turntable jumps when walking in, out and around room - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 45 Old 04-28-2014, 10:27 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10

hi guys, i know this is probably a strange one. my turntable, a drive-based pioneer from the late 70s, is quite fragile. i live in a three story ex-council house with 3 floors. Our living room is on the second floor and some of the rooms have lodgers and there are communal spaces.

So my turntable is located on a hi-fi cabinet in the living room. it is quite prone to jumping if we sit in the sofa, or walk out the room, even when we try our best to be light footed!

just wondering if anyone has experienced this and what you have done to get round it? i am guessing it is because it isn't a solid floor but obviously we can't afford to go out and concrete all the floors!

thanks for reading :)

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 45 Old 04-28-2014, 10:38 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 29
I don't know if it is possible for you but I had the same problem and I took care of it by suspending it from the cieling. If you have people jumping around in the room above you it might not work. Mine was fine because the people upstairs from me when I lived there did not have kids jumping around all the time.
post #3 of 45 Old 04-28-2014, 10:44 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCARCIO View Post

I don't know if it is possible for you but I had the same problem and I took care of it by suspending it from the cieling. If you have people jumping around in the room above you it might not work. Mine was fine because the people upstairs from me when I lived there did not have kids jumping around all the time.

Thats an interesting idea. There is a floor above with 2 lodgers so might not work. Do you have pics? I also thought about putting shelves into the wall, but its a stud wall so it might have to same problem...

Edit: Its a solid wall not stud so maybe?

post #4 of 45 Old 04-28-2014, 01:04 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdeath View Post

Thats an interesting idea. There is a floor above with 2 lodgers so might not work. Do you have pics? I also thought about putting shelves into the wall, but its a stud wall so it might have to same problem...

Edit: Its a solid wall not stud so maybe?

I don't have pics because it was about 20 years ago and I no longer live there. I just used anchors to attach hooks to the cieling then ran 4 pieces of chain down to a piece of plywood that was big enough to hold the turntable.
post #5 of 45 Old 04-28-2014, 01:21 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

I don't have pics because it was about 20 years ago and I no longer live there. I just used anchors to attach hooks to the cieling then ran 4 pieces of chain down to a piece of plywood that was big enough to hold the turntable.

And that stopped it moving? Didn't it move on the chains?

post #6 of 45 Old 04-28-2014, 01:39 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

And that stopped it moving? Didn't it move on the chains?

Yes but not if I didn't bump it or move it for another reason. I could jump up and down and it would not effect it.
post #7 of 45 Old 04-28-2014, 01:50 PM
FMW
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 208 Post(s)
Liked: 694
Perhaps your stylus pressure is too light.
post #8 of 45 Old 04-28-2014, 01:58 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Yes but not if I didn't bump it or move it for another reason. I could jump up and down and it would not effect it.

Thats pretty cool !

Quote:
Originally Posted by FMW View Post

Perhaps your stylus pressure is too light.

I think I've got the balance just right. Its generally fine otherwise. I can add more weight, but doesn't make a difference, just puts too much pressure on the record.

post #9 of 45 Old 04-28-2014, 04:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 40
You need an Isolation stand to cut down on the vibrations. Check w/ Timber Nation on line they have some nice stands in the $40 price range. This should alleviate the problem.smile.gif
post #10 of 45 Old 04-28-2014, 11:54 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Class A View Post

You need an Isolation stand to cut down on the vibrations. Check w/ Timber Nation on line they have some nice stands in the $40 price range. This should alleviate the problem.smile.gif

Many thanks. Is there a UK equivalent do you know?
post #11 of 45 Old 05-01-2014, 08:53 AM - Thread Starter

post #12 of 45 Old 05-01-2014, 09:21 AM

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:

Yep, thats exactly what I did in the old days and it worked very well.
post #13 of 45 Old 05-01-2014, 11:01 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blindman0v0 View Post

Yep, thats exactly what I did in the old days and it worked very well.

