Audio Neophyte Asks: Mixtape hardware - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 02-03-2014, 06:02 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10

Okay, so my fiancee and I have been making mixtapes, predominantely from CD to audio cassette, for several years, and we have always sort of made shots in the dark regarding brand and product.

Our 5-disc Sharp stereo system recently defecated in the bed, and we are once again in the market.  I realize this method is probably outmoded in this day and age, but it is more of a feeling thing; it has something to do with the craftsmanship involved in spacing out two sides of audio cassette and putting thought into transition... I won't bore you with the "why."

I come to you now asking if there would be any sense in finding some sort of tape deck, as opposed to a stereo, to fulfill our needs and/or increase quality.  I've seen decks with CD players in them made by TEAC, but they seem more concerned with converting from cassette to CD or MP3.

If the stereo route is still the most sensible, is there a brand/model you can suggest with high-quality recording and playback?  CD to Cassette is a must; cassette to cassette in addition would be awesome; and if I get a third wish, the ability to fade songs and adjust speed and all that kind of stuff would be pretty sweet.  

$250 would be about the max, pushing it even, but I am willing to consider all suggestions.

Thank you very much for your time

-Morgan C Reynolds

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 02-03-2014, 06:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 268
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=productlist.jsp&sku=813562&is=REG&Q=add&q=1&A=cart

If you can't explain how it works, you can't say it doesn't.—The High-End Creed

post #3 of 4 Old 02-03-2014, 06:58 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for your response.

I was looking actually looking at that, but would I then hook up a CD player to it?  Dual cassettes is pretty sweet, but 90% of the music we're working off is in our CD library.

This is the original model I saw, but I was concerned about the reviews and its focus on going from cassette to CD instead of the other way around.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0037VZUPO/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pd_S_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=GG9URWGJMT4S&coliid=I1KPGUXUETZH8A

post #4 of 4 Old 02-03-2014, 07:03 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for your response.

I was actually looking at that model earlier, but realized it didn't have a CD player.  Dual Cassettes is sweet, but 95% of the media I'd be working with would be in our CD library.  Would I be able to hook up a CD player to it easiler?  Anything I have learned about this stuff has been from self-taught and based on trial and error.

I saw a similar model from TEAC, the AD-800 with cassette and USB.  It has a CD player in it but seems to focus on creating CDs from cassettes, not the other way around.  Any insight there?

Reply CD Players & Dedicated Music Transports

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page