Turntable Newb - what part(s) are needed? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 03-06-2014, 08:24 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Got this Pioneer PL L 1000 record player from my uncle. Never owned a record player before.

Photo attached is the unit. My uncle said it is missing a cartridge. My friend (who I texted this photo to) said it is also missing a headshell? Also the rubber record mat thing (Upper left corner) is all wrinkled up, I can try to straighten it out with a heavy book, but is this needed, or needs to be replaced too?

What part(s) are needed (and can someone point me in the direction of where to buy) some parts to make this work? bonus points for amazon since I can get the stuff by this weekend to set it up but I am open to other options if possible.

This set up is not for "critical" listening, I just have some old hi fi stuff in the basement and wanted to dabble with a record player. Is it possible to get the "parts" needed for ~$50-$75-ish?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 03-06-2014, 09:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 61
Yes it is missing the headshell as well as the cartridge. I am not sure if a standard Technics or AT headshell will fit, but it probably will. You can find one locally at a Guitar Center or Musicians Friend I bet.
For further instructions, go to www.vinylengine.com. Join up (it is free) and you can access the instruction manuals for many older turntables, including yours! (it is there, I checked, under library).
Enjoy, it sounds like it is a very fine turntable if operating properly. smile.gif
post #3 of 7 Old 03-10-2014, 08:27 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 748 Post(s)
Liked: 1162
Quote:
Originally Posted by ezlotogura View Post

Got this Pioneer PL L 1000 record player from my uncle. Never owned a record player before.

Photo attached is the unit. My uncle said it is missing a cartridge. My friend (who I texted this photo to) said it is also missing a headshell? Also the rubber record mat thing (Upper left corner) is all wrinkled up, I can try to straighten it out with a heavy book, but is this needed, or needs to be replaced too?

What part(s) are needed (and can someone point me in the direction of where to buy) some parts to make this work? bonus points for amazon since I can get the stuff by this weekend to set it up but I am open to other options if possible.

This set up is not for "critical" listening, I just have some old hi fi stuff in the basement and wanted to dabble with a record player. Is it possible to get the "parts" needed for ~$50-$75-ish?

This is what it looks like in a more complete state:

It appears that you have received good advice and that a standard headshell and cartridge are required.

Your existing receiver amplifier or preamp may not have a proper input for a quality magnetic cartridge and you may also need a stand-alone phono preamp.
post #4 of 7 Old 03-12-2014, 07:59 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Thanks for the advice. My receiver is a Pioneer from the same year, forget the model # off hand. But its also from 1978/1979, so I think it should work decently with this record player? I just had the receiver restored too so its in great shape (using it now with Sonos). I got an AT95e cartridge and Ortofon headshell and hope to put it all together this weekend.
post #5 of 7 Old 03-12-2014, 10:00 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 35
That's a very nice turntable. You definitely need to replace the rubber platter mat; it's unlikely that you'll be able to thoroughly flatten the current mat. Plenty of options for that are available on eBay. There are cheap headshells available for under $10, but I prefer to stick with the better-quality Technics SL-1200MK2 headshells for about $20. This thread suggests that an AT95E will match well with the PL-L1000's tonearm, so that should get you started until/if you decide to explore higher-end cartridge options.

If your Pioneer receiver has a phono input then it should work with your PL-L1000 + AT95E, assuming of course that the input is functioning properly.
post #6 of 7 Old 03-13-2014, 01:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 223 Post(s)
Liked: 787
Nice resurrection! Hopefully will not need service for bearings etc. Were you able to replace the rubber mat? Another source for turntable stuff is needledoctor.com.

post #7 of 7 Old 03-14-2014, 07:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 61
And another is www.lpgear.com
Reply CD Players & Dedicated Music Transports

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page