Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 07-18-2014, 03:29 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Play music via USB on old CD player

Hi guys,

I'm new to the forums, and quite a newbie with sound system, so please bear with my noobness

I have a really old (decade-old?) Sony stereo shelf system that has these kind of connectors for the speakers: (I dont know what theyre called)

The problem with my old stereo system is that it has no USB plug; only plays music from CD, or AM/FM. I noticed that newer stereo shelf systems these days have USB input, but mine doesnt, and I'm hoping to not have to spend $150+ to buy a brand new system when my stereo unit and speakers are still working fine.

Is there a way for me to play music via USB on my existing stereo unit/speakers? Perhaps a unit that takes in USB (or AUX) as audio input and outputs audio through the type of connector my speakers take? Or is my only hope buying a brand new system?

Thanks in advance!

Edit:
Some other information that may be useful:
My speakers are rated at 4 ohms (whatever that means).
I also have a Yamaha subwoofer that takes in stereo input and stereo output (connectors same as pictured). So my system is wired as following: cd player -> sub -> 2 stereo speakers.

Last edited by baekacaek; 07-18-2014 at 03:48 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 07-25-2014, 03:53 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
The Logitech Squeezebox classic does what you want more. The Pioneer N-30 also gets the job done and more, but is not cost effective. Your best and cheapest bet is to buy a used mp3 player or phone and use it as your usb storage device and connect it to your stereo via 3.5mm to rca cables

You could also just upgrade your unit by buying my TEAC AG-H380 mini stereo receiver since it has a USB input...
TEAC AG-H380 Mini HiFi Stereo
post #3 of 5 Old 07-25-2014, 08:06 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 38
If those are the only connectors on the back of your shelf system, then no... you cannot use those to connect a new source to the system. You need a separate set of "RCA" inputs (or digital inputs). Without one of those inputs, a streaming player like the Logitech Squeezebox won't work. I suppose you could use an old "cassette" adapter or FM transmitter, but... yuck. Those will yield poor quality.

You might be able to re-use the speakers with a new amp/receiver, but it'll cost more than your $150 budget to get something with a USB input.

[Someone posted this same question a month or two back. Was that you? Unfortunately the answer hasn't changed since then... ]
post #4 of 5 Old 07-25-2014, 08:30 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 31
This lepai amp with usb, hooked up to the speakers, would do what you want, but playback function is limited because it does not have a display. They work great with MP3 players, which may be your best approach. I use Lepai amp (without usb) with some pretty decent size speakers for my computer sound. Much much better than typical computer speaker systems.
post #5 of 5 Old 07-25-2014, 09:42 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 38
The Lepai is an interesting option. But there's a reason that it's so cheap -- low build quality and low power (the 15W power rating is over-stated). Also, I believe the USB input is limited to being used with a USB flash drive. So forget trying to use it as a USB DAC with your PC. But you could use a separate USB DAC (which will cost more than the Lepai), and feed it's output into the Lepai.
Reply CD Players & Dedicated Music Transports

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page