post #31 of 1136 Old 08-12-2006, 06:32 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack D View Post

Yeah I have 2.2.2. I see what you mean about the menu button and increasing the text size. That helps a lot! This is not explained in the manual or anywhere else as far as I can tell.

Yeah, I stumbled across this new feature in the release notes posted on the Olive support site with the software update. Don't know when they'll ge around to updating the manual to match.

Brad
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 1136 Old 08-12-2006, 07:49 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blindamood View Post

Yeah, I stumbled across this new feature in the release notes posted on the Olive support site with the software update. Don't know when they'll ge around to updating the manual to match.

Well the Opus I got came with 2.2.2 installed and was in one of the first batches to be shipped. You'd think they would have an up-to-date manual! Actually I think the manual could be a lot better at explaining stuff. Then again, I suppose you could say that about almost any manual.
post #33 of 1136 Old 08-12-2006, 09:39 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I just got a newly released CD. I put it in the Opus and it did not read the names of the songs or the artist. I haven't ripped it yet. I suppose I could rip it in iTunes and then copy it over to the Opus. I'm curious, however, why this would happen. Any ideas?
post #34 of 1136 Old 08-12-2006, 12:31 PM
Advanced Member

From my understanding, the internal database of CD meta data is from 2005. So, anything released after that would not be recognized. So, you basically have two options: enter it yourself (remember, you can use the Web interface), or set up the Opus to access the data from the web. I have not tried the latter yet.

Brad
post #35 of 1136 Old 08-12-2006, 01:58 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

A note that might be useful to someone:

When I scrolled with up/down left/right keys from the Opus remote it would change settings in my Arcam AVP 700 pre-pro. The fix is to change the remote code on the 700 (Olive told me that you cannot reset the Olive remote).

Here is how you do it:

On the Arcam unit:
1. Press the RDS & Preset/Tune Buttons simultaneously.
2. Scroll down to the first selection which reads RC5 Code Zone 1 16*
3. Press the right arrow to change the coding from 16 to 19
4. Save and Exit

On the Arcam remote:
1. Press the 'Aux' source control button near the top of the remote.
2. Press and hold the 'Set' button on the CR80 until the LED blinks twice.
3. Press the numbers '1213'
4. Press the 'Power' button to confirm that the unit is now responding to the new commands.
post #36 of 1136 Old 08-12-2006, 02:28 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

From my understanding, the internal database of CD meta data is from 2005. So, anything released after that would not be recognized. So, you basically have two options: enter it yourself (remember, you can use the Web interface), or set up the Opus to access the data from the web. I have not tried the latter yet.

Yeah that worked. You just have to go to the menu option: "CD Database" and turn on the feature. If you are connected to the LAN it will work but I had to do it manually in the sense that when I put the CD in the Opus did not look to the internet data base site automatically. There is an option to get song information that I had to choose. I have another CD I just bought that is from the 70s and the online data base did not have the info even though the iTunes data base does. That's bunk. I guess I could try to change the online data base that the Opus accesses but apparently they are not all free access.
post #37 of 1136 Old 08-12-2006, 02:32 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DIGINOTE View Post

Olive mentioned that they would provide uPnP-cpmpliant support, which seems to indicate full NAS functionality support.

Anyone heards more on the subject? I'll report on my experience with the Opus once I get it.

I can tell you that my Opus has uPnP option turned on by default in version 2.2.2 of the FW. I don't make use of it myself.
post #38 of 1136 Old 08-13-2006, 01:18 AM

Quote:

I'm so frustrated with Windows file sharing on my LAN that I'm actually considering installing a small server. I'm not sure I understand the significance of full NAS support. If you have a server do you need this feature? Or is it just useful if you are using file sharing only?

Just out of curiosity: Is Olive shipping your Opus immediately or do you have to wait a while? There was so much delay in getting the product out in the first place I just wonder if they have stock now or are still trying to catch up with pre-orders.

Hi Jack,

The beauty of a NAS (one or several hard drives with basic server functionality for managing access rights, RAID configuration if multi-drive, etc.) is that you can access the drive(s) from a music server without needddding to have your computer on at all times, Most NAS units work not only on Windows networks, but also wit Macs and Linux machines. As to using a NAS unit as file-sharing server, I do not believe that's possible with a basic unit, but may be wrong.

I currently use a Turtle Beach Audiotron (no longer made) as a music server, and it recognizes my NAS unit when no computer is running on the network exactly as it recognizes my computer's internal and external drives. A NAS unit with several drives in a RAID configuration ensures superior data security by mirroring drives etc.If a drive fails, it is automatically shut down without any data loss or interruption of operation.

Concerning my order for an Opus, I sent over 400 CDs for "preloading" and was told that the process had started the day my CDs were received, which seems to indicate that the unit was in stock. I should get the "loaded" Opus some time next week. Will report on my experience.

Best,

MG
post #39 of 1136 Old 08-13-2006, 08:28 PM

HI! its the ******!.
Jack, if your daring, I have a simple thing for you to try.
Email me on the side

The ******.
post #40 of 1136 Old 08-13-2006, 08:32 PM

Btw:
The reason the Hifidelio product is the way it is, it was intended for commercial use.
Background music in a commercial establishment.
Pop the cover, and ready to rack mount in a computer rack.
post #41 of 1136 Old 08-13-2006, 08:36 PM

Forgot, Again!! (It sux being retarded!)

