Inexpensive good sounding cd player? (under $100) - AVS Forum

AVS Forum > Audio > CD Players & Dedicated Music Transports > Inexpensive good sounding cd player? (under $100)

CD Players & Dedicated Music Transports

sdl2282's Avatar sdl2282
12:03 AM Liked: 10
post #1 of 8
08-01-2014 | Posts: 25
I am looking to buy an inexpensive but good sounding cd player. I have read that the DAC’s in most modern cd players sound very similar regardless of price. I would like to spend under $100, and I don’t mind buying a second hand unit, or a dvd player.

Also, I do not have a digital input on my receiver, so I will have to use the analog outputs from the cd player.

Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated!!
67jason's Avatar 67jason
12:18 AM Liked: 794
post #2 of 8
08-01-2014 | Posts: 2,906
this is a good option:

http://www.accessories4less.com/make...changer/1.html

alternatively, just run down to your local big box or wally world and pick up what ever dvd player is on special.

if you are anywhere near the SF Bay Area, I'll sell you a pioneer 25 disc player for $25.
FMW's Avatar FMW
07:53 AM Liked: 830
post #3 of 8
08-03-2014 | Posts: 5,328
Any low end Blu Ray player will play CD's and video discs as well. There are some decent low end players from virtually all the major manufacturers.
bradman's Avatar bradman
05:40 PM Liked: 15
post #4 of 8
08-03-2014 | Posts: 391
OP states that he is going to use the analog outs. Not many budget players have a good analog section at all. They are all pretty good using HDMI or SPDIF.
I'm afraid his options are close to nil at that price range. Perhaps an older unit like a Pioneer 610 for a bit more.
FMW's Avatar FMW
07:20 AM Liked: 830
post #5 of 8
08-04-2014 | Posts: 5,328
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradman View Post
OP states that he is going to use the analog outs. Not many budget players have a good analog section at all. They are all pretty good using HDMI or SPDIF.
I'm afraid his options are close to nil at that price range. Perhaps an older unit like a Pioneer 610 for a bit more.
Excellent point. An external DAC would take him over the budget. He needs to be looking for used gear, I'm afraid.
sdl2282's Avatar sdl2282
06:11 PM Liked: 10
post #6 of 8
08-06-2014 | Posts: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradman View Post
Thanks for the input.
A used cd player with a good analog section is probably my best bet.

Currently there is a used Denon DVD-1600 on craigslist where I live for under $100, do you think the analog output section of this unit is comparable to a higher end cd player?
bradman's Avatar bradman
09:20 PM Liked: 15
post #7 of 8
08-06-2014 | Posts: 391
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdl2282 View Post
Thanks for the input.
A used cd player with a good analog section is probably my best bet.

Currently there is a used Denon DVD-1600 on craigslist where I live for under $100, do you think the analog output section of this unit is comparable to a higher end cd player?
I don't know how high-end it may be but that analog section, which carries high-res 5.1, is going to be a lot better than current budget players.

Here's the bench test goodness;http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/volum...02-part-2.html
Chevyguy1969's Avatar Chevyguy1969
08:48 PM Liked: 10
post #8 of 8
11-29-2014 | Posts: 7
Did you ever find a budget player? If so, what did you pick up? Just to let you know, in addition to Craigslist, make a point to stop in to your local thrift stores, Goodwill, Salvation Army, and pawn shops. Good gear makes its way to all of these places and I was in the same boat a few months ago, looking for a DVD player or nice CD player. There is a Salvation Army store down the street from my office so I swung by on my way home. To my surprise there was a Denon DVD-1600 player sitting on its side on a shelf. As I moved it I could tell a disc was floating around in it. I plugged it in, it powered on, and the drawer worked. It was priced at $9.99 and being a Tuesday it was another 20% off for I walked out with for like $8. Got it home, opened it up to get the disc out, and it has been working perfectly ever since.
Reply CD Players & Dedicated Music Transports

Subscribe to this Thread