Yeah unfortunately that won't work here. Currently I put an anti slip mat underneath which made a small difference. But I've now added a woolen blanket under the cabinet which so far seems to have worked... i keep finding myself bracing preparing for the skip though !

post #14 of 45 Old 05-01-2014, 12:26 PM

Quote:

Yeah unfortunately that won't work here. Currently I put an anti slip mat underneath which made a small difference. But I've now added a woolen blanket under the cabinet which so far seems to have worked... i keep finding myself bracing preparing for the skip though !
Does yours have the hydraulic filled feet? That helps quite a lot but its not usually enough for older homes. Certainly somebody makes an isolation stand for these now a days. I'm sure DJ's use some sort of an isolation system. You'll find a lot of them at ebay http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_trksid=p2050601.m570.l1313.TR4.TRC2.A0.H0.Xturntable+isolation&_nkw=turntable+isolation&_sacat=0&_from=R40
post #15 of 45 Old 05-02-2014, 02:59 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blindman0v0 View Post

Does yours have the hydraulic filled feet? That helps quite a lot but its not usually enough for older homes. Certainly somebody makes an isolation stand for these now a days. I'm sure DJ's use some sort of an isolation system. You'll find a lot of them at ebay http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_trksid=p2050601.m570.l1313.TR4.TRC2.A0.H0.Xturntable+isolation&_nkw=turntable+isolation&_sacat=0&_from=R40

It has slightly raised feet but hydraulic I dont think so. Ive put a woolen blanket under the cabinet and it works better. Will check out the isolation cabinets too :)

post #16 of 45 Old 05-02-2014, 09:03 AM

Some of those hydraulic feet are ridiculously expensive but it looks like you could get a nice set for less than $40.
post #17 of 45 Old 05-02-2014, 09:29 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 18
I've never used one myself but on various audiophile forums I've read about wall-mounted shelves for turntables. I think they mount directly to the studs in the wall, avoiding the "bounciness" found in floor-based mounting solutions.
post #18 of 45 Old 05-10-2014, 09:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Check out Silent Stage. It's a British company that makes TT Isolation Platforms. Prices are reasonable.smile.gif
post #19 of 45 Old 05-11-2014, 09:57 AM - Thread Starter

Awesome thank you :)

post #20 of 45 Old 05-14-2014, 03:42 PM

I solved my problem with that issue years ago and even though I've moved many times since, the problem never resurfaced.  Put the entertainment center with the turntable against an OUTSIDE wall rather than an inside wall.  The floorboard planking is anchored better against an outside wall, which is a SOLID wall, usually made of brick and mortar or poured concrete.  Inside walls tend to be made of wood and sheetrock or horsehair plaster and don't give the floorboard planking the same support as an outside wall.

post #21 of 45 Old 05-15-2014, 02:53 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mediaace View Post

I solved my problem with that issue years ago and even though I've moved many times since, the problem never resurfaced.  Put the entertainment center with the turntable against an OUTSIDE wall rather than an inside wall.  The floorboard planking is anchored better against an outside wall, which is a SOLID wall, usually made of brick and mortar or poured concrete.  Inside walls tend to be made of wood and sheetrock or horsehair plaster and don't give the floorboard planking the same support as an outside wall.

The inside wall it is against is also a solid wall, but I see what you are saying. I have though about moving it to the outside wall, but not sure with the layout of the room. WIll keep pondering though. So far putting the cabinet on top of a woollen blanket seems to have done the trick though.

post #22 of 45 Old 05-15-2014, 08:32 AM - Thread Starter

I added 2 layers of foam underneath the record player, but it still jumps when sitting on the sofa. I am now trying it on the outside wall corner to see if that makes a difference. Lots of jiggling stuff around! Would it make a difference that my record player is current on TOP of my unit? What if I put it inside? Would that make a lot of difference or no?

post #23 of 45 Old 05-16-2014, 12:05 AM - Thread Starter

I've moved the turntable, kept the foam and put it inside the cabinet. I've also removed the blanket. It's not perfect but better than it was so thanks for the suggestion =). Plus it allows me to connect the TV too in this position. I guess my next attempt would be an Isolation cabinet in place of what I have.
post #24 of 45 Old 05-16-2014, 07:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked: 93
Quote:

I've moved the turntable, kept the foam and put it inside the cabinet. I've also removed the blanket. It's not perfect but better than it was so thanks for the suggestion =). Plus it allows me to connect the TV too in this position. I guess my next attempt would be an Isolation cabinet in place of what I have.
I would think some of this may be your foam being too stiff? The TT is not very heavy so it would tend to transfer the floor movement.
The outside wall suggestion works as that wall sits on a solid foundation. Your inside wall may or may not be sitting on a solid foundation wall especially if you have raised floors so it too will have movements in it transferred to the TT.
May want to find some very soft foam but thick enough that the TT will not sink into it and contact the shelf or compress the foam so it is in essence becomes hard and transfer that vibrations.
post #25 of 45 Old 05-16-2014, 08:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Liked: 741
Quote:

