First off, let me say that record playback isn't a top-tier goal. It's really more of an afterthought. That said, I have a stash of 80's pop records from when I was younger (I'm now 31). My mom saved these for me and it would be cool to play them again with her. After all, she's the reason I have such a passion for this stuff. I do have one of those old all-in-one players that has the record player/8-track/radio and speaker but that's not really feasbile to use and I'd like to know if there's a way to incorporate a record player in to my current system, which may be a bit tricky...
I have a 5.2 system but since this question is only in regards to stereo playback, my current stereo
The Oppo is my pre-amp
- Source - Oppo BDP-103
- DSP - Rane RPM26Z
- Speakers - DIY 3-way speakers ran active off the Rane RPM26Z
- Speaker Amps - Crown Drivecore XLS1500 (tweeters), XLS2000 (mids), XLS2500 (midwoofers)
- Subs - JL Audio e112 ran off a Rane RPM88 (other channels used to process rest of system)
and the (2) Rane DSPs are used for crossover, time alignment, levels, EQ, etc. The Ranes do a great job of boosting the input signal from the Oppo to a high enough level to drive the Crown amps. The Oppo volume is controlled via iPhone/iPad app. All the gear is in a closet at the back of the room. It's an incredible set up as is, if I say so myself (I'm biased with all the design work and building of the speakers).
When I set out to build this system I didn't see a need for a separate pre/pro as the Oppo and Rane combo do what I need. The Oppo also has an HDMI input as well that I can use for the AppleTV or DirecTV box (manually plug/unplug their HDMI as needed). As it sits, I'm perfectly content with the system and setup I have. However, that was before I even remotely considered using a turntable. There's also USB input.
My question is simply: is there a way to incorporate a record player in to the current system?
I know nothing about record players, really. I do know they typically have unbalanced RCA output (phono) which is typically fed in to a preamp.
Since my Oppo is my pre-amp, the only option I can think of is to somehow find or convert the signal from a record player in to HDMI. So, I guess I really have these options/questions:
- Is there a record player with HDMI output (seriously doubt it; as what would be the point)?
- Do I have any conversion options? I.E.; Could I convert phono to HDMI and go in to the Oppo? Is there a record player with optical output that I can convert to HDMI?
- The Oppo also has USB input. Are there turntables with USB output that I could use to feed in to the Oppo?
If these options fail, I guess my only real option then is to buy a pre-amp. And I won't be doing that anytime soon.
Thanks in advance for any advice,