AVS Forum banner

Inexpensive good sounding cd player? (under $100)

10K views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  Chevyguy1969 
#1 ·
I am looking to buy an inexpensive but good sounding cd player. I have read that the DAC’s in most modern cd players sound very similar regardless of price. I would like to spend under $100, and I don’t mind buying a second hand unit, or a dvd player.

Also, I do not have a digital input on my receiver, so I will have to use the analog outputs from the cd player.

Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated!!

#4 ·
OP states that he is going to use the analog outs. Not many budget players have a good analog section at all. They are all pretty good using HDMI or SPDIF.
I'm afraid his options are close to nil at that price range. Perhaps an older unit like a Pioneer 610 for a bit more.

#8 ·
Did you ever find a budget player? If so, what did you pick up? Just to let you know, in addition to Craigslist, make a point to stop in to your local thrift stores, Goodwill, Salvation Army, and pawn shops. Good gear makes its way to all of these places and I was in the same boat a few months ago, looking for a DVD player or nice CD player. There is a Salvation Army store down the street from my office so I swung by on my way home. To my surprise there was a Denon DVD-1600 player sitting on its side on a shelf. As I moved it I could tell a disc was floating around in it. I plugged it in, it powered on, and the drawer worked. It was priced at $9.99 and being a Tuesday it was another 20% off for I walked out with for like $8. Got it home, opened it up to get the disc out, and it has been working perfectly ever since.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.