Anyone Still Making a Good Portable CD Player? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 4Likes

post #1 of 39 Old 01-04-2016, 08:39 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Anyone Still Making a Good Portable CD Player?

It's been a long time since I had a decent portable CD player, and my most recent one is lost. I ordered a crappy replacement for $27, but I'm wondering if by chance there are still any good ones being made? Perhaps a "boutique" company making any? I would really like one with Resume. Also, I'm looking for a new one - I know a lot of used units are being sold.

I know everything is moving to mp3 players, etc. but since I have thousands of CDs it's often not convenient to first have to rip a CD before listening to it. Like right when I want to go to bed or leave for work, for instance!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 39 Old 01-12-2016, 11:30 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkl2000 View Post
It's been a long time since I had a decent portable CD player, and my most recent one is lost. I ordered a crappy replacement for $27, but I'm wondering if by chance there are still any good ones being made? Perhaps a "boutique" company making any? I would really like one with Resume. Also, I'm looking for a new one - I know a lot of used units are being sold.

I know everything is moving to mp3 players, etc. but since I have thousands of CDs it's often not convenient to first have to rip a CD before listening to it. Like right when I want to go to bed or leave for work, for instance!
I'm definitely interested in this, too. I've always listened to music on a portable CD player, because I always bought CDS and, frankly, still like buying them. I don't have a full-size CD player right now outside of my video game systems, and they don't have headphone jacks as far as I can tell.

Is there even much of a difference between different types of portable CD players? These are tough questions to find the answers to online honestly. Definitely subscribing to this thread, though, and glad someone else out there is like me!
post #3 of 39 Old 01-23-2016, 03:20 PM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 5
What I found for CD players, portable

Quote:
Originally Posted by vladimir777 View Post
I'm definitely interested in this, too. I've always listened to music on a portable CD player, because I always bought CDS and, frankly, still like buying them. I don't have a full-size CD player right now outside of my video game systems, and they don't have headphone jacks as far as I can tell.

Is there even much of a difference between different types of portable CD players? These are tough questions to find the answers to online honestly. Definitely subscribing to this thread, though, and glad someone else out there is like me!

Googled and found these:

Sony Walkman D-EJ758CK Personal CD Player by Sony ($986.00)

Sony DEJ011 CD Walkman Portable CD Player ($280.00)

SONY CD Walkman D-NE241/B MP3CDP Portable CD MP3 CD-R/RW Player DNE241 ($863.00)
post #4 of 39 Old 01-26-2016, 09:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tr2420 View Post
Googled and found these:

SONY CD Walkman D-NE241/B MP3CDP Portable CD MP3 CD-R/RW Player DNE241 ($863.00)
Ouch, those are some steep prices.

Maybe my CD player breaking was a good thing.... Maybe this will make me finally rip all of my CDs onto iTunes (or some equivalent), in a lossless format, of course, and then listen to them through my computer, iPhone, or iPad (is this how people listen to CDs these days?). My only problem with that is I can imagine all of my hundreds of CDs would take up a ton of space.

I'm assuming the iOS versions of iTunes support lossless songs, right, and not just the desktop version?

I'm generally curious how people listen to CDs they buy today. I know most don't buy CDs, but some definitely still do.
post #5 of 39 Old 01-27-2016, 02:17 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 3973 Post(s)
Liked: 3880
Quote:
Googled and found these:

That US pricing on new players?

I was curious and was surprised everything came up used or refurb, the first refurb guy looks kinda interesting http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/3213213...chn=ps&lpid=82
post #6 of 39 Old 01-27-2016, 05:03 AM

Other players available

Quote:
Ouch, those are some steep prices.

Maybe my CD player breaking was a good thing.... Maybe this will make me finally rip all of my CDs onto iTunes (or some equivalent), in a lossless format, of course, and then listen to them through my computer, iPhone, or iPad (is this how people listen to CDs these days?). My only problem with that is I can imagine all of my hundreds of CDs would take up a ton of space.

I'm assuming the iOS versions of iTunes support lossless songs, right, and not just the desktop version?

I'm generally curious how people listen to CDs they buy today. I know most don't buy CDs, but some definitely still do.

