How to improve stereo sound - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 11 Old 01-15-2014, 09:26 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Would I buy external DAC, such as the Rega DAC. Will there be a better sound in system?
The system is: Onkyo 3007, Oppo 103, Amp. Nad C352, CD player Nad C 542 and complet 5.1 Monitor Audio RS speakers. Front is RS8, rear RS1.
Amp is connected via pre-out on Onkyo 3007.
For music I use CD player Nad C542,
and for Blu ray and DVD films are Oppo 103.
How to improve stereo sound in my system?
Thanks in advance.
Regards.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 01-15-2014, 11:27 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 288 Post(s)
Liked: 997
Quote:
Originally Posted by nesone View Post

Would I buy external DAC, such as the Rega DAC. Will there be a better sound in system?
The system is: Onkyo 3007, Oppo 103, Amp. Nad C352, CD player Nad C 542 and complete 5.1 Monitor Audio RS speakers. Front is RS8, rear RS1.

You already have an excess of good DACs in your system. First this is because the Onkyo 3007 has all of the DACs that you need. You could be using lower cost players and feed their digital outputs into the Onkyo and bypass their DACs. This would be following the good rule of keeping audio in the digital domain as close to the speaker terminals as you can.

Then, the Oppo 103 has a great DAC and can play CDs so that gives you another DAC that is redundant with the one in your CD player, or vice versa.

So with all of those great DACs, you must be in audio nirvana and there would be no reason to post this message. But you posted the following:
Quote:

Well the fact that you have all of these great DACs and are obviously not in audio nirvana just proves to me again that DACs must not be the best way to get to audio nirvana. If it were, you'd already be there! For the record the DACs in your Oppo 103 are probable the best you have, but its all for naught because of the prerecorded media you play on it, and your speakers and listening room's flaws.

Well, now that this DAC strangeness is settled let's get you on a more productive path to better sound.

(1) Room acoustics treatments

(2) Better/more Subwoofers
post #3 of 11 Old 01-15-2014, 11:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 257

Speakers and room acoustics.  That is what will have a real effect on your sound.  Speakers, of course, include subwoofers.  A new DAC will not help you.

God willing, we will prevail in peace and freedom from fear and in true health through the purity and essence of our natural fluids. God bless you all.
post #4 of 11 Old 01-16-2014, 01:38 AM - Thread Starter

Thank you both for your answers.
Mr.arnyk how best to connect the components of my system to get the best stereo sound?
So leave out the Nad C542, and listening to Red Book CD on Oppo 103 and Nad C352, which is connected to O.3007 via pre outs.
Please write me your opinion.
Thank you in advance.
post #5 of 11 Old 01-16-2014, 05:37 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Thank you both for your answers.

Mr.arnyk how best to connect the components of my system to get the best stereo sound?
So leave out the Nad C542, and listening to Red Book CD on Oppo 103 and Nad C352, which is connected to O.3007 via pre outs.
Please write me your opinion.

I'd pick the Oppo as my primary music player and connect it to the Onkyo 3007 via HDMI.

One obvious question relates to human factors - can you get used to using the Oppo's controls for playing CDs. it clearly has the the sound quality technical chops to play CDs brilliantly.

FWIW my system has a networked computer, the AVR's internal internet/network music player, and a BD player as music/video sources. I have over 20 GB or high bitrate MP3s and .wav filesas my backup music source which I play using the network digital player on my AVR.

What have you done along the lines of exploiting the Audyssey Multieq XT in that Onkyo AVR? More comments about this below.

Anything with NAD on its front panel would be set aside with the intention that it be sold off once the dust settles, to finance future exploits involving speakers (probably improved or additional subwoofers) and room treatments.

The real question would be whether you could be happy with the Oppo just driving the two front speakers or whether you would want to use the Onkyo's Dolby PLIIz sound field to engage your complete speaker array.

In another thread I've been conversing with a happy Monitor Audio RS series owner. He tells me that he became much happier after system tuning and room treatments. Monitor Audio appears to have robust clean speakers with some manageable off-axis response smoothness issues that benefit from room treatments in many situations. He said that his speakers were a bit harsh or bright before he did the right thing.
post #6 of 11 Old 01-17-2014, 10:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked: 759
Quote:

The system is: Onkyo 3007, Oppo 103, Amp. Nad C352, CD player Nad C 542 and complet 5.1 Monitor Audio RS speakers. Front is RS8, rear RS1.
Thanks in advance.
Regards.

