Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 12-07-2014, 07:38 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Question Pioneer PLX-1000

Hello .

I have some questions about this turntable. I've ordered the turntable itself and I'm expecting it to arrive in the next 7 days. As I understand the turntable comes without a cartridge. I want to buy a cartridge, however there is no adequate info anywhere about which cartridges are compatible with this turntable, it just says "Supports Standard Cartridges".

So my questions are:
1. If you can, post a list of supported cartridges, or cartridges that you've tried on this turntable and are working well.
2. Does this turntable support Plug'n'play cartridges or not?
3. Do I need any additional (pre-)amplifier(s), if I get an MM (50mV output) or MC (5mV output) cartridge, before I connect the turntable to my receiver - Denon AVR-4520?

Thank you very much in advance for any responces and ideas .

PS: I'm not sure that the topic is in the right part of the forum, so if it is not, please move it to the correct place. Thank you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 12-09-2014, 08:26 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
So after asking and checking, I've discovered that:
1. the turntable supports pretty much all cartridges as the Technics SL-1200 and derivatives
2. it supports Plug'n'play cartridges
3. I can connect it to the Phono input on my 4520, using a 5mV cartridge, and it should work fine

The simple information about questions 1 and 2 should've been written clearly on the Pioneer's website, I don't know why is it so hard for them to state it like that - it's that simple.
post #3 of 5 Old 12-09-2014, 10:06 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked: 80
There really is no such thing as a "plug-n-play" cartridge, or at least no standard for such things. Some vendors will pre-install a cartridge into a headshell for you and refer to the resulting combination as "plug-n-play", but it's just a cartridge and headshell. I see no reason why Pioneer would mention this in their manual.

post #4 of 5 Old 12-10-2014, 10:14 AM
FMW
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1653 Post(s)
Liked: 1687
Standard means moving magnet MM. Plug and play has no meaning that I've ever heard. Any MM cart should work fine with the turntable. My personal favorites are those made by Grado.
post #5 of 5 Old 12-10-2014, 11:40 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 258 Post(s)
Liked: 206
Any moving magnet (MM) or high output moving coil (MC) cartridge will work. What's your budget for a cartridge? Ortofon makes a good line of MM cartridges with their OM series. At the lower end I'd choose the OM Red, or Blue. High end the Bronze or Black. The Red/Blue share the same body, the difference is in the stylus. Same scenario with the Bronze/Black. So, an owner of a Red cartridge could upgrade to the Blue simply by buying a Blue stylus.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply CD Players & Dedicated Music Transports

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page