Pioneer PD-F1009: CD Tray Won't Turn!! - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 
Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 Old 01-24-2014, 10:50 AM - Thread Starter
Newbie
 
tonytrout's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 4
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10

Hi!  I'm new here (I saw the thread where to introduce myself so I'll post there after I finish here).  

I have a Pioneer PD-F-1009 301-Disc CD player and, just the other day, I accidentally got a CD lodged inside of it and that caused the tray to stop rotating so I had to remove all of the CDs to see if I could somehow get it working again - however, after unplugging it and leaving it for a little while and then plugging it back up, the tray still will not turn but I can load a few CDs even though I can't play them. 

Is there any way to fix this problem or should I try to find another CD player?  I've tried looking around on the net and I cannot seem to find any CD player that will hold 300 discs (I have a very large music collection).  

Can anybody give me any ideas?  Your help would be more appreciated than you know!  I haven't been able to listen to any CDs in a few days and I'm about to go crazy (not literally)!

 

Thank You, 
Tony Trout
 

tonytrout is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 8 Old 01-25-2014, 09:19 AM
Senior Member
 
Cebolla's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 266
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Hi Tony,

I can't really help with the repair of the CD player, nor with obtaining a similar device to replace it.

My suggestion would be to think about perhaps ripping (copying) your CD collection and storing it for playback by computer, as an alternative. If you do already have a computer, then it should be just a question of obtaining help as to how to do this and connecting it to your existing music system. Otherwise there's the cost of a computer to take into account compared to the cost of repairing your existing CD player or another one to replace it with.

John
Cebolla is offline  
post #3 of 8 Old 01-26-2014, 01:13 PM
Newbie
 
The Pendragon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Southern Wisconsin
Posts: 14
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10

My buddy has an old Sony multi disc CD changer he doesn't really use any more.  I can get more info like price, model number, ect.. if your interest? 

The Pendragon is offline  
post #4 of 8 Old 01-27-2014, 12:04 PM - Thread Starter
Newbie
 
tonytrout's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 4
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cebolla View Post

Hi Tony,

I can't really help with the repair of the CD player, nor with obtaining a similar device to replace it.

My suggestion would be to think about perhaps ripping (copying) your CD collection and storing it for playback by computer, as an alternative. If you do already have a computer, then it should be just a question of obtaining help as to how to do this and connecting it to your existing music system. Otherwise there's the cost of a computer to take into account compared to the cost of repairing your existing CD player or another one to replace it with.

John

 

 

John, 

Which is costlier?  Replacement or repairing of the CD player?  Thanks for your help.  

tonytrout is offline  
post #5 of 8 Old 01-29-2014, 11:11 AM
Senior Member
 
Cebolla's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 266
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Hi Tony,

Sorry for any confusion, but I did say I couldn't really help with repairing the CD changer or replacing it with another one.

My suggestion was to use an existing computer instead to copy your CD collection to & playback from connected to the rest of your music system. A computer with storage drive space of around 250 GB should be sufficient enough to hold the copies of a collection of ~500 CDs if not more. However, ripping a large CD collection for storage to computer is no trivial matter, being a time consuming excercise and can be a bit confusing at first, if you've never done it before.

Are you interested in doing this?
If so, do you have a computer available for this purpose?

John
Cebolla is offline  
post #6 of 8 Old 01-29-2014, 12:06 PM - Thread Starter
Newbie
 
tonytrout's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 4
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cebolla View Post

Hi Tony,

Sorry for any confusion, but I did say I couldn't really help with repairing the CD changer or replacing it with another one.

My suggestion was to use an existing computer instead to copy your CD collection to & playback from connected to the rest of your music system. A computer with storage drive space of around 250 GB should be sufficient enough to hold the copies of a collection of ~500 CDs if not more. However, ripping a large CD collection for storage to computer is no trivial matter, being a time consuming excercise and can be a bit confusing at first, if you've never done it before.

Are you interested in doing this?
If so, do you have a computer available for this purpose?

John


John, 

I've ripped CDs to my computer before and, yes, it is a time-consuming thing to do.  I have a 1TB external HDD that I could move them to.  My computers hard drive is a 1TB drive.  I was actually setting aside the 1TB External HDD for videos and pictures (Elvis photos and guitar pics), though.  I may invest in another external HDD that's a bit larger (like a 2TB drive) and put them on that drive.  However, I wouldn't be able to get started this week or next due to extensive invasive foot surgery coming up next Tuesday (plus, my general health just won't allow me to do much because I have Cerebral Palsy & Hydrocephalus and this cold winter is very rough on me.
 

tonytrout is offline  
post #7 of 8 Old 02-01-2014, 07:57 AM
Member
 
Tom White's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Posts: 50
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 10
In your original post, you said you have removed a number of the CDs to try to find a cause. Have you actually taken the cover off the player yet? Should just be a couple screws on each side, plus two or three on the back. You will get a much better view of what may be blocking it this way., and it is easy to do.
Tom White is offline  
post #8 of 8 Old 02-01-2014, 09:19 AM
Senior Member
 
Cebolla's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 266
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonytrout View Post

John, 


I've ripped CDs to my computer before and, yes, it is a time-consuming thing to do.  I have a 1TB external HDD that I could move them to.  My computers hard drive is a 1TB drive.  I was actually setting aside the 1TB External HDD for videos and pictures (Elvis photos and guitar pics), though.  I may invest in another external HDD that's a bit larger (like a 2TB drive) and put them on that drive.  However, I wouldn't be able to get started this week or next due to extensive invasive foot surgery coming up next Tuesday (plus, my general health just won't allow me to do much because I have Cerebral Palsy & Hydrocephalus and this cold winter is very rough on me.
 
Tony,

So sorry to hear about your affliction. Since you've already experienced what ripping CDs is like, it should hopefully not cause you too much stress should you choose to take it up again. The other thing to consider is how to connect the computer to your music system (hopefully it at least has a standard line input) and what playback method to use.

If you are able and happy to place and use the computer for playback next to your system then it should just be a question of connecting the two together via a cable. Hopefully your computer's soundcard is of decent enough quality to avoid the expense of havng to add an external DAC between it and the music system. For the actual playback of the ripped files, I'd recommend using free decent software, such as the excellent Foobar2000 (if it's a Windows computer - you didn't say).

Otherwise, if it's not possible to place the computer near enough to connect it to the music system by short cable, then the only alternative would be to stream to it. This unfortunately will require buying a device to allow you to do this, though we are talking about ~$100 at the most. The type of streaming device to get will depend on whether you have a wireless network or not and this will also determine the type of software to use on the computer.

So a few more things for you to think about. Hope it all goes well for you next week!

John
Cebolla is offline  
Reply CD Players & Dedicated Music Transports

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off