Forum Jump: 

Old 04-13-2006, 12:35 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by MIkeDuke
Let me ask you this. Does it have a HT pass through. If not, then chances are if go Ayre it will be the C-5xe.
Thanks
Mike I had the same concern. No it does not have the HT pass through. But actually it is very simple to control the HT processor. You just select the HT input and set the volume of the K-1xe to one notch before 3 o'clock. Very easy once you have done it a couple of times, and works exactly as it would if it had the processor pass through. Hope this helps.....

Paul
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-13-2006, 12:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 145 Post(s)
Liked: 80
OK. So I can have my Halo C2 and the K-1xe in the same system and go back and forth from 2ch to HT. So when I want to watch HT I "select the HT input and set the volume of the K-1xe to one notch before 3 o'clock" correct? and when I want to listen to cd's I just use the cd input on the Ayre. Do I have it correct?
Thanks
Mike

It ain't easy being green.
My System
Old 04-13-2006, 12:54 PM

That's correct Mike, it's that easy! Works exactly the same.

Also if you have any more questions or concerns I have found the guys at Ayre are glad to talk with you at length, and they are very friendly. Just call the number on the website. http://www.ayre.com . You may need to leave your number but they call you right back....
Old 04-13-2006, 01:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Thanks. I might do that. But I am so far away from getting anything, I would not want to waste their time. When the time gets closer I probably will call them.
thanks again.

My System
Old 04-14-2006, 06:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Paul.
I was wondering if you listened to the K-5xe at all. If so, do you have any thoughts on it?
Thanks

My System
Old 04-14-2006, 10:28 AM

Hi Mike, yes I heard the K-5 before I heard the K-1, at my dealer's showroom. I was very impressed with the detail and nuance of the K-5, and I think anyone would be happy with it. For the money, if budget is an issue, and with the the convenience of the processor loop, you probably would not be a bit unhappy with the K-5. I just think Ayre Acoustics is producing revolutionary equipment and Charles Hansen the designer, is truly a genius! I am so delighted with what I am hearing in my new system that I cannot praise them enough.
Old 04-14-2006, 10:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Thanks Paul. At least I know that the K5-xe would also be a good choice. As far as budget goes, I am on the fence with what I really want to do. I just wish I knew about them earlier. I do like what I hear out of my system as well. But I would have liked to have considered Ayer when looking for my player. I have just started to save, so I am not close to making a choice. But it seems like Ayre will be the choice I make. You among other people have convinced me to take a long hard look at them. And I am glad I did.

My System
Old 04-21-2006, 11:46 PM

The Ayre C-5xe player and the K-1xe preamp are broken in after three weeks of solid playing, and I have put Ayre myrtle wood blocks, as they recommend, under all my gear. Using Wilson Sophia 2s for speakers and 2 Linn Solo Klimax amps. Also have Aerial SB-12 subwoofer. The sound is so pure and musical and lifelike that I just sit in awe. Best I have ever heard! Really sweet and detailed with stunning focus and soundstage. Voices especially are so real. Everything exceeds my hopes for the system.
Old 04-22-2006, 04:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Paul, I am glad that it is turning out to be something special. I know that it is a good feeling.
I am sure that it is nothing short of fantastic. All of your gear is top notch.
Congrarts

My System
Old 04-23-2006, 12:20 AM

Thanks for the kind words Mike, and more than ever, I would encourage you to keep Ayre gear at the top of your wish list. I feel certain it will please you no end! Have fun with your quest!
Old 04-23-2006, 10:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Don't worry, they are on the top of my list. No doubt about it. But, things never go as planned. My sub may be on the way out so I may need to pull the funds for that first. But I can say without a doubt that I am going to try as hard as I can to get a K-1xe. From talking with you, and other people I trust I can see that Ayre deserves my consideration and it will get it.

My System
Old 06-14-2006, 02:39 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Four months later, my verdict on the Musical Fidelity A5: Thumbs up!

I have since added mono blocks, room treatments and lots of fancy wires to my system. As much as I like to tweak, I have really had no reason to consider upgrading the A5. Sure, if I stumbled across a dirt cheap KW SACD around bonus time I'd be tempted. But since I have had the A5, my movie to music ratio has gone from 60%/40% to 20%/80%. Whenever I whip out an old disc, it is a real kick to know that I am about to hear it better than I had ever heard it before.

The A5 has proven highly reliable and thoroughly enjoyable. As an added bonus (or drain on the bank account) it responds well to interconnect swapping, ie, if you make a change, the chances are good that you will hear a difference. This allows for a bit of fine tuning that just might benefit your system.