I've gone from CD player to iPod classic 160gb and now to FiiO X5 for my music player. This player has no internal memory - but - has slots for 2 - 128GB micro cards (256GB od music at a time) I ripped all my CDs to a .flac format and placed them onto 3 of these cards. The sound quality is amazing. With a good set of headphones and the sound adjustments available - I am more than satisfied. It is also quite compact and substantial a unit. The internal battery is rechargeable - so I don't have to carry extra batteries with me. The price is a bit steep though, I paid a bit over $400.00 Cdn. for it + the cards. There are a great many versions of personal music players by a wide variety of companies. The picture I've attached will give you an idea of what the player looks like, the newer model is on the left.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	x5ii-65.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	151.2 KB
ID:	1213602  
lovinthehd likes this.
post #7 of 39 Old 02-01-2016, 11:05 PM

Quote:
I've gone from CD player to iPod classic 160gb and now to FiiO X5 for my music player. This player has no internal memory - but - has slots for 2 - 128GB micro cards (256GB od music at a time) I ripped all my CDs to a .flac format and placed them onto 3 of these cards. The sound quality is amazing. With a good set of headphones and the sound adjustments available - I am more than satisfied. It is also quite compact and substantial a unit. The internal battery is rechargeable - so I don't have to carry extra batteries with me. The price is a bit steep though, I paid a bit over $400.00 Cdn. for it + the cards. There are a great many versions of personal music players by a wide variety of companies. The picture I've attached will give you an idea of what the player looks like, the newer model is on the left.
Thank you for the response! That player looks beautiful.

I wonder if I should just use my iPad or iPhone in the meantime until I get enough money to purchase a dedicated music player? I guess I could always get the newer Apple versions of iPods, too, if I wanted an Apple player totally devoted to music.

I do miss CD players, but it just seems like I probably shouldn't go out and buy a new portable CD player at this point. Maybe one day, when I have a nicer home theater set-up (now I only have an older LED, Vizio soundbar, and Xbox One), I will buy a home CD player to listen to on speakers, but I love listening to headphones.

I guess I should just rip all my CDs onto the Apple lossless format in iTunes and transfer to my iPad/iPhone?
post #8 of 39 Old 02-03-2016, 11:23 AM

rip CDs

Quote:

I wonder if I should just use my iPad or iPhone in the meantime until I get enough money to purchase a dedicated music player? I guess I could always get the newer Apple versions of iPods, too, if I wanted an Apple player totally devoted to music.

I do miss CD players, but it just seems like I probably shouldn't go out and buy a new portable CD player at this point. Maybe one day, when I have a nicer home theater set-up (now I only have an older LED, Vizio soundbar, and Xbox One), I will buy a home CD player to listen to on speakers, but I love listening to headphones.

I guess I should just rip all my CDs onto the Apple lossless format in iTunes and transfer to my iPad/iPhone?

I would also rip them as .wav files to have the original quality and leave your options opened as to the player - in the future.
post #9 of 39 Old 02-03-2016, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Quote:

I would also rip them as .wav files to have the original quality and leave your options opened as to the player - in the future.
Thank you. How is .wav quality different than lossless quality?
post #10 of 39 Old 02-03-2016, 12:30 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 144 Post(s)
Liked: 126
Quote:
Thank you. How is .wav quality different than lossless quality?
Lossless has compression, not much, but its there.....
post #11 of 39 Old 02-03-2016, 01:00 PM

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:
Maybe this will make me finally rip all of my CDs onto iTunes (or some equivalent), in a lossless format, of course, and then listen to them through my computer, iPhone, or iPad (is this how people listen to CDs these days?). My only problem with that is I can imagine all of my hundreds of CDs would take up a ton of space.

If you use iTunes on your main computer you can easily rip them. There is actually a setting in iTunes to rip CDs when you insert them. Yes, I am able to play WAV songs on my iPhone, but it won't play FLAC, you have to use the Apple ALAC if you want to have lossless compressed files.

