AVS Forum banner

CD player for Magnavox console

619 views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  FMW 
#1 ·
If this is the wrong forum for this please accept my apology and redirect me. My wife is very fond of her old Magnavox Astro Sonic stereo console. It is the long low walnut model. Neither of us are really audiophiles, but we love to listen to music of our youth, the 20's, 30's and 40's. We now have the music on CDs rather than vinyl because it is much more convenient. I have figured out a satisfactory way to use the cabinet for storage of hundreds of CDs, but replacing the turntable and radio with a convenient CD reader is more complicated than I had anticipated. I know that power levels and impedance matching are important considerations, for using the console's speakers, and maybe even its amplifier, but I have no idea if it is practical to try to do so. Also, the fact that CD players normally load from the front with the CD horizontal may present a problem. Will a CD player that is intended for horizontal use function properly if it is mounted vertically? Surely this inquiry will at least be good for a good laugh. :)

#2 ·
Welcome aboard. I'm a youngster of only 70 years but I like the music of my father's generation as well, particularly dixieland jazz. I think you will have to do some more surgery on the unit. The built in receiver won't do for a line level signal. It is designed for the record player. If you can remove it and replace it with a modern receiver then connecting the speakers you have will do fine. If you don't need the tuner/radio then driving the speakers would be pretty simple. This unit will work just fine:

I don't think a traditional CD or blu-ray player will operate properly in a vertical position. You can put portable CD player in your search engine and come up with a host of affordable options that won't take up much more space than the little amplifier above. They basically clamp the disc securely unlike the table top models.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.