CD Collection digitized - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 18 Old 11-28-2013, 02:50 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hello I am looking for the best way to play my cd collection if I convert it all to digital. I have a denon receiver that is a few years old now but still sounds great that I would like to keep using, It doesn't have networking capability, so what I am wondering is if there is some type of a media player/hard drive that I can buy load up with my all 75-100 cd's and then connect it to the receiver and have it play?

Or is my best option to try and track down a 100 disc cd changer and us it.

The recover is a Denon 789 Thank you
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 Old 11-28-2013, 05:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked: 131
Find a used laptop computer and put your CD collection on it.
See if you can find one with an HDMI out (assuming your AVR has it)
Or an optical out. Of course stereo mini-jack to RCA May be fine too.
post #3 of 18 Old 11-28-2013, 06:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 61
Your CD Collection is already digital!tongue.gif
But seriously, I ripped mine as FLAC's, and play them back using a Squeezebox Touch, to my Pioneer receiver. Of course they are now discontinued, but you can also go the Sonos route.
post #4 of 18 Old 11-28-2013, 06:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked: 790
i used dbpower amp to rip all my cd's to flac. using an old desktop connected to my avr via hdmi and foobar2000 for playback. works and sounds great.

I don't need snobs to tell me how to think, thank you!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Why you wouldn't want to join
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
forum
post #5 of 18 Old 11-28-2013, 06:41 PM - Thread Starter

Liked: 10
Hey JDCROX if I'm able to find a squeeze box do you recommend it? Also what's the app like
post #6 of 18 Old 11-29-2013, 05:12 AM
FMW
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 307 Post(s)
Liked: 725
The Squeezebox was the last good solution to streaming audio from your computer or network. The app isn't much of an issue. You just install it on the computer. You don't use it after that. All the music selection is done with the remote control and the Squeezebox display. I have two of them. I'd love to have a third one. Where did you find it?
post #7 of 18 Old 11-29-2013, 10:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 61
In fact I dont even use the remote control for it, I use an app on my iphone and ipad. Ipeng works great, and the logitech squeezebox app works well also. Logitech's version is free. Ipeng was $10 I think.
But to answer your question, yes it is easy. We also listen to a lot of internet radio on it, Radio Paradise has become a favorite!
post #8 of 18 Old 12-01-2013, 02:43 AM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 12
As the receiver has no network options:
- Direct playback: a laptop with a async USB to SPDIF converter
- Networking: any streaming audio player (DLNA compatible)

post #9 of 18 Old 12-01-2013, 07:34 AM
FMW
AVS Special Member

The first option requires a digital connection on the preamp. Not all preamps have that. The second one is painfully slow and cumbersome. As I said the Squeezebox is the last good solution to local area network streaming.
post #10 of 18 Old 12-02-2013, 05:23 AM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 24
My $0.02
Via dBpoweramp, I have converted my CD's into FLAC or WAV files onto my laptop. I use JRiver as my media center. Via USB cable, I send the digital file(s) to my old processor JBL AVR1, letting my HRT Music Streamer HD do it's magic as a DAC. I am more than pleased with the sound quality & the convienience factor is awesome. I tip my hat to HRT, when I purchased the Streamer HD this summer I was told they were working on USB 2.0 drivers, the drivers came out in Oct. It is nice to see someone keep their word these days!

Steve
post #11 of 18 Old 12-02-2013, 09:27 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by FMW View Post

The second one is painfully slow and cumbersome. As I said the Squeezebox is the last good solution to local area network streaming.
Not necessarily - there are some very decent UPnP/DLNA supporting hifi stereo network audio players out there. Initial problems, such as gapless support have been sorted out, as these products are now quite mature. However, they do require the music files to be stored and maintained by a UPnP/DLNA server on some other device on the network (eg computer, NAS, etc). 'Mid-fi' / sub $1000 examples of such streamers include Denon's DNP-720AE & DNP-F109, Marantz NA7004, Cambridge Audio's NP30 & Stream Magic 6 and Pioneer's N-30 & N-50.
post #12 of 18 Old 12-02-2013, 09:34 AM
FMW
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cebolla View Post

Not necessarily - there are some very decent UPnP/DLNA supporting hifi stereo network audio players out there. Initial problems, such as gapless support have been sorted out, as these products are now quite mature. However, they do require the music files to be stored and maintained by a UPnP/DLNA server on some other device on the network (eg computer, NAS, etc). 'Mid-fi' / sub $1000 examples of such streamers include Denon's DNP-720AE & DNP-F109, Marantz NA7004, Cambridge Audio's NP30 & Stream Magic 6 and Pioneer's N-30 & N-50.

How did you come to name yourself onion? Have you used any of these? Do they require a TV to find the titles on the DLNA server?
post #13 of 18 Old 12-02-2013, 09:52 AM

Wow, at last someone's asked me about my member name. Was my nickname at school, well actually 'Onion' was, shortened from 'Spanish Onion' as in 'you f*** bl** Spanish Onion' - so it stuck (I'm half Spanish). You couldn't survive '70's British schooling without being given a 'name' and I think I got away lightly compared to some others.

These streamers come with a built in display, to be used with a remote control, though they've also got dedicated apps for iOS & Android devices and being UPnP/DLNA renderers can also be controlled by standard UPnP/DLNA control point apps. So don't need TV/monitor, in fact don't have any form of 'video out'.

Yes I do have a couple: the Pioneer N-50 and Denon DNP-F109.
post #14 of 18 Old 12-02-2013, 01:04 PM
FMW
AVS Special Member

Thanks. I'll do some shopping. It isn't often that I see Spanish words used in internet forum handles. I'm half Cuban myself. My mother, the Cuban, was the daughter of a Gallego and an Irish woman.
post #15 of 18 Old 12-02-2013, 02:05 PM

No worries, they're certainly worth trying out.

Yes I suppose it is unusual, perhaps it's why I was fortunate enough to be able to use the name straight up, without having to add any extra numbers/letters (another reason for using it). I'm a bit surprised it's the case on the US side of the 'pond', as I'd imagine there's a lot more Spanish speakers there than here in the UK. Entirely different story most likely on those mostly Spanish speaking forums, of course - Cebolla09787 doesn't quite have the same originality!
post #16 of 18 Old 12-02-2013, 02:42 PM
FMW
AVS Special Member

I settled on a product called the Grace Digital Solo. It is an internet radio but is capable of streaming MP3's from my local area network via WiFi. The screen is significantly smaller than the Squeezebox but it should have the same functionality. I assume that these digital radios are the replacement products for things like Squeezeboxes. I almost bought a Phillips Streamium which has a large screen but I'm not convinced that Phillips supports it well. Grace seems to be more commited to this technology. We'll see how it goes. Hasta la proxima.
post #17 of 18 Old 03-20-2014, 10:36 PM

Liked: 12
so, how does the Grace Digital Solo working out for you? I am looking for one similar to SBT.
post #18 of 18 Old 03-21-2014, 06:53 AM
FMW
AVS Special Member

Sorry; I wasn't watching the thread. The Solo works fine with some software music servers. It does not support DLNA so you need a server that uses the older convention (I forgot the name.) Most of them do. The one I use is called KooRaRoo. I have my music files organized on the hard drive by genre and then by artist and KooRaRoo deals with my organization properly. It doesn't do any video, just the normal popular audio encoding methods. I wish it had a larger LED screen like the old Squeezebox but, otherwise it does the same thing the same way with KooRaRoo and even provides internet radio.
Reply CD Players & Dedicated Music Transports

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page