AVS Forum banner

Thrift store find! Oppo DV 981-HD, minty condition.

584 views 5 replies 6 participants last post by  Montucky 
#1 ·
I was perusing around today and found a near mint Oppo DV 981-HD in our local thrift store. After checking functionality in the store I have returned home and am listening to it right now. I was initially disappointed that there was no factory remote but after calling Oppo customer service I learned that a replacement remote is available for only $8.00 plus shipping. It was promptly ordered.
My sole use for this unit is audio.
Questions:
1. This is my first SACD capable player, other than my Blu-ray player which is in another room. Is this still a current technology and is the small investment in a few disks money well spent?
2. Should I look into DVD-audio instead?
3. Was $9.95 too much too spend for this player? I am kidding about this...

Thanks in advance for the advice! :D

#2 ·
Lucky dog. I'd love to have one of those. Not for audio though. It is a great DVD upscaler for video using the anchor bay chip. My Oppo BDP-83 had the anchor bay chip and dvd never looked better. When I bought the 95 and sold the 83 I was disappointed with dvd upscaling. The 95 is good, but the 83 was fantastic. Having a large DVD collection, I'd love to find a 981.

As far as audio goes, you can do both. The player will do both. I tend to stick to SACD, more titles are available. I do buy high resolution titles from HD tracks and a few other places and can burn them to DVD-audio, which I do kind of as another backup. Try it and see if you like them.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.