I recently ripped all 400+ of my CDs in an uncompressed format and it took up less than 300 GBs. It was a chore, but I love being able to point and click to listen to whatever song I want, and transfer the music files very easily to my phone, mp3 player, etc. Most CDs are 50-70 MBs per disc and storage is quite cheap. You can get a TB HD for well under $100.

Sharp LC-80LE844U | Marantz BD8002 | Marantz AV8003 | Marsh Sound Design A400s (FL/FR) | Marantz MM7055 (C/SL/SR) | Phase Tech PC 9.1 (FL/FR) | Phase Tech PC 3.1 (C/SL/SR) | 3 Phase Tech Octave Power-15 Subs | 1 REL R-528 Sub
post #12 of 39 Old 02-03-2016, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by uniquepattern View Post
Interesting. One would think that by its very nature "lossless" wouldn't have any compression, so that's good to know. Does iTunes have a way to rip the music in .wav format?

If you can't tell, I'm new to the whole ripping CDs/iTunes thing. I don't think I've ever bought a single song on iTunes, but ti does seem to be a useful way to save your songs onto a computer, smartphone, or tablet.
post #13 of 39 Old 02-03-2016, 02:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 596 Post(s)
Liked: 117
Quote:
Googled and found these:

Tut Tut, Supply & demand.... Wouldn't a portable DVD player be much less?

Steep prices?, I'd say more like insane opportunistic pricing.

Basically the industry is telling you to "trash your cd collection!"... store everything in the clouds for an EZ monthly fee dude! ... yeah & it will always be there when you want it too.... Right!

Like the Telco wants me to get rid of my landline, & to do so they keep increasing the service till I say enough is enough, but again I just love than big black box on my kitchen wall, & really do not want to part with it... & if I do, all communication from my house will cease to exist!
post #14 of 39 Old 02-07-2016, 11:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jawaburger View Post
If you use iTunes on your main computer you can easily rip them. There is actually a setting in iTunes to rip CDs when you insert them. Yes, I am able to play WAV songs on my iPhone, but it won't play FLAC, you have to use the Apple ALAC if you want to have lossless compressed files.

I recently ripped all 400+ of my CDs in an uncompressed format and it took up less than 300 GBs. It was a chore, but I love being able to point and click to listen to whatever song I want, and transfer the music files very easily to my phone, mp3 player, etc. Most CDs are 50-70 MBs per disc and storage is quite cheap. You can get a TB HD for well under $100.
Thanks again for your help! I think I've finally decided to rip all my music digitally from my CDs and then listen on either my iPad, iPhone, or laptop. Plus I still have the CDs to play on a CD player, which hopefully I'll have in the future again sometime.
post #15 of 39 Old 02-07-2016, 11:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 651 Post(s)
Liked: 268
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bismarck440 View Post
Tut Tut, Supply & demand.... Wouldn't a portable DVD player be much less?

Steep prices?, I'd say more like insane opportunistic pricing.

Basically the industry is telling you to "trash your cd collection!"... store everything in the clouds for an EZ monthly fee dude! ... yeah & it will always be there when you want it too.... Right!

Like the Telco wants me to get rid of my landline, & to do so they keep increasing the service till I say enough is enough, but again I just love than big black box on my kitchen wall, & really do not want to part with it... & if I do, all communication from my house will cease to exist!

The only thing I store in the cloud are my dreams. I would hate to find out 600Gb music disappeared.

Who needs 4K?... just go see your optometrist.
post #16 of 39 Old 02-08-2016, 04:14 AM

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 31
One thing I forgot to mention, do get an external Hard drive and back up all your rips!

