"Antique" Sony D-5 portable CD player, circa 1984-85 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 01-02-2014, 11:04 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 16
While unboxing after a recent move, I discovered a Sony D-5 portable CD player. I had bought one of these brand-new in 1985, then sold it off a bit later, then bought this one used about 10 years ago. This really is not a unit suitable for "walking" or "jogging", it has a separate power-supply unit - and this particular model does NOT bear the "Discman" nomenclature.

Anyway, even though this unit is 28 or 29 years old, it still plays! I have read numerous reviews on the Internet about the sound quality of this unit - some regard it as awful, some as satisfactory, a few as very good. IMHO the Sony D-5's dynamic range is a bit compressed and high-frequency information is somewhat rolled-off. [NOTE: My comments here are specific to playback using the RCA output jacks connected to my regular stereo receiver and speakers, not necessarily applicable to headphone use].

If any of you are familiar with this venerable unit - or maybe you still have one at home in working condition - what are your opinions of it? Is it old enough to become a bit valuable as a collector's item?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 01-05-2014, 05:53 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quite a throwback. I had to look that one up to see what it looked like even. Oddly, I have a bit of nostalgia for my first CD player. It was a Logic branded unit bought from a local store back in about 1988. Paired with a Sony STR-D790 Receiver was my first step into Audiophilia! I still use that Receiver in the garage all these years later and it still rocks. The two were paired with whatever speakers I could manage to find. I do recall purchasing the biggest set of Pioneer speakers I could find at Wal Mart many years ago. Oh the days.

Just a while ago I found my old Yamaha DVD player a DVD-S540. I plugged it up to a nice set of Klipsch speakers in the media room and CD's sound great coming out of it!
post #3 of 4 Old 01-08-2014, 01:47 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
My first portable CD player was the Sony D-50MkII from 1985 bought new. Still in box in my garage, but very well used - still have the strap too. I'll have to pull it out to find if it still works.
http://www.sonyvintage.com/?p=1439
post #4 of 4 Old 01-18-2014, 08:16 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by noisebeam View Post

My first portable CD player was the Sony D-50MkII from 1985 bought new. Still in box in my garage, but very well used - still have the strap too. I'll have to pull it out to find if it still works.
http://www.sonyvintage.com/?p=1439
If I recall correctly, the D5 and D50 are the exact same unit. The "D5" model number was for North American distribution and the "D50" model number was for the rest of the world. Let me know if yours works! I have to admit enjoying powering up my old D-5 and showing it off to visitors at our house.

Noteworthy point: In late 1986 after the D5 and D50 had been on the market for a while, Sony added the "Discman" branding. 15 years later, they re-branded "Discman" as "Walkman". Ah, the idiosyncracies of corporate branding!
Reply CD Players & Dedicated Music Transports

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page