1Likes
  • 1 Post By mister_xenomorph

post #1 of 5 Old 08-06-2014, 12:42 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Looking for advice on purchasing turntable and necessary hardware

I'm wanting to get into listening to vinyl records, but I have no knowledge on what makes a turntable good, nor do I really know what additional hardware I'll need to utilize a turntable. I've done a little bit of research, and I've generally gotten two different opinions: 1) vintage turntables are overall superior to modern ones, and 2) that statement is complete malarkey. I'd honestly rather believe the second opinion since vintage turntables seem quite a bit harder to come by, but I don't know what to believe since, well, I have no knowledge with this stuff.

I really want to buy used since I'm guessing the total cost would be too pricey for me if I bought everything new (and I'll need *everything,* even speakers). I would prefer the expenses to stay below $300. I probably won't use the system too heavily, so I'd imagine $300 is a decent budget.

My request at this point is that I get some advice on what brands of turntables I should be searching for (and maybe I could get some assistance in the searching) as well as advice for the additional hardware.

Any and all assistance is appreciated!

P.S. I assume for turntables this forum is the correct one to post in... if not, I apologize. :P
Divergent9999 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 08-06-2014, 12:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 123 Post(s)
Liked: 324
$300 for a whole system, including turntable? In that case, new is out of the question. But buying a used turntable is a very dodgy business for someone who admits to knowing nothing about them. I suggest you rethink this.

If you can't explain how it works, you can't say it doesn't.—The High-End Creed

post #3 of 5 Old 08-06-2014, 09:21 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcnarus View Post
$300 for a whole system, including turntable? In that case, new is out of the question. But buying a used turntable is a very dodgy business for someone who admits to knowing nothing about them. I suggest you rethink this.
Are you saying that a $300 system isn't doable? And I'm definitely not expecting it to be a breeze. I'd be doing this in part to learn about the hardware.
post #4 of 5 Old 08-07-2014, 09:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 123 Post(s)
Liked: 324
I said a $300 new system wasn't possible. For $300 on Craiglist, you can get a full system. But if you don't know what you're looking for, that's a risky way to go.

Take just the turntable. For a few hundred bucks, you can buy a new table that comes completely with a cartridge (and even a phono preamp), already properly set up. If you buy a turntable used, you will likely have to replace the cartridge with something new. Do you know how to do that? It's not rocket science, but it's not trivial, either.

Old amplifiers can have their problems, too. Speakers can need refoaming. Buying used is a dicey proposition. It's great if you want to make a hobby of audio diagnostics and repair. But do you?

If you can't explain how it works, you can't say it doesn't.—The High-End Creed

post #5 of 5 Old 10-29-2014, 05:00 PM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 2
The AT-LP120 or U-Turn Orbit are probably the cheapest tables you should be looking at. If you can save a little more the Pro-Ject Carbon is a really great entry level table that will give you a taste of what high quality audio is all about. Stay away from Crosley junk or any other cheap plastic all-in-one tables without a counterweight. You WILL ruin your records on those.
Reply CD Players & Dedicated Music Transports

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page