Sharp LC-80LE844U | Marantz BD8002 | Marantz AV8003 | Marsh Sound Design A400s (FL/FR) | Marantz MM7055 (C/SL/SR) | Phase Tech PC 9.1 (FL/FR) | Phase Tech PC 3.1 (C/SL/SR) | 3 Phase Tech Octave Power-15 Subs | 1 REL R-528 Sub
post #17 of 39 Old 02-08-2016, 06:42 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
If you are open to used as I am, just type 'discman' or 'walkman' in your local CL. I'm not in a market for one, but I do see these come up for sale every now and then.
post #18 of 39 Old 02-08-2016, 09:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 596 Post(s)
Liked: 117
Quote:
Originally Posted by NODES View Post
The only thing I store in the cloud are my dreams. I would hate to find out 600Gb music disappeared.
Being sarcastic, even a Hard drive is prone to crashing, Optical storage would be the best bet.... I just prefer to have the CD's for some reason... & I copy the ones that leave the house.... just in case.
ematcion likes this.
post #19 of 39 Old 02-15-2016, 01:17 PM
FMW
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1585 Post(s)
Liked: 1612
OP, I have one of the Radio Shack portable CD players that was recommended by Stereophile magazine. It works just fine. $30. If interested you can PM me for a toll free phone number.
post #20 of 39 Old 02-15-2016, 03:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FMW View Post
OP, I have one of the Radio Shack portable CD players that was recommended by Stereophile magazine. It works just fine. $30. If interested you can PM me for a toll free phone number.
Sure, I'll definitely PM you on that. Do you by chance have the Stereophile article about it? Just curious.

Edit: It didn't let me send you a PM, because I don't have 15 posts yet. Maybe you can PM me?
post #21 of 39 Old 02-15-2016, 08:08 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 209 Post(s)
Liked: 920
Quote:
Sure, I'll definitely PM you on that. Do you by chance have the Stereophile article about it? Just curious.

Edit: It didn't let me send you a PM, because I don't have 15 posts yet. Maybe you can PM me?

I think this is the article he is talking about. If so, Radio Shack doesn't list it online anymore.

http://www.stereophile.com/content/r...e6WBl2Y7p3L.97

The only portable CD player Radio Shack lists online now is a Memorex for $30.

https://www.radioshack.com/products/...ant=5717752901

Sony STR-DE545 Receiver | Sony CDP-CE315 5-Disc CD Changer | Monitor Audio Bronze BX2 Bookshelf Speakers

"My CD's don't earn interest...they play sweet music."
"Vinyl-free since 1983"
post #22 of 39 Old 02-15-2016, 08:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pacodutaco View Post
I think this is the article he is talking about. If so, Radio Shack doesn't list it online anymore.

http://www.stereophile.com/content/r...e6WBl2Y7p3L.97

The only portable CD player Radio Shack lists online now is a Memorex for $30.

https://www.radioshack.com/products/...ant=5717752901

Thanks!
post #23 of 39 Old 02-16-2016, 11:55 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 67
Quote:
Googled and found these:

Good thing I loaded up on new portable CD players when they were being cleared out of stores such as Target. The Sony D-NE series is excellent.

Part of my ever-growing SACD collection
post #24 of 39 Old 02-23-2016, 05:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Liked: 49
Quote:
But lossless is lossless, regardless of compression. The playback quality will be the same whether the files is compressed or not, as long as the compression is lossless.

Cary
post #25 of 39 Old 02-23-2016, 06:12 AM

Quoted: 144 Post(s)
Liked: 126
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcmccorm View Post
But lossless is lossless, regardless of compression. The playback quality will be the same whether the files is compressed or not, as long as the compression is lossless.

Cary
I get the idea...

A/B flac vs uncompressed wav versions of the same song from the same original, there is most definatly a difference... it is VERY minor, and unless you have a wicked transparent/acurate system it may go completely unnoticed...

So no, the quality will not be the same, though the difference may be not be totally audible
post #26 of 39 Old 02-23-2016, 08:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Liked: 49
Quote:
I get the idea...

A/B flac vs uncompressed wav versions of the same song from the same original, there is most definatly a difference... it is VERY minor, and unless you have a wicked transparent/acurate system it may go completely unnoticed...

So no, the quality will not be the same, though the difference may be not be totally audible
Interesting! I don't understand that and would think they would sound the same (after decompression, they should be identical). I'll have to research that. Thanks.

Cary
post #27 of 39 Old 02-25-2016, 01:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 933 Post(s)
Liked: 641
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcmccorm View Post
Interesting! I don't understand that and would think they would sound the same (after decompression, they should be identical). I'll have to research that. Thanks.
They are identical... Anything we "hear" different is placebo or confirmation bias or something broken. The lossless codecs are shown to be bit-perfect to the original file upon decompression.

