Surface Pro music server - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 07-04-2014, 08:33 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Surface Pro music server

Using surface pro as a dedicated music server and it actually works pretty well. Currently I have it set up to start up foobar2000 when I hit the power button, bypassing login screen. Also have 1tb HD connected. Control foobar2000 with Android tablet/phone app. Audio is connected to denon 1913 via mini display port to hdmi adapter... Shocked at how good it sounds.

I'm wondering if there are any advanced settings in foobar2000 that would improve Sq even more? I have installed waspi component...besides selecting "event" waspi output to receiver and changing it to 24 bit 192khz. What other advanced settings should I change? Thanks in advance for you help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 07-04-2014, 10:16 AM
FMW
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 436 Post(s)
Liked: 805
Quote:
Originally Posted by malibumike View Post
Using surface pro as a dedicated music server and it actually works pretty well. Currently I have it set up to start up foobar2000 when I hit the power button, bypassing login screen. Also have 1tb HD connected. Control foobar2000 with Android tablet/phone app. Audio is connected to denon 1913 via mini display port to hdmi adapter... Shocked at how good it sounds.

I'm wondering if there are any advanced settings in foobar2000 that would improve Sq even more? I have installed waspi component...besides selecting "event" waspi output to receiver and changing it to 24 bit 192khz. What other advanced settings should I change? Thanks in advance for you help.
No, you can't improve sound quality with software. You can only change it. You need to decide what it is you want to change.
post #3 of 5 Old 07-04-2014, 02:13 PM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by malibumike View Post
There's not really much else you can do with your setup, since by using a decent software media player like Foobar2000 and then configured it to take exclusive control of Windows sound by using WASAPI, you seem to be already providing an unaltered bitstream to the Denon's DAC.

I wouldn't advise hard setting to upsample to 24 bit / 192 kHz, just for the sake of it. So let Foobar2000 simply automatically set the output to exactly match the resolution of the files you are playing back (ie, the default), so long as your AVR's DAC supports those resolutions.

Have you considered network streaming the files from the computer to the Denon AVR 1913, via UPnP/DLNA? This alternative hardware setup may improve the sound quality as it gets the Denton AVR 1913 itself to perform the playback directly, rather than have it shared between the computer and the AVR's DAC, connected by HDMI cable.

So no media player software required on the computer, but instead a UPnP/DLNA media server to provide the music files to the AVR over the network.Use a decent UPnP/DLNA server on the Surface Pro to take care of the music files stored on the 1TB drive, such as the excellent free music only MinimServer, available here:
http://minimserver.com/features.html

Also, playback control can still be done with an Android tablet/phone, via a decent UPnP/DLNA controller app, such as BubbleUPnP. The Denon may even come with its own controller app.

Last edited by Cebolla; 07-04-2014 at 10:15 PM.
post #4 of 5 Old 07-05-2014, 01:15 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Thank you Cebolla. I will definitely make that setting change.

It's funny you mention upnp & bubblepop. That was actually the first thing I tried using a wdtv live as a renderer. It didn't sound all that great, but I didn't actually try it directly to the receiver. I'll give that a shot. My major concern about that is the ease of scrolling through digital collection... It seemed a bit clunky, but could be the wdtv's fault. Foobar2000 is surprisingly fluid, that's the only reason I've been using it.

Thanks a lot for your feedback. I will absolutely give Dlna another shot.
post #5 of 5 Old 07-10-2014, 07:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Are you only able to play PCM or DSD as well? Are you able to play multi-channel files or only stereo? From what I can remember, DLNA cannot deal with .iso, .dsf or .dff files like foobar2000 can. It can also not play multi-channel files.
Reply CD Players & Dedicated Music Transports