• 1 Post By audio4life
  • 1 Post By audio4life

post #1 of 15 Old 08-25-2014, 06:04 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Oppo GDP-105 vs. marantz sa-11s3

I plan on using this just for standard cd's not blurry. Which would perform better? I'd assume the marantz, but every review I read praises the oppo for it's musical ability. Btw, don't take price into account, assume they are the same price, which they're not. Just looking for a few honest opinions on which would perform better regardless of price.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 08-26-2014, 12:38 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 45
Since the Marantz is a dedicated CD/SACD player, one would assume that it would be better than a jack-of-all-trades player. I know I prefer my Sony 5400 ES CD/SACD player over my Oppo 105. It's more detailed and open sounding to my ears.

DALI Epicon 2 front speakers; DALI Epicon Vokal center speaker; Definitive Technology ProMonitor 1000 surrounds; SVS SB 13 Ultra subwoofer; Marantz AV 8801 pre/pro; Parasound Halo A51 power amp; Esoteric K-03 SACD player; Oppo BDP 105 SACD/Blu-ray player; Sennheiser HD 800 headphones; Woo Audio WA6 headphone amp.
post #3 of 15 Old 08-26-2014, 12:43 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 14
For standard CD's my vote goes to the Marantz. Your comparing a $4000 CD/SACD player vs a $1200 universal disc player.

Cheers from the Great White North.
My gear: ANTHEM AVM50v, STATEMENT A5 - ARCAM DV139, CD17 - PANASONIC 65VT30 (THX Calibrated) - SONY BDP-S5000ES - PANAMAX 5500EX - M&K V1250THX sub - TANNOY EYRIS DC3, DCC, DC1 - AUDIOQUEST Cables - SHUNYATA RESEARCH Power cords - HARMONY One - PRIMACOUSTIC Recoil Stabilizers
post #4 of 15 Old 08-26-2014, 12:49 PM
FMW
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 371 Post(s)
Liked: 765
It depends on what you want. If you are concerned about sound and picture quality, there shouldn't be any difference. If it is a matter of presige or bragging rights, I'll leave that to you.
post #5 of 15 Old 08-26-2014, 01:37 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by FMW View Post
It depends on what you want. If you are concerned about sound and picture quality, there shouldn't be any difference. If it is a matter of presige or bragging rights, I'll leave that to you.
Ummm...the Marantz doesn't do video, and there most certainly is a sound difference between different units via analog connections.
Cerumen and acuity like this.

DALI Epicon 2 front speakers; DALI Epicon Vokal center speaker; Definitive Technology ProMonitor 1000 surrounds; SVS SB 13 Ultra subwoofer; Marantz AV 8801 pre/pro; Parasound Halo A51 power amp; Esoteric K-03 SACD player; Oppo BDP 105 SACD/Blu-ray player; Sennheiser HD 800 headphones; Woo Audio WA6 headphone amp.
post #6 of 15 Old 08-30-2014, 09:28 AM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 147
Quote:
Originally Posted by FMW View Post
Yeah, I was going to say, looks like someone didn't bother to even read the thread before making broad assumptions about "picture quality". That's okay FMW, I'm sure you meant well.
Cerumen and acuity like this.
post #7 of 15 Old 09-03-2014, 08:30 PM - Thread Starter

Ok, I think I'm ready to move on the marantz then. It's gotten solid reviews of its own, I think I just hesitated due to different dac chips handling the conversion & marantz is using a burr brown setup as opposed to the shark 32 a lot of products including the oppo are offering.
post #8 of 15 Old 09-04-2014, 06:35 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 754 Post(s)
Liked: 1167
Quote:
Originally Posted by kenlee View Post
Ok, I think I'm ready to move on the marantz then. It's gotten solid reviews of its own, I think I just hesitated due to different dac chips handling the conversion & marantz is using a burr brown setup as opposed to the shark 32 a lot of products including the oppo are offering.
Both Burr Brown and Analog Devices (maker of SHARC DSPs) make enough different DACs and DSPs that just dropping their brand names is pretty much meaningless.

It appears that this is all about bragging rights, so as friend I need to tell you that trying to compare DACs (Burr Brown) to DSPs (SHARC chips) is some kind of a technical faux pas. They are apples and oranges.

On balance, most modern quality DACs and DSPs are vast overkill SQ-wise so as a practical matter it is meaningless to try to describe them more accurately. But technical faux pas are total buzz kill for that bragging rights thing you seem to be trying to get going. ;-)
post #9 of 15 Old 09-04-2014, 06:43 PM

As usual, Arnie forgets about the rest of the story, the DAC chip is only a piece of the whole puzzle.

I'd concur on the Marantz, don't let the subtle dig concerning 'bragging rights' concern you. The science crowd on this forum have repeatedly said any cheap blu ray player is all you need for a dedicated music player, so one has to consider the body of evidence before accepting their word here.
acuity likes this.
post #10 of 15 Old 09-04-2014, 06:57 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 754 Post(s)
Liked: 1167
Quote:
Originally Posted by audio4life View Post
As usual, Arnie forgets about the rest of the story, the DAC chip is only a piece of the whole puzzle.
As a practical matter obsessing over power supplies and buffer circuits is for naive audiophiles.

Quote:
I'd concur on the Marantz, don't let the subtle dig concerning 'bragging rights' concern you. The science crowd on this forum have repeatedly said any cheap blu ray player is all you need for a dedicated music player, so one has to consider the body of evidence before accepting their word here.
It is fitting and proper to ignore the portions of the so-called "body of evidence": that are based on sighted evaluations due to their overwhelming propensity for false positives.
post #11 of 15 Old 09-04-2014, 10:04 PM

I know, I know arnie, they all sound the same. Hey, I saw a Magnavox dvd player for sale today, 39.99. You want I should pick one up for you? Just message me your address and I'll make sure it gets to you!
acuity likes this.
post #12 of 15 Old 09-04-2014, 10:26 PM

Quoted: 147 Post(s)
Liked: 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by audio4life View Post
I know, I know
Good to know that you do. What about the quote below? Do you know what that means?
Quote:
Originally Posted by koturban View Post
a bias-controlled listening test
post #13 of 15 Old 09-13-2014, 12:22 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
My dedicated cd player (audioaero capitol cd player mkii), CLEARLY outperforms my oppo bdp105d.... The oppo is a great machine for movies and concerts, but for 2 channel stereo, ptobably better a dedicated player...
post #14 of 15 Old 09-15-2014, 10:43 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by arnyk View Post
As a practical matter obsessing over power supplies and buffer circuits is for naive audiophiles.

It is fitting and proper to ignore the portions of the so-called "body of evidence": that are based on sighted evaluations due to their overwhelming propensity for false positives.
Wait, what?
post #15 of 15 Old 09-15-2014, 10:48 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsandovalb View Post
My dedicated cd player (audioaero capitol cd player mkii), CLEARLY outperforms my oppo bdp105d.... The oppo is a great machine for movies and concerts, but for 2 channel stereo, ptobably better a dedicated player...
Thank you for that sir. About two years ago I auditioned 2 different cd payers...a rotel cdp that was around $1000.00 that I was already sold on and a Cary tube based player of some sort. I didn't ask which I was listening to, but it became apparently evident. At that time I simply couldn't afford the $3,000+ the dealer was asking for the Cary.
Reply CD Players & Dedicated Music Transports

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page