table radio/cd player recommendation - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 1 Old 04-11-2014, 08:52 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'm looking to replace a cheap and ugly 3-piece stereo unit with something small and cute, like one of those retro "table radio" things. I understand that this is basically a boombox for an old person who never wants to travel with the device, but that's OK with me. I suppose other way to look at it is a fancy-schmancy clock radio, although I do not care at all about the clock.

It would be great if the thing also played CDs, or maybe if it could do some kind of trick where I put the CD in my computer and the audio is magically transported to the box, either via a cable or Bluetooth or whatever. However, I would much prefer the simplicity of loading CDs directly into the device.

I am not terribly concerned with sound quality. I have the feeling I want stereo, but I gather if stereo speakers are close together in a cute little box, it might as well be mono.

Primarily, I listen to Stern on Sirius and NPR on FM/Sirius/podcast, so something that sounds good with chatter would be preferable.

This is another issue, but it feeds into the same problem, so I'll mention it here...right now I have a Sirius device that broadcasts on the FM band. It is fairly terrible (pretty much every channel on the dial is populated here), but it gets the job done. If I could get Sirius programming as podcasts and play them at my leisure, I'd ditch the device and even quicker if this new box I buy has some way to output those shows and hopefully my regular podcasts as well. I have an iPhone, but am not married to it, so a flexible input would be desirable as well.

So, to recap...something...

1. small and preferably retro cute
2. plays FM
3. plays CDs or has some plan to take CD input that is not a terrible hassle
4. plays podcasts/Sirius/phone output

Is there a box that does all this that doesn't break the bank, if I'm willing to sacrifice some level of sound quality to get the job done?

I apologize for the entry level question, but I've been googling for a couple of days now and my recon run to Best Buy just about made my head explode.

Any nudge in the right direction would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks very much.
Reply CD Players & Dedicated Music Transports