All in all, I have convinced myself that I made the right decision. The Musical Fidelity A5 is THE best redbook CD player. (see disclosure below) Test one in your system. Perhaps the results will convince you too.

With my system, In my room, to my ears......
Old 06-15-2006, 01:04 AM
Advanced Member

The main problem with MF gear IMHO is their QA pretty much sucks. From sonic point of view there are better alternates as well. For example to my ears the significantly cheaper Cary 303/300 sounded way better than the 10K MF Transport/DAC. YMMV.

IGNORANCE IS A BLISS
Old 06-29-2006, 07:08 PM

Capfasurf -

Don't know if you have seen the review of the A5 at SixMoons.com, but the reviewer had a lot of wonderful things to say about it - especially after he slipped a 2-inch thick piece of maple under it.
Old 07-02-2006, 01:03 PM

6Moons is the most unapologetic ******** audio magazine in the world. I don't trust a damn thing they publish.
Old 07-06-2006, 01:43 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Maple? Crazy! I am using some isolation pucks called Gannymeads. I think the sales guy laughed after I walked out of the store with them. I will look at the 6moons review!

As far as QA is concerned, what is QA? If it is anything to do with manufacturing quality, my unit has been trouble free. And I have logged a lot of hours.

And I'll bet that the MF assembly line workers can take better PKs than the Swiss! :)

Old 07-08-2006, 09:10 PM

I recently purchased the MF A5 CDP. The reality was there were only a few players in my area to audition- in store only- rotel, meridian G08, cary.

At first, I missed the cheap thrill my cheap aiwa was giving some of the brass and percussion on my classical discs. But the truth was that that the sizzle was giving me listener fatigue and some of it was an artifact of the player- same as those speakers they advertised in the past as giving you "goosebumps" and alot of fatigue. The more I listended though, the more I realized that I could now appreciate the music and not be distracted by the sleight of hand. Part of the laid back sound in my set up is probably also from my laid back speakers- which were great for the last 8 years in toning down some of the glare on cd's - I have vandersteen 2ce signatures.
I am satisfied with the A5 - it seems like a well made product and it seems there is no perfect CDP that will turn the sow's ear of a redbook cd into a silk purse.
When I read about folks that own 5+ CD players- I can see why.
Old 07-09-2006, 06:34 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

I think you will enjoy your A5 more and more as it breaks in. They say that proces takes around 100 hrs. And try playing around with different interconnects. You may find that in your system, you will hear some differences you prefer.

Old 07-10-2006, 02:00 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capfacsurf
As far as QA is concerned, what is QA? If it is anything to do with manufacturing quality, my unit has been trouble free. And I have logged a lot of hours.
Count your blessings mate :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capfacsurf
And I'll bet that the MF assembly line workers can take better PKs than the Swiss! :)
:confused:

IGNORANCE IS A BLISS
Old 07-10-2006, 07:33 PM

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyc
the Ah! Njoe Tjoeb is great bang for the buck. Under $1K for a tube output with upsampler and tweaks such as upgraded feet and power cord.
I have one of these with the upsampler board and NOS tubes. I think it sounds great!!!

-Tom
Old 07-11-2006, 03:58 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Dollarman:

I have been lusting for the MF KW SACD player for about a year. Is that the model you feel is inferior to the Cary?

Old 07-12-2006, 01:26 AM
Advanced Member

Nah mate KW SACD is the cheaper one :p I auditioned the mega $$$ kW DM25 System (Transport + DAC) and I could not see any reason to own it compared against the Cary.

IGNORANCE IS A BLISS
Old 07-12-2006, 12:20 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Wow. That is either a huge recommendation for Cary, or a suprising condemnation of MF! Based on my warm and fuzzies for the A5, I assumed the more expensive gear would be $that$ much better. And to think that now I will have to audition the players before I upgrade! 'Da horror!