I would not recommend using WAV files, as there's no support for metadata (or at least, nothing truly standard that gets supported by the players). Apple Lossless or FLAC are both good choices, and dbPowerAmp's converter will allow you to move between the two (and make a decent-bitrate MP3 copy of your collection for space-constrained mobile devices).

Jeff
CruelInventions likes this.

Rock Creek Theater -- CIH, Panamorph, Martin Logan, SVS PB2000, Carada Masquerade, Grafik Eye, Bar table, Green Glue, JVC RS50 
Theater build photos: http://photobucket.com/autor-ht
post #28 of 39 Old 02-25-2016, 07:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jautor View Post
They are identical... Anything we "hear" different is placebo or confirmation bias or something broken. The lossless codecs are shown to be bit-perfect to the original file upon decompression.

I would not recommend using WAV files, as there's no support for metadata (or at least, nothing truly standard that gets supported by the players). Apple Lossless or FLAC are both good choices, and dbPowerAmp's converter will allow you to move between the two (and make a decent-bitrate MP3 copy of your collection for space-constrained mobile devices).

Jeff
Man, I can see this stuff is very confusing. There seems to be lots of debates on here.

So I started uploading my CD collection to my computer onto iTunes (I did it using the ALAC format to try to save some space, both on my computer and onto the mobile devices I plan to put the music onto to listen).

My question now is does uploading the songs from iTunes on my computer onto Apple Music on my iPhone and iPad retain the ALAC format? I did a little research, and I worry that by transferring it onto my mobile devices through Apple Music that it will now be 256kbps, or some form of lower-quality than I originally had through ALAC and on the CDs themselves. I read a few things that seemed to hint that the switch-over to the Apple Music music app from the iTunes (or whatever previous app was in Apple Music's place...I'm assuming iTunes?) app meant that songs you had would now be lower-quality.

Although I can't figure out if that is only for people who have an active Apple Music subscription, which I DO NOT have. I merely want to play music upload from my CDs onto my iOS devices at full CD-quality. Is transferring onto iTunes on my computer using ALAC format and then transferring them onto my phone/tablet through iTunes the best way to do this? Am I losing quality?

This world of digital music is pretty confusing to me, and I'm not even old! Honestly, this is why I had stuck with CDs for so long.

Sorry for the, I'm sure, tiresome-by-now questions. I will be very mad if Apple somehow got rid of the ability to play anything over 256 or 320kbps on iOS devices for those who want to listen to CD-quality tracks on their mobile devices (without having to download hi-res files off the Internet).
post #29 of 39 Old 02-25-2016, 08:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 933 Post(s)
Liked: 641
Quote:
My question now is does uploading the songs from iTunes on my computer onto Apple Music on my iPhone and iPad retain the ALAC format? I did a little research, and I worry that by transferring it onto my mobile devices through Apple Music that it will now be 256kbps, or some form of lower-quality than I originally had through ALAC and on the CDs themselves. I read a few things that seemed to hint that the switch-over to the Apple Music music app from the iTunes (or whatever previous app was in Apple Music's place...I'm assuming iTunes?) app meant that songs you had would now be lower-quality.
There is a setting in iTunes (or maybe it prompts you) if you rip with ALAC that it will do a conversion to a lossy compression (to save space) when you copy those files to a mobile device. The original file in the iTunes library remains.

Quote:
Although I can't figure out if that is only for people who have an active Apple Music subscription, which I DO NOT have. I merely want to play music upload from my CDs onto my iOS devices at full CD-quality. Is transferring onto iTunes on my computer using ALAC format and then transferring them onto my phone/tablet through iTunes the best way to do this? Am I losing quality?
Honestly, the compression codecs these days are so good, you probably won't be able to tell any difference, especially if you're using earbuds or listening in less than ideal conditions. And even if you could tell, the differences are extremely subtle, not objectionable, and for a mobile device, having space for twice or three times as many songs is a great trade off.

Quote:
This world of digital music is pretty confusing to me, and I'm not even old! Honestly, this is why I had stuck with CDs for so long.

