Broken Shure Cartridge - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 01-18-2014, 07:07 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10

I've recently acquired a Harmon/Kardon T55C with a Shure M111-HE cartridge from my father. While I was transporting it the stylus moved a bit a broke the tip of the cartridge off. Is there any place that will fix the cartridge or is this a good time to upgrade to a new/different cartridge. 

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 01-18-2014, 08:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 257

It depends on what you mean by "the tip."  The stylus is generally replaceable, and usually just plugs into the cartridge.  But if you broke part of the actual cartridge that does not remove with the stylus, then it would be a good time to replace the cartridge.

docwoody likes this.

God willing, we will prevail in peace and freedom from fear and in true health through the purity and essence of our natural fluids. God bless you all.
post #3 of 6 Old 01-19-2014, 03:20 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 674 Post(s)
Liked: 1142
Quote:
Originally Posted by docwoody View Post

I've recently acquired a Harmon/Kardon T55C with a Shure M111-HE cartridge from my father. While I was transporting it the stylus moved a bit a broke the tip of the cartridge off. Is there any place that will fix the cartridge or is this a good time to upgrade to a new/different cartridge. 

Here is what a M111 HE looks like when unbroken.

What is really wrong with yours?

This appears to be an OEM version of a M97He which is a very fine cartrdige.

Usually stylus assemblies fix just about anything that is broken, and are avaiable for reasonable prices on eBay. etc.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Stylus-Needle-turntable-for-Shure-M111HE-N111HE-778-771-DE-RXT-5-RXT-6-V15-RS-/261340904484
docwoody likes this.
post #4 of 6 Old 01-19-2014, 09:06 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10

I guess it would have been more accurate to say the needle. Looks like I should be able to go with your ebay link arnyk?

post #5 of 6 Old 01-19-2014, 09:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 257

Yes, you just need a new stylus (or "needle," if you prefer that term).  They wear out over time anyway, so replacing it might have been a good idea anyway, so don't feel too bad about breaking it.  And it is really easy to damage them, too.  I have done it before, and, of course, had to buy a new needle because of my carelessness.

God willing, we will prevail in peace and freedom from fear and in true health through the purity and essence of our natural fluids. God bless you all.
post #6 of 6 Old 01-19-2014, 10:13 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 674 Post(s)
Liked: 1142
Quote:
Originally Posted by docwoody View Post

I guess it would have been more accurate to say the needle. Looks like I should be able to go with your ebay link arnyk?

You have choices. There are two suppliers on eBay, one selling a Pfanstiel generic replacment, the other selling a no-name generic replacment. Some recommend the Jico generic replacement over the Pfantseil for about $15 more:

http://stylus.export-japan.com/product_info.php?products_id=1024

In my book the money for anew stylus is chump change either way so I'd probably go with the Jico not knowing whether to believe what I read on the web or not.

An actual Shure N97E stylus assembly would be best, but they cost almost as much as a new cartridge - about $80.

I've seen M97HE cartridges NIB for that much, and even bought one "Just in case".

http://www.amazon.com/Shure-M97xE-High-Performance-Magnetic-Cartridge/dp/B00006I5SB

The M97HE is not the most expensive cartridge out there, but it is IME one of the best.
Reply CD Players & Dedicated Music Transports

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page