Olive 4 (a.k.a. Opus No. 4) Recovery CD ISO - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 03-22-2014, 03:30 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10

Hi! This is my first post here. I've owned an Olive 4 (used to be called Opus No. 4) for the past several years, and have recently replaced it with NAS (Synology DS214play), Squeezebox Duet, and Roku Player.

I pulled the SATA drive from the Olive 4 and using a USB-to-SATA adpater, copied the contents of /data/AudioLibrary to the NAS. I then used Foobar2000 the move the files into a more sensible directory hierarchy based on their tags.

In preparation for selling the Olive, I'd like to wipe the drive, as I've been using it as a generic file server as well as a music server. After wiping the drive, I'll do a fresh installation of the OS. Here's the problem. The only CD I can put my hands on is version O.3.3.1. The recovery CD ISO on Olive's web site is either corrupt or is not, in fact, and ISO image. Can anyone point me to a recovery CD for the Olive 4 that is newer than O.3.3.1?

By the way, I "jailbroke" my Olive several years ago, and would be happy to help anyone "hack" theirs!

Best wishes,

Myles

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 03-25-2014, 04:03 PM - Thread Starter

Does anyone know how to install an Olive 4 from scratch? I'm starting with the original 1-TB hard drive that's been wiped. I have files that are meant to be used for USB recovery, but they don't seem to work. Olive support told me to power on the unit while holding down select and down, and it will prompt for the USB media, but it does not. Recovery files appear to be encrypted with their famous "zcryp", which is what they use to encrypt the backups and updates. Is there a version of "zcrypt" or similar that I can run on Windows/Mac OS/Linux? I have the ARM binary, but it's of no use outside the Olive.

Thanks!

Myles

post #3 of 6 Old 03-30-2014, 05:36 PM

...same here. My 4HD didn´t react on select and down until I cleaned the cable contacts. It simply had problems at the contacts bar (two flats from touch display to main board). Now select and down while starting works - at the end asking for the usb recovery stick. How did you manage to jailbreak your Olive? That sounds interesting. I tried to export my lib, but failed, because loss of tags...

cheers

Harald

post #4 of 6 Old 04-01-2014, 06:31 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks to help from members of this forum, I was able to install the software on my Olive 4. The Olive CD Recovery Image 4.1.4 is not an ISO 9660 image. As such, you cannot burn it with the utilities that ship with Mac OS X and Windows 7. Instead, use Active@ ISO Burner 3.0 Freeware. I chose "Disc-At-Once raw P-W". Power-on the Olive while holding down Select and Play, and insert the CD when prompted. Be patient, as the installation and initial boot take a long time. When it boots off the hard drive for the first time, it creates the file system on /dev/sda7 ("/data"), and this takes a long time.

Best wishes,

Myles

post #5 of 6 Old 04-01-2014, 06:50 AM
Super Moderator

Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Liked: 369
post #6 of 6 Old 04-01-2014, 06:55 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by markrubin View Post

you know there is a main thread for Olive here:

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1091695/official-olive-thread-opus-4-opus-6-melody-2-olive-2-olive-4-4hd-06hd

Yes, that's how I found this forum. Thanks for this amazing venue! If it weren't for the members here, I'd probably still be spinning my wheels.

Best wishes,

Myles

Reply CD Players & Dedicated Music Transports

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page