My Discwasher has collapsed. Can I save it? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 08-31-2014, 06:13 PM - Thread Starter
dgk

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
My Discwasher has collapsed. Can I save it?

I have this 40 year old Discwasher that came with a little red bottle of record cleaner solution. It's a sturdy wooden handle with a (sort of) felt pad that cleans records nicely, I'm sure many of you have or had one. But whatever foam padding was used to keep the pad against the record has worn out and the pad sags on the wood now and I don't want to rub that on my records.

My cousin just moved and gave me one of his that was better but clearly he hasn't used it recently because after a few uses it started collapsing as well. The warranty must have expired.

I figured that there would be some videos online showing how to replace the foam, but all I get is video on how to fix a dishwasher. Useful but not interchangeable.

Does anyone know how to fix my poor Discwashers?

Last edited by dgk; 08-31-2014 at 06:14 PM. Reason: To many line feeds
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 08-31-2014, 09:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 20
post #3 of 4 Old 09-01-2014, 05:45 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 851 Post(s)
Liked: 1214
Quote:
Originally Posted by dgk View Post
I have this 40 year old Discwasher that came with a little red bottle of record cleaner solution. It's a sturdy wooden handle with a (sort of) felt pad that cleans records nicely, I'm sure many of you have or had one. But whatever foam padding was used to keep the pad against the record has worn out and the pad sags on the wood now and I don't want to rub that on my records.

My cousin just moved and gave me one of his that was better but clearly he hasn't used it recently because after a few uses it started collapsing as well. The warranty must have expired.

I figured that there would be some videos online showing how to replace the foam, but all I get is video on how to fix a dishwasher. Useful but not interchangeable.

Does anyone know how to fix my poor Discwashers?
(1) total replace with new competitive product

(2) Disassemble, wash the fabric thoroughly, replace the foam, reassemble.
post #4 of 4 Old 09-02-2014, 06:11 PM - Thread Starter
dgk

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I already have a replacement, the Stanton, but I really like the Discwasher better than anything out there now. And if you read the reviews on the new Discwasher - universally hated - you'll see that almost everyone likes the old one best.

So I was hoping that someone knew the best way to take it apart and get new foam in there. It isn't obvious how it should be disassembled so perhaps someone has done it and will share their findings. Otherwise I'll prepare a sterile operating room and start poking one of them with a sharp stick.

Perhaps I'll shoot a video, and when folks try to figure out how to fix their dishwasher, they'll find my video instead. It's only fair.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply CD Players & Dedicated Music Transports

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page