Or has anyone tried these on a record player: http://www.amazon.com/Sorbothane-Hemisphere-Non-Skid-Adhesive-Durometer/dp/B003IMODW8/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top

As a matter of fact I recently tried those as a heavy footstep (mine) near the tt caused a skip so thought I'd put them to the test....total failure, these things made it much worse. Much worse. Plus hard due to shape and the stock feet on a Technics SL1200mkII to get it aligned properly (i.e. each foot staying in line with the sorbothane thingy), but even once aligned properly still much more sensitive to floor vibration. Kinda disappointed as the sorbothane stuff is actually supposed to work....now I just checked the ad details from your link and I swear when I bought it I swear the ad copy said a weight of 17-24 lbs, now it says 17-24 lbs per foot so maybe just not a match. I guess I need a much heavier tt....

post #26 of 45 Old 05-17-2014, 12:45 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlesJ View Post

I would think some of this may be your foam being too stiff? The TT is not very heavy so it would tend to transfer the floor movement.
The outside wall suggestion works as that wall sits on a solid foundation. Your inside wall may or may not be sitting on a solid foundation wall especially if you have raised floors so it too will have movements in it transferred to the TT.
May want to find some very soft foam but thick enough that the TT will not sink into it and contact the shelf or compress the foam so it is in essence becomes hard and transfer that vibrations.

Well the foam is quite soft (not overly), the turntable is also quite heavy (the plate in particular) so it sinks slightly but as i say it needs to be a lot better where it is, further away from floor movement and only really jumps if you fly into the settee and cause the whole floor to wobble!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovinthehd View Post

As a matter of fact I recently tried those as a heavy footstep (mine) near the tt caused a skip so thought I'd put them to the test....total failure, these things made it much worse. Much worse. Plus hard due to shape and the stock feet on a Technics SL1200mkII to get it aligned properly (i.e. each foot staying in line with the sorbothane thingy), but even once aligned properly still much more sensitive to floor vibration. Kinda disappointed as the sorbothane stuff is actually supposed to work....now I just checked the ad details from your link and I swear when I bought it I swear the ad copy said a weight of 17-24 lbs, now it says 17-24 lbs per foot so maybe just not a match. I guess I need a much heavier tt....

Yeah I saw a review on there with someone saying it didnt work for their turntable, plus its pretty expensive stuff...

post #27 of 45 Old 05-17-2014, 08:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked: 24
If sitting on the couch causes your turntable to jump either your floor suspension needs some serious attention or dude, you need to lose weight. There is no good reason a properly balanced turntable should be THAT sensitive.

E.B. White said, "I arise in the morning torn between a desire to improve the world and a desire to enjoy the world. This makes it hard to plan the day."
post #28 of 45 Old 05-17-2014, 08:52 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsmiddleton4 View Post

If sitting on the couch causes your turntable to jump either your floor suspension needs some serious attention or dude, you need to lose weight. There is no good reason a properly balanced turntable should be THAT sensitive.

Lol I definitely don't need to lose weight... I weigh 11 stone and i'm 6ft 2! Nah it only jumps if I PROPER jump on the sofa. Sitting down doesn't. It used to before I moved it to where it is now. To be honest its an old council house, the floor boards aren't going to be great, but as we don't plan to be here forever we can't justify getting the floor sorted.

post #29 of 45 Old 05-17-2014, 09:55 AM - Thread Starter

Ok i might have another reason for the jumping... today I took the cartridge off to clean the stylus and noticed it had snapped, but was still attached. As I went to put it back, it snapped off completely (through no force I should add). So I've ordered a new cartridge :)

post #30 of 45 Old 05-17-2014, 12:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked: 93
Quote:

... To be honest its an old council house, the floor boards aren't going to be great, but as we don't plan to be here forever we can't justify getting the floor sorted.
One more thought on this. I think you have a crawl space under that room and most of the house. Check out how easy it is to get under that room. I would but a beam under the joists and prop it either with a short screw jack on a pier, or two or just 4x4 cripples tightly fit. Not expensive and may be worth it for your duration of stay.
Reply CD Players & Dedicated Music Transports

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page