Comparison of mini-stereo systems? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 14 Old 06-21-2006, 02:11 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have a bedroom shelf stereo system that now has completely died except for the tuner.... It was a great system, lasted over 15 years... can't complain.

As this is my first post, I can't post URL's but after 5 posts I can.... So I am going to bump this thread 4 times and then post my query...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 06-21-2006, 02:13 PM - Thread Starter

So this is post number 2.... I hope it is becoming clear I am not a spammer... :)
post #3 of 14 Old 06-21-2006, 02:16 PM - Thread Starter

Well, I tried to upload an avatar... but I can't seem to get the option for it to come up... :( post # 3
post #4 of 14 Old 06-21-2006, 02:19 PM - Thread Starter

Well, I discovered that i need ot become a member of the CLub to upload an avatar.... I gues I want to hang out here a while while before I do that... post # 4
post #5 of 14 Old 06-21-2006, 02:22 PM - Thread Starter

Well, at least I can attach a picture so everyone can see what I look like... post #5...

http://forum.notebookreview.com/imag...ine=1125726813
post #6 of 14 Old 06-21-2006, 02:22 PM - Thread Starter

Okay so now I should be able to post this post:

Last year I almost bought this: Yamaha MRC-E600 AT first I was not so pleased because it did not have a CD changer... but someone here at JSF said it was set up so I could rip MP3 versions of my CD's onto a CD and play that. Though I have an MP3 player (an iRiver) I never learned how to use it..:o I also did not like the idea that I would have to rip on a CD what I wanted to hear. I just wanted to pick 5-6 CD's, stick them in the changer and have music play for a number of hours. I could get the item for about $400 total.

But it seems nothing has come out since that has included a changer (except the extremely over-priced Bose -- which I will never buy.) Since I did not buy it then , I thought I would just wait until this spring to see what came out.

I came up with this:

JVC EX-A10 100-Watt DVD Executive Microsystem with Sake-Soaked Speakers

I listened to the sake soaked cherry speakers last year on a much lesser model... I can't remember my impression of them. The best sound quality I found was the Onkyo which had an incredibly beautiful sound but had problems with it --- which I forgot what they are-- but something like dropping sound or not playing something... or something like that... enough to get me not to buy it.. Yamaha's sound was pretty good but I would have added a sub-woofer to it. Others who bought that system did that.

It seems that the JVC has more updated stuff (like MP4). They do not have a description of the product on JVC's own website :eek: I don't know if the DVD player is progressive scan and plays NTSC/PAL like the Yamaha does. SO I called JVC and one of their customer service reps found a manual he is going to e-mail me (as soon as his extremely slow computer downloads it....:rolleyes: )

If you use price as an indicator, the JVC is about twice as much... but that is not always a good gage. Plus I do not associate JVC with really high end quality... I like to buy at the very top of what I can afford and then use it for a decade or so :)

Anyway, anybody have any thoughts. I know I have to learn about MP stuff.... Just haven't had time. I understand it is possible to rip all your CD's onto an external HD and then play your CD's that way... But I always wonder about sound quality, etc.....

Any feed back of any form will be more than welcomed.
post #7 of 14 Old 06-25-2006, 10:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
Justina,
I don't understand your need to post a picture of "yourself". Was this an attempt to get guys to think you might be a female and get all excited? If so you blew it, you've got to show tits or ass to get us excited. . . and most of us here could care less what sex you are when it comes to music questions.
Anyway, back to your question(s).
I recently bought my daughter one of these
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage....=1077625490200
It had the combination of features she wanted - aux input for her ipod, Cd changer (though she doesn't use that much anymore since most of her music is on the ipod).
It was by far the best sounding unit I could find for anywhere near the price I wanted to pay.
It has alot of useless gimmicks, but, underlying them is a fair quality unit for the price paid.
I did not listen to the JVC unit you linked to. I've read they are pretty good, but, that was more than I wanted to spend for a cheap bedroom system. If I were to spend more than a few hundred bucks on a bedroom system I seriously consider getting a component based system. But that would take up more space. . .
You really need to figure out what is most important to you.
What is your budget?
Does the system have to be compact?
Do you want bass thump, or, are you willing to give that up for better midrange?
Any special features you want?
You want a CD changer - shouldn't be a problem (although the Phillips player I linked to above might not be the best choice for that because the changing mechanism is noisier than it could be).
You mention DVD - do you also want video output, and more than two speaker sound?
In the end you have to go listen to a bunch of stuff and pick what you like, and look for features you think are important. Then balance that with your budget. You look like a smart young lady, you should be able to do this. At most every price point there is stuff that sounds good to some people, but not others. At the lower end you are looking at there are bigger comprimises than some of us might like. e.g. if you value appearance more than sound you might pick a different unit than I did for my daughter.
BTW computer stored music can sound just as good as CD music. And once you get it on your computer it is much more convenient.
Hope this helps, and feel free to post more pictures ;)

Everything I say here is my opinion. It is not my employers opinion, it is not my wife's opinion, it is not my neighbors opinion, it is My Opinion.
post #8 of 14 Old 06-25-2006, 10:20 AM
AVS Special Member

p.s. We have not been able to try the much flouted computer connection options this unit has because we are a Mac house. Even without these features my daughter and I are happy with what we got for the money. If you have a PC, and want to try PC music, these features might add value for you (my daughter just dumps the music to her ipod then uses the the dock connector on the ipod to connect to the analog input on the philips - it sounds pretty good, way better than I had when I was her age - my son connects his ipod to cheap computer speakers, sounds like crap to me, but makes him happy. One day I might get myself one of those Ipod things - I'm waiting for 100+ GB capacity . . .

