Maranz UD7007 for example - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 02-21-2014, 06:07 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10

Hi

Is there any point in purchasing a Blu-ray/ CD player with a separate Pure Direct outlet and using it with my Pioneer SC-2022 receiver that has Pure Direct?

Here I'm talking about normal stereo CDs.

Do

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 02-21-2014, 07:32 AM
FMW
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 128 Post(s)
Liked: 639
I have no idea what a pure direct output is on a Blu Ray player. The player should have some sort of analog and some sort of digital (such as HDMI) output. If you use the analog ones, the DAC in the player will be the one that is used. If you use the digital output, the DAC in the AVR will be the one that is used. It best practice to keep the data in digital form for as long as possible in the audio chain, so I recommend buying a Blu Ray with an HDMI output and connecting that to the AVR. Then you can use the AVR to process the signal or disable processing (pure direct) as you prefer.
post #3 of 6 Old 02-21-2014, 01:53 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dobson View Post

Hi
Is there any point in purchasing a Blu-ray/ CD player with a separate Pure Direct outlet and using it with my Pioneer SC-2022 receiver that has Pure Direct?
Here I'm talking about normal stereo CDs.
Do
Probably two different things. If you use the analog outs on the Marantz, the Pure Direct will disable (turn off) everything else on the player except the signal moving through the DACS to the analog outs.
If you use the 7007 as a transport and send the data to the receiver, the receiver's DACs will convert it to analog, and the Pure Direct (if turned off) will pass it through to the analog outs without further processing.
post #4 of 6 Old 02-22-2014, 02:37 AM - Thread Starter

Liked: 10

At the moment, I am using a Sony BDP-S790 player connected to my Pioneer SC-2022 receiver and playing my normal CDs in Pure Direct mode.

Let's pretend for a moment I have the hearing of a healthy baby, would I be able to notice the difference using the Maranz with its Pure Direct HDMI output connection compared to the Sony?

post #5 of 6 Old 02-22-2014, 11:41 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 19
Quote:

At the moment, I am using a Sony BDP-S790 player connected to my Pioneer SC-2022 receiver and playing my normal CDs in Pure Direct mode.

Let's pretend for a moment I have the hearing of a healthy baby, would I be able to notice the difference using the Maranz with its Pure Direct HDMI output connection compared to the Sony?

The Marantz Pure Direct is for use with its analog outs.
post #6 of 6 Old 02-23-2014, 12:36 AM
FMW
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 128 Post(s)
Liked: 639
Quote:

Not in a bias controlled listening test.
Reply CD Players & Dedicated Music Transports

Tags
Marantz Ud7007 Universal Disc Player With Networking Black
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page