Old 07-13-2006, 05:09 PM

Well here is what happened- I was working hard to appreciate the A5 cdp Certainly the listening fatigue was gone,. but so was some excitment. I couldnt get involved with the music.
So I decided to try a loaner A5 integrated amp and see what the cdp in its native context sounded like. That did it- everything fell into place, the bass, the air around the instruments, the "frisson" of the cymbals- Certainly worth the extra expense.
There evidently was bad synergy with my Rotel RB 1077 set up. So now, I am keeping the rotel gear hooked up with the Rotel changer for party and background music and keeping the A5 alongside it . My new problem is how to hook up 2 different amplifiers in an A/B switch to one set of speakers.
Old 07-13-2006, 06:05 PM

I would *not* buy a CD player. I "replaced" my CD transport with a Sonos ZP80 and Wireless Controller. I ripped all 500 of my CDs to a 200GB Network Storage Hard Drive using EAC into FLAC lossless format. I then output the digital signal into an MSB Gold Link DAC III with the P1000 Powerbase.
The sound quality is unreal, does it sound better than the transport? Not sure, they definitely sound slightly different but they both sound so good that I can't decide which actually sounds better. However, its AMAZING how much more music you listen to when you can just grab a controller, sit down, and browse through ALL of your music, no more searching for lost CDs or browsing through CD folders.
I personally believe that within 3 years they will have a streaming lossless subscription based music service, a bit like Rhapsody, but with lossless files and at that point you will no longer need to deal with plastics discs anymore.

It was then....that the drugs took hold
Old 07-14-2006, 02:26 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

John Stassi,

A nice problem to have! Can't recommend an A/B configuration, but I am sure some member will have an idea. Try a pair of Audience Au24 inteconnects. They sound real sweet running full stream from A5, to pre/pero, amps.

Zan,

I look forward to that day. My freakin' eyesight is making it harder and harder to read those jewel boxes. But I can not see sacrificing sound quality for convenience.

Old 07-14-2006, 11:20 PM

How are you sacrificing sound quality if you play a bit-perfect file into a high-end external digital to analog converter? As I said, my configuration sounds amazing; I have not used a CD in months and I am extremely picky about sound.

It was then....that the drugs took hold
Old 07-16-2006, 04:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Stassi
Well here is what happened- I was working hard to appreciate the A5 cdp Certainly the listening fatigue was gone,. but so was some excitment. I couldnt get involved with the music.
So I decided to try a loaner A5 integrated amp and see what the cdp in its native context sounded like. That did it- everything fell into place, the bass, the air around the instruments, the "frisson" of the cymbals- Certainly worth the extra expense.
There evidently was bad synergy with my Rotel RB 1077 set up. So now, I am keeping the rotel gear hooked up with the Rotel changer for party and background music and keeping the A5 alongside it . My new problem is how to hook up 2 different amplifiers in an A/B switch to one set of speakers.
hehe my experience the other way around, owned the musical fidelity A5cr pre-power amplifier combo for close to a year and then borrowed an A5 CD player recently from a local dealer to check it out and yeah exact same thing. Its as if everything just fell in place. Sounds so right. A very nice CD player indeed !

how exactly do you want to hook things up john stassi, do you want to use the rb-1077 to power all yout other channels for ht with the mf A5 integrated drivign just the mains ?. I imagine youd' take the pre-out fronts from your AV pre-pro to feed the ht-direct input on the A5 integrated ?

"Technology is a drug. We can't get enough of it."

Welcome to my lounge room :)
Old 07-16-2006, 09:18 AM

alebonau, sounds like you can help me figure this out-
If I wanted to use the Rotel Preamp which has my tuner and rotel CD changer , I would take my Rotel preamp outputs and plug them into the HT inputs on the A5, and then the A5 would be acting as my AMP ? Suppose I wanted to keep the ROTEL 1077 AMP in the circuit (with the idea that the rotel gear would be all the same manufact from preamp to source to amp. Any way I could keep it running off the rotel amp?
Old 07-18-2006, 01:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Stassi
alebonau, sounds like you can help me figure this out-
If I wanted to use the Rotel Preamp which has my tuner and rotel CD changer , I would take my Rotel preamp outputs and plug them into the HT inputs on the A5, and then the A5 would be acting as my AMP ? Suppose I wanted to keep the ROTEL 1077 AMP in the circuit (with the idea that the rotel gear would be all the same manufact from preamp to source to amp. Any way I could keep it running off the rotel amp?
thats right john taking the Rotel preamp outputs and plugging them into the HT inputs on the A5 would have the A5 acting only as a power amp for ht and other stuff you feed the rotel.

either way though you can only have one power amp feeding your mains either the a5 or the rotel 1077. The rotel though could still feed all your other speakers with jsut the a5 doign the mains.

I'm using my a5 pre-power amp to drive my mains and another brand multichannel power amp driving my centre and surrounds - works a treat.

"Technology is a drug. We can't get enough of it."

Welcome to my lounge room :)