Will repeated plugging/unplugging wear out 3.5mm jack? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 01-15-2014, 09:53 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 18
(I am not sure if this is correct forum for this topic and I apologize if it is not. Please direct to the correct one if need be)

I recently switched my SiriusXM subscription to online-only in order to get some channels which my older, in-car receiver cannot (24/7 Pink Floyd sounds darn good to me biggrin.gif). I downloaded the SiriusXM app onto my phone in order to listen in my car. I do not have Bluetooth connectivity in my car, but I do have an AUX In jack.

I was wondering/concerned about the possibility of wearing-out the 3.5mm jack on the phone from repeated plugging and unplugging of the 3.5mm cord. Is this something of real concern?

I looked into Bluetooth devices which plug into the AUX In jack which would eliminate the need for the 3.5mm cord, but each have their pro's and con's of course.

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 01-15-2014, 09:57 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 763 Post(s)
Liked: 1178
Quote:
Originally Posted by CLEHD View Post

I was wondering/concerned about the possibility of wearing-out the 3.5mm jack on the phone from repeated plugging and unplugging of the 3.5mm cord. Is this something of real concern?

It is possible, for sure. 3.5 mm jacks are generally pretty fragile, but there is quite a range of durability on the market. The quality of the assembly of the jack and the cord also matters. IME right angle plugs tend to be more durable because they don't provide as long of a lever arm for bending forces.
post #3 of 4 Old 01-15-2014, 10:03 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by arnyk View Post

It is possible, for sure. 3.5 mm jacks are generally pretty fragile, but there is quite a range of durability on the market. The quality of the assembly of the jack and the cord also matters. IME right angle plugs tend to be more durable because they don't provide as long of a lever arm for bending forces.

I am not 100% sure what you mean by "bending forces", but if I interpret what you are saying correctly then I will say that there is no tension on the connection whatsoever. My phone (iPhone 5S) is perhaps 1.5 ft at most from the AUX In jack and the cord is 4 ft long I believe. Plenty of slack. If I interpreted your statement incorrectly, I apologize.

My concern revolves around the friction/rubbing/what have you of repeated plugging & unplugging.

post #4 of 4 Old 01-15-2014, 12:12 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 763 Post(s)
Liked: 1178
Quote:
Originally Posted by CLEHD View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by arnyk View Post

I am not 100% sure what you mean by "bending forces", but if I interpret what you are saying correctly then I will say that there is no tension on the connection whatsoever. My phone (iPhone 5S) is perhaps 1.5 ft at most from the AUX In jack and the cord is 4 ft long I believe. Plenty of slack. If I interpreted your statement incorrectly, I apologize.

My concern revolves around the friction/rubbing/what have you of repeated plugging & unplugging.

If the plug is gold plated, the gold being soft will eventually get scrubbed off from multiple insertions. If it was a quality job of gold plating, there will be a layer of nickel or similar harder protective metal under the gold that will maintain the corrosion free nature of the plug. Gold is eschewed by professionals in a high use application for this reason.
Reply CD Players & Dedicated Music Transports

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page