Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 11-20-2013, 07:34 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi all,

How are you doing?

So I'm hoping this it the right forum for my question.

Up until 2 years ago when my shelf stereo broke, I ONLY wanted traditional stereos, but with it getting harder to find them & the fact that they take up so much space when moving, I think it's time I switch to something else.

So a few things:

1. I had an iPod before, but it got stolen back in 2006. I only used it for meditations, not for music.

Once when I went onto my computer (PC), the apple software did something to screw up the interface/menu of the iPod & it was never the same.

The customer service at Apple was rude & she didn't even try to help me.

If I decide to go the iPod route again, I don't want the same issues. If I like the way the songs are listed, I want to be able to keep it that way.

Does anyone have any idea what part of the software caused this issue?

Can I choose how the songs are listed? I'm the type that likes files & to store things into their appropriately titled folders.

2. I did buy an MP3 player a few years ago b/c it's obviously less expensive. I never really loved it & UPS lost my boxes when they were being shipped during my move, so that got lost too.

Why do you feel the iPod is better than just a traditional MP3 player?

My thinking is that there seems to be speakers that are small & meant for the iPods (not sure if that's what a docking station is). With regular MP3s, I'm not sure if there are small powerful speakers.

I don't need HUGE or VERY powerful speakers, but I do want a clean full bodied sound.

3. What is the difference between all these iPods? What should I be most concerned with?

4. I'm going to be buying used. I can't afford brand new.

When buying used, are there specific questions I should be asking the seller so I don't get ripped off?

Since I won't be able to buy based on where I am located, I intend to buy from anywhere in the US who has a good quality product & a good price.

I will have to just have them turn on Skype/video & I'll watch them turn it on so I can hear it playing.

Anything else you think I'm missing?

Thanks a ton

Michelle
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 11-21-2013, 06:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked: 293
Quote:
Once when I went onto my computer (PC), the apple software did something to screw up the interface/menu of the iPod & it was never the same.

If I decide to go the iPod route again, I don't want the same issues. If I like the way the songs are listed, I want to be able to keep it that way.

No offense meant, but the usual cause for this sort of problem is user error. iTunes (the computer software) won't rearrange your music unless you tell it to. Of course, it's easy to do something inadvertent, which is possibly what happened. I suggest you back up your whole music library occasionally, so that you can restore it if necessary.
Quote:
Can I choose how the songs are listed? I'm the type that likes files & to store things into their appropriately titled folders.
Yes, iTunes allows you to organize songs into playlists and folders. When you copy these to your iPod, they are organized the same way. You might want to pick up a secondary manual of the "iPod/iTunes for Dummies" variety.

You'll need to be more specific about what you're looking for, equipment-wise. The simplest approach, with the smallest footprint, would be an iPod and a pair of powered speakers (aka "computer speakers"). Such speakers can be had for less than $100, or much more. What's your budget?

If you can't explain how it works, you can't say it doesn't.—The High-End Creed

post #3 of 3 Old 11-24-2013, 04:01 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 541
Quote:
Originally Posted by sensualspirit View Post

Hi all,

Michelle

Are you talking about the interface of the iPod or the iTunes program on your PC? iTunes release 11 changed the interface of the iTunes program. Some people, myself included, didn't care for the new look and organization. You can use new views which are similar to the old release 10 versions. See articles like: http://www.macworld.com/article/2020708/understanding-the-new-views-in-itunes-11.html

Mark

There is a very thin line between "hobby" and "mental illness". - Dave Barry
Reply CD Players & Dedicated Music Transports

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page