 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 45
I used to own two of those Pioneer 6 Disc changers in the early 90's but would never buy them again. After about two years of use they would no longer work (problems with the plastic 6 disc cartridge would always fail). Which is the main reason pioneer stopped making the cartridge based changers. I still own two denon five disc corousal changers that have worked great since 95 when I gave up on the six disc Pioneer changers. Pioneers cartridge changers were just plain plastic crap.
Reply CD Players & Dedicated Music Transports

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page