Turntable On/Off Switch & Power Question - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 04-15-2014, 03:21 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 23

So I just got a Marantz TT-15S1 turntable. Fantastic turntable, I'm very happy with it, but that's for another time.

One issue that I'm finding with it is the on/off switch. The motor is completely de-coupled from the platter as a separate unit, and fits into a hole in the platter slightly bigger than the motor housing so that they don't touch.

This does wonders for suppressing hum, but the on/off switch on the motor requires a bit of force and the whole motor-housing moves every time I flick it, pushing the motor back in contact with the platter. The only way to avoid this is to hold down the motor firmly with one hand and flick the power with the other, which can be a bit of a pain.

So my question is, would it be safe if I just kept the motor in the on position and attached the motor's power cord to it's own separate surge protector, then used the surge-protector's on/off switch to, in turn, trigger the turntable's motor on and off?

In theory I feel like this is a good idea, but something tells me it could be unhealthy for the motor. Do I have anything to worry about?

Thanks for any help!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 04-17-2014, 01:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 257
You can use an outlet strip to turn it on and off if you want. It will not hurt anything at all. You could also try DeoxIT on the switch, to lubricate it (unplug it before using DeoxIT on it; follow the directions on the label). But if lubricating the switch does not take care of your problem, use an outlet strip as you are planning.

God willing, we will prevail in peace and freedom from fear and in true health through the purity and essence of our natural fluids. God bless you all.
post #3 of 3 Old 04-17-2014, 04:40 PM - Thread Starter

Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack D Ripper View Post

You can use an outlet strip to turn it on and off if you want. It will not hurt anything at all. You could also try DeoxIT on the switch, to lubricate it (unplug it before using DeoxIT on it; follow the directions on the label). But if lubricating the switch does not take care of your problem, use an outlet strip as you are planning.

Awesome, thanks a bunch for the response!

Reply CD Players & Dedicated Music Transports

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page