Sorry for the, I'm sure, tiresome-by-now questions. I will be very mad if Apple somehow got rid of the ability to play anything over 256 or 320kbps on iOS devices for those who want to listen to CD-quality tracks on their mobile devices (without having to download hi-res files off the Internet).
You can choose to just use the ALAC versions, but again, I wouldn't do that.

There was an excellent test and poll a few years ago which had a blind test between WAV, FLAC, 320k, 192k and even 128k MP3, all using the same track (the truly awful "We Built This City" by Starship). It took me an hour or more to divide the lossy / lossless files correctly, using very good gear, and the process gave me a headache. I remember a decade+ ago being able to easily distinguish 128k vs 160k vs 192k (and maybe even 256k in some cases), so I was shocked at how good the modern 128k track sounded.

http://blog.codinghorror.com/the-gre...te-experiment/

If you want to replicate the test for yourself, take a track and rip it four times, then convert each copy back to a WAV file and have someone rename them so you don't know which is which. See if you can tell the difference... I may have his 5 "cheese-named" files around still, too.

Jeff

Rock Creek Theater -- CIH, Panamorph, Martin Logan, SVS PB2000, Carada Masquerade, Grafik Eye, Bar table, Green Glue, JVC RS50 
Theater build photos: http://photobucket.com/autor-ht
post #30 of 39 Old 02-25-2016, 09:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jautor View Post
There is a setting in iTunes (or maybe it prompts you) if you rip with ALAC that it will do a conversion to a lossy compression (to save space) when you copy those files to a mobile device. The original file in the iTunes library remains.

Honestly, the compression codecs these days are so good, you probably won't be able to tell any difference, especially if you're using earbuds or listening in less than ideal conditions. And even if you could tell, the differences are extremely subtle, not objectionable, and for a mobile device, having space for twice or three times as many songs is a great trade off.

You can choose to just use the ALAC versions, but again, I wouldn't do that.

There was an excellent test and poll a few years ago which had a blind test between WAV, FLAC, 320k, 192k and even 128k MP3, all using the same track (the truly awful "We Built This City" by Starship). It took me an hour or more to divide the lossy / lossless files correctly, using very good gear, and the process gave me a headache. I remember a decade+ ago being able to easily distinguish 128k vs 160k vs 192k (and maybe even 256k in some cases), so I was shocked at how good the modern 128k track sounded.

http://blog.codinghorror.com/the-gre...te-experiment/

If you want to replicate the test for yourself, take a track and rip it four times, then convert each copy back to a WAV file and have someone rename them so you don't know which is which. See if you can tell the difference... I may have his 5 "cheese-named" files around still, too.

Jeff
Yes, I've kinda tried to resign myself that you are probably right and I doubt I'd ever notice a difference between the two versions.

I looked for the settings on iTunes to see what kind of format audio tracks are converted to when copying them to mobile devices, but I couldn't find it. Anyone else know? Maybe I'm just blind and can't find them, haha.

Most of my concern with them being CD-quality is that (for the time being) listening on my iPhone and iPad will probably be the only way I listen to new albums. I started this thread because for years I listened to my CDs on a portable CD player, but ever since that broke, I haven't really been listening to albums/CDs at all. I don't have a full-size CD player to plug headphones into, and unfortunately it seems impossible to plug headphones into a PS3 or Xbox One easily (unless they're game headsets). I guess I could listen to my CDs off my laptop, but that seems like kind of a pain, because I just don't really like the idea of being tethered to my laptop with headphones, but I guess I'll have to make due one day.

Anyways, in terms of equipment, I have a pair of Grado SR60s (the original ones from back in the day) that have lasted me a good decade or more, and I always enjoyed them. I would like to upgrade or at least get more headphones one day when I have more money. I don't have a headphone amp or a DAC, but would like to get these things one day when I have more money.

You're probably right that I should just listen to the files the way they are in my Apple Music after being transferred from CDs in iTunes. Just wish there was an easy way to tell on my iOS devices what format the tracks are in. Makes me miss my CD player! Everything was quite simple with it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply CD Players & Dedicated Music Transports

taboola here
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page