CD player placement—OK to stack? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 11 Old 12-04-2013, 04:10 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Got a new Onkyo 7030 (which I am loving so far) and I'm wondering if it's OK to have the cable box on top of it, like in the pic below? As you can see, there's really no other place to put the darn thing. The Onkyo's case is solid on top, so there aren't any vents to block. The cable box does have vents on the bottom, so some heat is exiting there. I'd think most of it would be leaving the top of the cable box since heat rises. Do you think this is OK for the CD player?? Yeah, I'm a little anal rolleyes.gif

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 12-05-2013, 09:51 AM
Senior Writer @ AVS

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 559 Post(s)
Liked: 1619
You will not have any issue because CD players do not have vents on top of the chassis, as as you said... heat rises.

Find out more about Mark Henninger at www.imagicdigital.com
post #3 of 11 Old 12-05-2013, 10:08 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by imagic View Post

You will not have any issue because CD players do not have vents on top of the chassis, as as you said... heat rises.

Awesome, thanks.
post #4 of 11 Old 12-05-2013, 11:56 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Is there a few inches of space above the cable box for air to flow freely? If not then you may have reliability issues with the cable box. Those usually have air entering from the bottom and leaving through the top.
post #5 of 11 Old 12-05-2013, 12:19 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by skriefal View Post

Is there a few inches of space above the cable box for air to flow freely? If not then you may have reliability issues with the cable box. Those usually have air entering from the bottom and leaving through the top.

It's pretty close to that glass shelf...maybe like half an inch or less. Not ideal, but there is an air gap there. I'll keep an eye on it and see how hot it gets.
post #6 of 11 Old 12-05-2013, 03:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 246
Quote:

+1. Does the cable box have feet that make it stand a half inch or so above the 7030, or is it one of those that sits almost flat (with no feet)? If the cable box sits flat against the 7030, I bet the top of the 7030 will get quite warm to the touch. Try it. If it feels pretty hot, put some standoffs/feet between the two.

For every new thing I learn, I forget two things I used to know.
post #7 of 11 Old 12-05-2013, 04:15 PM - Thread Starter

There's tiny legs on the box, so it's not in direct contact with the top of the player. It's maybe 1/4 inch gap. It seems OK so far. I can feel a little warmth, but it's not blazing hot or anything.
post #8 of 11 Old 12-05-2013, 04:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 246
If it's not getting really hot to the touch, then you're probably fine as is. If it gets really hot to the touch, then use some sort of standoffs to get a good 1/2 inch or more of space between the two.

For every new thing I learn, I forget two things I used to know.
post #9 of 11 Old 12-05-2013, 05:05 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 33
If the cable box manufacturer used 1/4-inch legs then that's almost certainly because their testing found that 1/4-inch was sufficient space to pull in air below the unit. If there is a problem here, it'll be the limited open space above the box. Usually you want at least a few inches of free space above any electronic component that generates much heat. If this cable box does generate much heat -- which is likely if it's a DVR -- then it'll cook.
post #10 of 11 Old 12-05-2013, 07:02 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

If the cable box manufacturer used 1/4-inch legs then that's almost certainly because their testing found that 1/4-inch was sufficient space to pull in air below the unit. If there is a problem here, it'll be the limited open space above the box. Usually you want at least a few inches of free space above any electronic component that generates much heat. If this cable box does generate much heat -- which is likely if it's a DVR -- then it'll cook.

To be honest, I'm more worried about my CD player. If something happens to the cable box, I can always play dumb and get another one wink.gif I might feel a little guilty, but not too much. The cable company has been ripping me off for years.
post #11 of 11 Old 12-06-2013, 02:11 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 288 Post(s)
Liked: 997
Quote:
Originally Posted by imagic View Post

No doubt, But if anybody has any concerns, get a non-contact thermometer and measure the temperature of the chassis of your equipment. It should be below 110 degrees F.

http://www.amazon.com/Nubee%C2%AE-Temperature-Non-contact-Infrared-Thermometer/dp/B00CVHIJDK

Welll under $20 delivered.
Reply CD Players & Dedicated Music Transports

Tags
Onkyo C 7030 Compact Disc Player Black

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page