AVS Forum banner

Bluesound Vault vs ??????

6K views 12 replies 6 participants last post by  skgolfer 
#1 ·
Hi All

I was considering adding the Bluesound Vault to my system for ripping/storing/streaming..... My question is...at this price point ($1k) are there better options? Thanks.

#2 ·
For an all in one unit, no.

BlueSound has been receiving overall very postive reviews and from what I have seen, has one the best remote interfaces around (i.e. iPad or similar).

However, a BlueSound is not (as far as I know) a subsitute for a NAS, so keep that in mind. In other words, I don't know if a BlueSound music library is available to other devices. The library would be if the vault was fully DLNA compliant. Something to check/consider.

#3 ·
^ x2

Initially, I was going to get the Vault, but I'm trying to move away from mechanical drives in my network. I wound up getting (2) Nodes, and save all my FLAC files on a USB drive, shared on my PC, and pocketed the difference of a Vault and Node. Didn't make sense "to me", to spend an extra $550 for a "drive which could fail", and a CD drive, when I have the same functionality in my existing PC(s). Eventually, I'll get a larger SSD, to connect to one of the Nodes directly

#6 ·
If you have a WiFi router then a streaming device is all you need. Grace digital has some that work quite well. In fact many name brand network streamers license their product. If you don't have a WiFi router then those aren't particularly expensive. You would just need an Ethernet connection somewhere to make it work. Some recievers and blu ray players have them.

#7 ·
Hi FMW, and thanks all for your comments. As I am relatively new to all this, when you suggest that all you need is a streamer if you have a wifi router I am assuming that you are then just using a computer or some other NAS for ripping and storing?

Thanks.

#13 ·
Thanks, I have learned a lot from this forum and my other research on the web. One other device I have come across that seems to provide the same service is the Cocktail Audio x12. Any thoughts on this vs the Bluesound Vault would be appreciated. I know that the storage has to be purchased in addition to the device, but 2T can be had for about $100.

Thanks.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.