Add a sub.

Your speakers are known to be slow and sloppy on the low end if they have a flaw. A sub fixes this and really there is not much else to fix in your system without upgrading everything at considerable expense. You have a great system now.

Room treatments? Sure.

I just can't support Arny, who I respect, on eliminating the NAD Cd player. Id's ask him, is this a preference or has the Oppo 103 tested better and if so in what way and how audible is the difference?

BTW, I have the same OPPO 103, Nad 372 and NaD 542 as you.

Elwood P. Dowd: Years ago my mother used to say to me, she'd say, "In this world, Elwood, you must be" - she always called me Elwood - "In this world, Elwood, you must be oh so smart or oh so pleasant." Well, for years I was smart. I recommend pleasant. You may quote me.
post #7 of 11 Old 01-18-2014, 06:04 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by eljr View Post

I just can't support Arny, who I respect, on eliminating the NAD Cd player.

The reason is quite simple - it is unnecessary to have both a CD and DVD/BD player in a system unless the BD player is very stripped back and hard to use.

If you want to rack up digital players and fill a closet or equipment cabinet with them, fine but it is not necessary. I'm simply recommending keeping the more capable player.
Quote:
I'd ask him, is this a preference or has the Oppo 103 tested better and if so in what way and how audible is the difference?

It appears that the Nad C542 is an older and more functionally limited device, and not highly regarded. I don't think there is an audible difference, at least until you try to play a DVD, SACD, DVD-A or BD disc. Then the Nad C542 kinda stinks - won't even load the disc, right? ;-)
post #8 of 11 Old 01-18-2014, 08:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by arnyk View Post

The reason is quite simple - it is unnecessary to have both a CD and DVD/BD player in a system unless the BD player is very stripped back and hard to use.

If you want to rack up digital players and fill a closet or equipment cabinet with them, fine but it is not necessary. I'm simply recommending keeping the more capable player.
It appears that the Nad C542 is an older and more functionally limited device, and not highly regarded. I don't think there is an audible difference, at least until, you try to play a DVD, SACD, DVD-A or BD disc. Then the Nad C542 kinda stinks - won't even load the disc, right? ;-)

lol, it does not even load some dics I have burned anymore.

Tell you what I'll do, I'll start to use the Oppo for all discs for a week and if I am happy, I'll yank it. It's one of 3 CD players in this second system anyway. wink.gif

But it goes in the closet, or maybe in the bedroom or porch. I am not selling anything anymore. (nor trading up) tongue.gif

Elwood P. Dowd: Years ago my mother used to say to me, she'd say, "In this world, Elwood, you must be" - she always called me Elwood - "In this world, Elwood, you must be oh so smart or oh so pleasant." Well, for years I was smart. I recommend pleasant. You may quote me.
post #9 of 11 Old 01-21-2014, 02:10 AM - Thread Starter

I will listen to your advice. Source will be the Oppo 103.
For stereo music amplifier which is better?
Onkyo or NAD?
How do I connect?
HDMI or analog for best result?
Thanks.
post #10 of 11 Old 01-21-2014, 04:58 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Onkyo or NAD?

I'll make it easy for you and say it doesn't matter. BTW, if both are in good operational order, it doesn't matter.
Quote:
How do I connect? HDMI or analog for best result?

HDMI makes it easy, and being a digital connection, it has the best probability of being essentially perfect.
post #11 of 11 Old 01-21-2014, 09:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Onkyo or NAD?
How do I connect?
HDMI or analog for best result?
Thanks.

I yanked my Nad542 CD out of my B system based on this thread already. It took me about 2-3 hours of listening to the Oppo to decide nothing was lost. Did not need the week.

Reply CD Players & Dedicated Music Transports

Tags
Onkyo Tx Nr3007 140 Watts 9 2 Channel Av Surround Home Network Receiver Black , Oppo Bdp 103 3d Blu Ray Player
Gear in this thread

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page