Turntable question? - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By crn3371

Old 04-06-2015, 07:53 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Turntable question?

Hi everybody. I'm new to this, so I'd appreciate as much info as you're all willing to give me. I'm purchasing a new turntable, but I'm having a difficult time deciding. Initially I was going to buy a Music Hall Ikura, but was told not a great turntable. So I went back to the research and narrowed it down to a short list, Ikura? Marantz 15S? Thorens 206? VPI Scout with Bronze cartridge and acrylic platter? The VPI is being offered to me for $1800 because it's a store display. Are displays bad? Would any of you audiophiles purchase store displays? I still receive a full warranty. I really need assistance from those of you who know. I'll need a phono stage, because my Harmon Kardon AVR 7000 doesn't have a dedicated phono input. Thanks in advance
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-07-2015, 06:32 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 101 Post(s)
Liked: 65
Happy Ikura user here. Stereophile likes it too.
http://www.stereophile.com/content/m...hono-cartridge
MarineJeff likes this.

Last edited by crn3371; 04-07-2015 at 06:47 AM.
Old 04-08-2015, 11:13 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Turntables and cartridges make slight changes to frequency response, and add a bit of distortion and reverb, type and amount are a matter of taste so its a bit pointless to buy what someone else likes. Get some records of music you like and go listen to some different options.

BTW some kind of serious record cleaning system is essential with vinyl.
Old 04-09-2015, 09:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Liked: 77
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarineJeff View Post
Hi everybody. I'm new to this, so I'd appreciate as much info as you're all willing to give me. I'm purchasing a new turntable, but I'm having a difficult time deciding. Initially I was going to buy a Music Hall Ikura, but was told not a great turntable. So I went back to the research and narrowed it down to a short list, Ikura? Marantz 15S? Thorens 206? VPI Scout with Bronze cartridge and acrylic platter? The VPI is being offered to me for $1800 because it's a store display. Are displays bad? Would any of you audiophiles purchase store displays? I still receive a full warranty. I really need assistance from those of you who know. I'll need a phono stage, because my Harmon Kardon AVR 7000 doesn't have a dedicated phono input. Thanks in advance
Nothing wrong w/a store demo. Plus you are getting the full factory warranty and I would assume it is properly set up being it is a demo and they play it for prospective buyers. Your essentially getting an excellent plug and play TT. I would check out the IFI phono and some of the new Project phonos that have simple dial in gain stages.
Old 04-15-2015, 06:25 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'd go for the VPI. Very well built gear and the factory is responsive to any after sales needs.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement