Music Media Server Help II - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 2 Old 05-10-2014, 08:56 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I hope this is the correct audio section. I don’t exactly know where this thread goes. I've posted this thread in two AVS sections, so if you see this twice, I apologize.

Anyway, I need anyone’s expertise and/or advice. I have a multi-room audio system. I have an Audio Control Director Model 46 system with Lite Touch wall station audio control keypads for the various rooms throughout my home. The music is transmitted through my Yamaha CD Changer (Yamaha CDM-900). In other words, I can control the Yamaha CD Changer from any station control keypad in the house and it will play the CD’s that were loaded in the changer.

As probably every CD person knows, this CD changer has long been discontinued. My Yamaha CD changer abruptly stopped working. This isn't the first time, I’ve always had problems with this CD changer. I’ve been fortunate to find this CD changer on EBay and simply buy another one. I now have four Yamaha CD Changers and none work. This makes no sense. So I’ve finally woken up.

I realize that my music system is outdated and CD’s may soon be obsolete (as you may imagine, I have a lot of CD’s). I really need to upgrade. I’m aware that IPod, MP3 (or MP4), and downloading are the new “In” things. But I have no clue regarding what audio equipment is out there that will hook up and work with by Audio Control Director system. I’m looking for a similar media device but now digital drive based storage. In other words, I’d like to convert my current CD collection into digital drive so to speak. I’m hoping that my current CD collection can be downloaded some kind of way digitally and I can simply plug this new piece of equipment into the input/output jacks I already have set up for the Audio Control Director system to be controllable and playable. I have no clue if this is possible and if so, how to get it done. For your information, I currently have an Apple laptop (Mac) with Maverick OS and I have a wireless network. However, I'm not really looking for an internet PC or Mac connection setup. I’m just looking for a standalone device to play this music via my current music setup. Also I’m not trying to break the bank, but looking for something reasonable that will do the job.

Any help or guidance in this regard is greatly appreciated.

Sincerely,
artcal
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 Old 05-13-2014, 02:18 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 12
The CD part is simple, rip them.
As you are on a Mac, you can use iTunes (set it to Secure mode)

The Director is a different thing.
Connecting any device to it is simple, any box with a normal audio line out will do.
Controlling it will probably a bigger problem, looks likes the audio device it must have a IR.
Can’t advice you on this one as I’m totally unfamiliar with this product.

If you want a simple standalone solution you might have a look at music servers.
Most of them I do think very expensive but there are affordable models e.g. Cocktail audio.
In this scenario, you rip your CDs, transfer them to the music server and this box is hooked up to the Director.

Maybe my website is of use as it covers the basics of using file based audio.
http://thewelltemperedcomputer.com/

Success.
Reply CD Players & Dedicated Music Transports

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page