AVS Forum banner

Playing digital music questions ...

624 views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  John Sully 
#1 · (Edited)
I hope in the right area for these questions :)

I've been playing my digital music (on a flash drive) thru my USB port on my Marantz SR5007 for the past few months, instead of through my Apple TV/iTunes wireless connection ... I figure that it's a more direct way to go from source to speakers, plus it's an easier process (not having to turn on the TV, not having to navigate thru the Apple TV, etc.).
I have both WAV files and 256 kbps files on the flash drive.

Question #1 ... I've generally had "file format error" appear on my initial attempt to play music, but then (with "RANDOM" mode engaged) the next track will play and things seem to proceed well.
However, a few days ago, the AVR would not play any music at one point ... I tried my other flash drive, but it wouldn't play either.

I then put the flash drive into my UD5007 Blu-ray player and things worked well.

Marantz customer service advised me yesterday that "file format error" indicated that I may have had the wrong format on the flash drive and that it needed to be the FAT32 format ... it turns out though that, after looking into it, that the format was (MS-DOS) FAT32.

The process I use to put the music files onto the flash drive is: I insert the flash drive into the USB port of my Mac Mini, find it on Finder, call up my iTunes, and then drag a playlist onto the Finder window.

Might the problem be that the WAV (1411kbps) files and the regular iTunes tracks (256 kbps) are incompatible on the flash drive?

(MS-DOS) FAT32 appears to be the default format on my Mac.

Question #2 ... is there a component out there that I can connect to the AVR that can store and play all my digital music, possibly playing only certain music at one time (similar to a playlist) ... my son indicated that this (playing only certain content - not everything randomly) might be possible on the flash drive.

Might there be component that transports the digital music to the AVR without a DAC and other features that would hike up the price (I want to think that the SR5007's DAC would be sufficient for my needs ... although I'm sure it's not the be all-end all in DACs). I've already spent around $7,000 over the past 2 years de-Boseifying my two systems :)

Question #3 ... is either the flash drive or a dedicated component a better means to transport the digital music content, and specifically more accurate than a wireless route via my Apple TV?

P.S... I have a HRT Music Streamer 2 DAC that I'm not using at the moment ... is it worth involving it in this conversation a part of a solution?
How would it compare to the SR5007's DAC?

Thank you in advance for any opinions and direction you all might share with me :)

See less See more
#2 ·
Well, since it appears to have a network input, I would hook it up to my network and then use AirPlay from my computer. Another alternative, and the one I use (I also use the AirPlay option from time to time) is to store my music on a NAS running a DLNA server and use the DLNA features of the receiver to play music. This allows me to share my music collection with the Dish Hopper in my bedroom so that I can play music in there also. Works great.

Reactions: TomC1315
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.