AVS Forum banner

Just about all media players are incompetent

411 views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  blazar 
#1 ·
Obvious missing features for consideration for developers of music interfaces:

Except for a few such examples such as JRivers (a windows based program) and windows media player (somewhat works) most programs such as itunes, meridian, sonos, whatever are missing some major organizational features that I will outline

The fact that LITERAL DECADES are passing now with most media players not correcting this problem is a sign of pure incompetence on the part of developers.

Please repost links to this on EVERY DEVELOPER WEBSITE YOU CAN POSSIBLY IMAGINE!

1. Multi-artist delimited (separated by a mark such as ; ) marks to allow organizing the "artist" section of a media app while accounting for multi artist tracks by the first letter of the name of each artist on the track. The current algorithms favor the first name of the first artist even if it is duo or trio of artists without a primary artists. The "various" artist section is reasonable but not sufficient.

2. Multi-genre tags delimited (separated by mark such as ; ). We should be able to tag a song "Soundtrack & Pop" so that it shows an instance of the same song in two different genres. The current behavior of itunes and most other programs is to make a NEW genre called "Soundtrack & Pop". Do these developers simply not have a BRAIN? Are software programmers mostly not in possession of complex music libraries. International audiences such as those that listen to "bollywood" music would not be able to navigate an itunes store well without these adjustments.

The user experience of itunes when it comes to these organizational issues is terrible. On top of that, most itunes compatible hardware copies this EXACT SAME EXPERIENCE!!! There is no reason that at least an & delimiting option could not be added in the media player hardware. This does not take some sort of rocket scientist.

Even better would be for itunes (the largest music marketplace) to change its tagging library and practice to reflect the way people actually organize music while providing proper respect to artists.

I have posted this in this same basic information in the "Apple Community" website and it will pop up in a google search. Apple has ignored this concept entirely. Not even a reply over why it can't be done. The itunes developers are asleep at the swtich.

See less See more
#3 ·
It is a fact that iOS 6 Music player was a hell of a lot better than the one in iOS 7 & 8.

In iOS 6 you could organize (very difficult) your music library so it can work as Genre -> Artist -> Album -> Songs
In iOS 7/8 you can't do that, using the same tags as on iOS 6 you get Genre -> Artist -> Songs (all albums in one place with no particular order)

I've asked Apple when iOS 7 got released, why did they screwed this - no adequate answer. I've asked the same when iOS 8 got released - still no adequate answer. Their developers are just as stupid as Microsoft's devs.

#6 · (Edited)
Itunes app developers are basically simply idiots at this point. No messages left on the community forums or to their customer service hotline are answered by any actual developers.

Apple needs to worry less about gay rights and more about fixing their software to work for people that love music. They are "discriminating" against cultures in which more than one artist per song is normal. "Album Artist" should not even need to exist if multi-artist tagging worked the way it should.

I would be happy to speak with developers and walk them through building a "perfect system" that would benefit those that love not only multi-artist and multi-genre paradigms, but also various languages and classical music organization.

I am a substantial apple shareholder and I get the sense that Apple is asleep at the switch in the AV department. Apple TV has a pile of usability issues as well a lack of an IP control interface. Buying beats headphones does not get you any credibility. Spend 3 billion for a headphones company but fail to solve the simple problems I have outlined?

#5 ·
Yes media monkey is an example of how multi-artists and multi-genre are organized correctly. J rivers more or less has done the same thing.

There is currently NO hardware offering that is "itunes" or "ipod" compatible that manages to get this right.

I told he Meridien customer service that there is no way in the universe I am buying their product without these corrections.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.