Everything I say here is my opinion. It is not my employers opinion, it is not my wife's opinion, it is not my neighbors opinion, it is My Opinion.
post #9 of 14 Old 06-28-2006, 08:56 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the info. I guess I want to go higher end than the system you suggest. I have a larger more expensive system in my living room (though no video output as of yet) but hanging out in my bedroom is something that occurs often enough that I want good sounding music and the ability to watch DVD's to good effect. Though I have not yet looked into satellite radio, it does seem the wave of the future. And as I am learning more about HDMI, it does seem like something I might be concerned with though I have only heard about it in the context of television, something I do not have in my household.

I have indeed listened to all the systems I have considered except the new JVC. I certainly plan to listen to it before I consider buying it. My question was how important it was that it did not have HDMI or XM ready capabilities. I know it is possible to attach an XM component. I did not know enough yet about HDMI to know what it meant not to have it. I was hoping to find that information here.

It might be better for me to post this query in the Home theater Forum as I am seeing a fair number of references to the new JVC as a compact Home theater in a box.

Oh.. and with regard to the substitute for the avatar... most of the virtual communities I hang out in like to have avatars, which are typically pictures of the members. I see now that here that is not the custom.

It is clear you, in particular, were extremely disappointed in my picture. If I had read this article ahead of time, I would have understood your very specific tastes. Sorry you don't feel accommodated by the link... but I am sure you can satisfy your needs by browsing the internet. You DO know how to to do that, don't you? I would not have thought you would have come here for that, knowing what you know about this community. Does your spouse know about your interests? maybe there can be an accommodation there.... Or was there a need to put a filter on your computer.... :rolleyes:
post #10 of 14 Old 06-28-2006, 09:25 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Liked: 141
So, why isn't all this in the HTIB forum, where it belongs, instead of here?

Kal

Kal Rubinson

"Music in the Round"
Senior Contributing Editor, Stereophile
http://www.stereophile.com/category/music-round

post #11 of 14 Old 06-28-2006, 09:26 AM

Liked: 14
I have always liked Panasonic for mini-stereo systems.
post #12 of 14 Old 06-28-2006, 09:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Justitia,
Sorry about the picture crack. We get occasional people on here who pretend to be girls because they think it gets their questions more attention. It was a stupid thing for me to even comment on in my post.
From what I've read the previous audio only JVC unit similar to the one you are looking at was well received. I imagine the new DVD video capable one is also a decent unit (and certainly better than what I bought my daughter.
I think you are correct, questions about HDMI are better placed in one of the video forums. I know very little about it. I'm a music person, very little interest in video - hence my video room is all old school analog connections.

post #13 of 14 Old 06-28-2006, 01:09 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kal Rubinson
So, why isn't all this in the HTIB forum, where it belongs, instead of here?

Kal
You are absolutely right and if you see in my second post, I realized that... forgive my ignorance .... I am new to this site. I have posted the query there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PULLIAMM
I have always liked Panasonic for mini-stereo systems.
I have listened to a number of Panasonics... but the quality is not as high end as I want.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dknightd
Justitia,
Sorry about the picture crack. We get occasional people on here who pretend to be girls because they think it gets their questions more attention. It was a stupid thing for me to even comment on in my post.
From what I've read the previous audio only JVC unit similar to the one you are looking at was well received. I imagine the new DVD video capable one is also a decent unit (and certainly better than what I bought my daughter.
I think you are correct, questions about HDMI are better placed in one of the video forums. I know very little about it. I'm a music person, very little interest in video - hence my video room is all old school analog connections.
LOL, you are completely forgiven.... :) I can't imagine that people post pictures pretending that they are female... I am really female... that is my picture.

Thanks for your feedback and I have posted the query in the HTIB forum where it should have been from the start.

At the moment I am trying to get the specs from a 5 MB PDF file broken up so I can post the relevant info there as well.
post #14 of 14 Old 07-17-2006, 11:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
The DVD Capable JVC stereo doesent last very long . my mom rent to owned me one so I could upgrade from my old Emerson stero I bought at a thrift store for five bugks it worked fine but I wanted an upgrade,

Tjhe JVC stereo ate one of My DVDs and locked up and my mom sent it back, the chowder headed guy at the place fixed it after saing coke was spilled in it or so he says he fixed it I put another DVD in when I got it back and it ate that Movie

Just go and try to find an anceint stereo with a CD player that works at a thrif store because old stereo's were built to last and sound better trebble wise and midrasng wize ans have clearer bass and a graphic equilizer which you can actualy st to your liking!

One shall stand... One Shall Fall... - Optimus Prime
Closed Thread CD Players & Dedicated Music Transports

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page