AVS Forum banner

iPod Classic now history - Alternatives?...

Tags
ipod
729 views 9 replies 8 participants last post by  hpp8140 
#1 ·
Well the iPod Classic 160gb is now history. Any alternatives with large storage capacity?

#2 ·
I know of two alternatives, neither are cheap.

1. Sony A17 - This supposedly has 64GB internal memory plus a microSD slot for an additional 128GB. This sells for $300 without the microSD.
  2. Pono - same as the Sony, it comes with 64GB internal memory plus microSD slot for an additional 128GB. Price is $400, microSD is extra.
I bought the Pono and am just starting to use it. The jury is out.

#3 ·
Mid priced ($100 - $500) - Offerings from Fiio or iBasso
High priced ($500 - $2000) - Offerings from Hifiman or Astel & Kern

These are probably the 4 major players in portable players, but certainly not the only 4. For research purposes, I'd suggest you head over to head-fi.org and check out their portable players forum.

#4 ·
Whatever you do, don't go over to head-fi.org. You are likely to be sucked into a time sink of 1Tb SSD modifications to your 160Gb iPod. Seriously, I almost bought the pieces right then and there, even though I have a perfectly fine 160Gb iPod. When the drive goes, then I will take the plunge.:)

#6 ·
I was just thinking of selling my Ipod Classic to some chump on Ebay for > $500. Use the money to get a new portable device

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.