AVS Forum banner

Ideas to input analog signal from laptop into receiver

314 views 0 replies 1 participant last post by  madhuxs 
#1 ·
I have a Sony DA5300ES receiver (120 W/ch) which has a very clean sound to it, but is not working properly. I think one of the digital boards in the preamp section is messed up. Sony is unable to repair it as the parts are no longer available. If you would like to offer advice on what could be wrong and how to fix it, please see the description of the symptoms below.

Anyhow, the power amplification part of the receiver seems to work reliably in analog direct mode and I would like to use it for 2 ch music. All my music (FLAC files and Spotify HD) comes from my old Dell laptop (Inspiron e1505). Since I can no longer reliably input digital audio signals into the receiver, I am using a Y audio cable with the computer volume set at full. Are there other inexpensive ways to input a CLEAN analog signal into my receiver? Also how good is the quality of DAC via a/my computer?

Description of the problem:
Outputs sound in ANALOG DIRECT sound field, but outputs only occasionally in any of the (digitally) adjusted sound fields (example: stereo, A.F.D.). Speaker icons disappear from the display when the output drops. When this problem occurs, it will output in DIRECT mode only if the input source is analog (example: FM radio, tape/CD line in), but will not output digital sources (example: digital coaxial, optical or HDMI). When cold and powered on, (usually) the receiver will work fine in the digital sound fields for about 5 minutes before it drops the sound output; occasionally it will work for longer periods (~30 minutes).

See less See more
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.