How to incorporate a record player in a system that uses an Oppo BDP-103 as the pre-amp? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 04-16-2014, 10:15 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 14
First off, let me say that record playback isn't a top-tier goal. It's really more of an afterthought. That said, I have a stash of 80's pop records from when I was younger (I'm now 31). My mom saved these for me and it would be cool to play them again with her. After all, she's the reason I have such a passion for this stuff. I do have one of those old all-in-one players that has the record player/8-track/radio and speaker but that's not really feasbile to use and I'd like to know if there's a way to incorporate a record player in to my current system, which may be a bit tricky...

I have a 5.2 system but since this question is only in regards to stereo playback, my current stereo setup is:
  • Source - Oppo BDP-103
  • DSP - Rane RPM26Z
  • Speakers - DIY 3-way speakers ran active off the Rane RPM26Z
  • Speaker Amps - Crown Drivecore XLS1500 (tweeters), XLS2000 (mids), XLS2500 (midwoofers)
  • Subs - JL Audio e112 ran off a Rane RPM88 (other channels used to process rest of system)

The Oppo is my pre-amp and the (2) Rane DSPs are used for crossover, time alignment, levels, EQ, etc. The Ranes do a great job of boosting the input signal from the Oppo to a high enough level to drive the Crown amps. The Oppo volume is controlled via iPhone/iPad app. All the gear is in a closet at the back of the room. It's an incredible set up as is, if I say so myself (I'm biased with all the design work and building of the speakers). wink.gif

When I set out to build this system I didn't see a need for a separate pre/pro as the Oppo and Rane combo do what I need. The Oppo also has an HDMI input as well that I can use for the AppleTV or DirecTV box (manually plug/unplug their HDMI as needed). As it sits, I'm perfectly content with the system and setup I have. However, that was before I even remotely considered using a turntable. There's also USB input.

My question is simply: is there a way to incorporate a record player in to the current system?
I know nothing about record players, really. I do know they typically have unbalanced RCA output (phono) which is typically fed in to a preamp.
Since my Oppo is my pre-amp, the only option I can think of is to somehow find or convert the signal from a record player in to HDMI. So, I guess I really have these options/questions:
  1. Is there a record player with HDMI output (seriously doubt it; as what would be the point)?
  2. Do I have any conversion options? I.E.; Could I convert phono to HDMI and go in to the Oppo? Is there a record player with optical output that I can convert to HDMI?
  3. The Oppo also has USB input. Are there turntables with USB output that I could use to feed in to the Oppo?

If these options fail, I guess my only real option then is to buy a pre-amp. And I won't be doing that anytime soon.

Thanks in advance for any advice,
Erin
www.medleysmusings.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 04-16-2014, 11:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked: 303
It looks like you would need two things:

1) a phono preamp, to equalize the phono output

2) a USB analog-to-digital converter

There are turntables, mostly at the lower end, which have these built in. Don't know what your budget is. As with anything in audio, you can spend a little and get decent sound, or you can spend a lot and you might get better sound.

If you can't explain how it works, you can't say it doesn't.—The High-End Creed

post #3 of 6 Old 04-16-2014, 11:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 258
You might want to get an HDMI switch box to avoid wearing out your HDMI input on your Oppo. If you plug and unplug enough, you will wear out the jack. HDMI switch boxes are pretty cheap.

God willing, we will prevail in peace and freedom from fear and in true health through the purity and essence of our natural fluids. God bless you all.
post #4 of 6 Old 04-17-2014, 01:28 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 12
As the Oppo has SPDIF in, a AD converter with SPDIF out might do the job as well

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 6 Old 04-17-2014, 01:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 258
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roseval View Post

As the Oppo has SPDIF in, a AD converter with SPDIF out might do the job as well

You are confusing the BDP-103 with the BDP-105. The BDP-105 has optical and coaxial digital inputs, but not the BDP-103 (the jacks on the BDP-103 for optical and coaxial digital are outputs, not inputs).

God willing, we will prevail in peace and freedom from fear and in true health through the purity and essence of our natural fluids. God bless you all.
post #6 of 6 Old 04-17-2014, 02:21 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I see
Thanks

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply CD Players & Dedicated Music Transports
Gear in this thread - bdp-103 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page