Marantz 6320 turntable worth the risk? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 02-04-2014, 12:13 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10

Hello all!  Not quite sure this is in the right section as I haven seen turntable threads in both this and the 2-channel thread but chose this one.

I'm in the process of building out my budget system, sniffing around local thrift shops for discarded gold when I happened upon a slightly dusty Marantz 6320 turntable.  So far as I can tell it has a cartridge, but no stylus.  The owner of the shop has it listed for only $40 bucks but he ensures me that everything he sells works "just peachy" and the old codger wont let me test it.  I've tried looking for a replacement online but haven;t had any luck so far(neither LP Gear or LP Tune has them listed).  My question is, do you think it is worth it to grab it now and how to get a replacement cartridge and stylus later or pass?   any help much appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 02-04-2014, 01:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 257

Have you dealt with him before?  What is his return policy if it does not work "just peachy?"

If it looks like there is nothing wrong with it, it is likely worth more than his asking price, so it may well be a good deal.  But whether you should buy it or not depends on how risk averse you are, and how good you are at repairing things, and whether you know someone you can trust to fix it, and how much you would be willing to pay to have it fixed, if anything is needed beyond a new stylus.

God willing, we will prevail in peace and freedom from fear and in true health through the purity and essence of our natural fluids. God bless you all.
post #3 of 5 Old 02-04-2014, 01:41 PM - Thread Starter

True very true.  Its sort of like having the money to buy a high mileage luxury car but not having enough to repair it when it gets broken or there is unforeseen damage.  Price of the tone arms and such are not cheap.  Sure I could buy it and try to flip it but that just seems...odd.  Dunno yet bet thanks for the advice.

post #4 of 5 Old 02-04-2014, 01:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 257

I just had another thought.  If you do not mind reselling it, you should probably buy it.  If there is something seriously wrong with it, you could probably get your money back selling it for parts.

God willing, we will prevail in peace and freedom from fear and in true health through the purity and essence of our natural fluids. God bless you all.
post #5 of 5 Old 02-04-2014, 02:13 PM - Thread Starter

Might just do that. Thanks for the advice, going to head back and see if its still there.
Reply CD Players & Dedicated Music Transports

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page