AVS Forum banner

Best upgrade? Dual Subwoofer vs Separate Amplifer vs High end CD/Bluray player

979 views 10 replies 8 participants last post by  thehun 
#1 ·
First off, let me thank everyone that contributes to this forum, I have learned so much from the people that post in here.

My setup:
Paradigm Studio 100 v.5 for mains
Paradigm Studio CC-690 for center channel (on order, to be here soon!)
Klipsh RF-82 for rear surrounds
Paradigm Studio Sub 12 Subwoofer
Denon 3808CI AVR

What upgrade would make the most dramatic improvement in sound quality? Dual Subwoofer vs Separate Amplifer vs High end CD/Bluray player?

Obviously, this is a home theater setup, but for the purpose of this question, my main focus is music playback quality. The Paradigms are a recent upgrade and I am looking to get the most from them. The Paradigms sound great, the bass has a great sound, nice and tight, but not quite punchy enough for me. I am thinking that adding a second subwoofer will give me what I am looking for but wanted to run my thoughts by the experts in this group to make sure I am getting this right.

The Denon 3808CI has 130 watts per channel, it seems to drive the Studio 100s sufficiently, I have not noticed any distortion or clipping. So although I could add a separate amp and may see some benefit in sound quality, I don't think it will add the bass punch I am looking for.

I am currently listening to music through either my PS3 for MP3 or a Sony BDP-S350 for CD playback. I think the CDs sound a little better through the BDP-S350, but that could be a misconception. They are both connected digitally through an HDMI cable. So, as I understand this, if the player is connected digitally, the decoding is being performed by my AVR. I did some checking, and I think it looks like the Denon has some decent DACs, so I think I am getting pretty good quality there. However, if I understand this correctly, if I were to purchase a high end CD player or Blu Ray player (such as the OPPO-105) and connected it to my AVR through analog connections, the player would be doing the decoding and I may actually see some benefit there.

But considering what I am looking for is to punch up the bass a bit, I think the best upgrade would be adding a second sub? This would add more punch and even out the bass distribution throughout the room more evenly.

What do you think?

See less See more
#6 ·
One of the biggest influences on bass (possibly the biggest) is your room. Having 2 subs helps deal with that. Beyond that, you need to look at treating the room.

Reactions: acebreathe
#7 · (Edited)
For audio... monobkocks all the way. You'll never look back if done with quality.

Integrated amplifiers are a compromise at best.

Dual subwoofers are a equalizer for odd or bad room modes, I'd rather have higher quality primary sound than adding a second -50/60hz impact as a point to"what is a better way to spend my money.

Then again I am Heritage and not reference.

#9 ·
Listen if you can, and purchase the option that makes the most satisfying difference to you.

IMHO the separate amp and high end audio player will make sonic differences, but compared to the difference dual subs can make they may or may not be audible in your system.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.