You may want to refer to this site, hifidelio(dot)com they have much more info, and tips and tricks, also shows firmware update discriptions.
post #42 of 1136 Old 08-13-2006, 08:41 PM

more!!!

Regarding the remote...
With web interface provided, if it had the interface like Slimserver, you would be able to control it with a wireless PDA. This is something they can easily implement with in the firmware.
post #43 of 1136 Old 08-14-2006, 08:49 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mauimods View Post

HI! its the ******!.
Jack, if your daring, I have a simple thing for you to try.
Email me on the side

The ******.

MM,

Glad to see that you have a sense of humor. In any case, I apologize for the blunt language; in retrospect, I should have worded my message differently.

Anyway: Here is the thing: I assume that the simple thing you want me to try is to prove that my Opus is a piece of crap. I don't have the technical knowledge to be swayed one way or the other, even by a "simple" test. And I seem to be getting along ok with the Opus at this point. It sounds fine to me. So I suppose you can think that I'm an idiot (or a ****** ) for being happy with this POS if that is still your assessment of the Opus. In any case, I don't see what I have to gain from the exercise at this point.

You can always raise the concerns you have in the forum if you want to carry on the discussion along the lines of your posts on Audio Circle. Maybe some people who have more technical knowledge would be able to engage in an informed discussion.
post #44 of 1136 Old 08-14-2006, 01:50 PM

Jack, Opus is not a piece of crap. But there's no question that Olive had lied on the specs. But audio is a funny hobby... good specs doesn't necessarily means enjoyable music, and vice-versa.

MM was referring to the measurement he took, compared to the specs published by Opus. Did he ever say that Opus sounded crap? I doubt it.
post #45 of 1136 Old 08-14-2006, 02:05 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 95bcwh View Post

Jack, Opus is not a piece of crap. But there's no question that Olive had lied on the specs. But audio is a funny hobby... good specs doesn't necessarily means enjoyable music, and vice-versa.

MM was referring to the measurement he took, compared to the specs published by Opus. Did he ever say that Opus sounded crap? I doubt it.

Well you might be correct that he didn't say that the Opus was a POS but that is the way I interpreted what he said. In any case, since MM has joined this thread we can let him speak for himself if he wishes to do so.
post #46 of 1136 Old 08-14-2006, 07:25 PM

Quote:

MM,

So I suppose you can think that I'm an idiot (or a ****** ) for being happy with this POS if that is still your assessment of the Opus. In any case, I don't see what I have to gain from the exercise at this point.

Jack,
I never said the Opus was POC, or POS. Regarding to you statement above,
I own 2 Opus. What would that make me?

Anyways.. I have worked many days on the Opus. A few changes on the digital and DAC sections and and implemented my own designed, innovative cooling concept. Now I have a (digital) source that outperforms My Wadia and Esoteric reference transports, with a 50% in reduction in heat!

So, right at the moment, I am just at the point with networking, remote and display dislikes..

I was wondering if anyone could tell me if there is a feasible way with the Olive to access a USB 500 gig Harddrive via wireless to my main computer, that the usb drive is plugged in to.??? The Hd is in FLAC.
post #47 of 1136 Old 08-15-2006, 10:35 PM

Quote:

Jack,

Anyways.. I have worked many days on the Opus. A few changes on the digital and DAC sections and and implemented my own designed, innovative cooling concept. Now I have a (digital) source that outperforms My Wadia and Esoteric reference transports, with a 50% in reduction in heat!

So, right at the moment, I am just at the point with networking, remote and display dislikes..

I was wondering if anyone could tell me if there is a feasible way with the Olive to access a USB 500 gig Harddrive via wireless to my main computer, that the usb drive is plugged in to.??? The Hd is in FLAC.

Your PC-attached USB HDD should be "seen" by the Opus if the following conditions are met: a) The folder or folders where your FLAC files are stored should have been designated as "shared folder(s)" on your network; b) The FLAC files must have been created with or imported to the music library of a UPNP-compliant media server client (iTunes is UPNP-compliant but does not rip to FLAC).
post #48 of 1136 Old 08-16-2006, 09:00 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Jack,

what dacs did you change out to?
post #49 of 1136 Old 08-16-2006, 10:18 PM

Na!, No swap..... did some rerouting of the wiring. perfect clock, and data...
I use digital out only in my systems... (TacT). My main concern is the Spidf output,
once everything is has ultra low jitter, ripple and noise and data integrity is maintained throughout, everything just works optimal. Still has a regular non temp comp crystal,
and just a 2 channel Dac. Interesting note: in the owners manual specs, they call it a "Dual" dac.... unlike how it was advertised...
In my case a Musica, and a 2 tera, Infrant Nasready would of been the same price... the best cost effective soulution...
post #50 of 1136 Old 08-17-2006, 07:43 AM
Advanced Member

I thought it might be like changing out the op amps on a computer soundcard that was pretty easy, suprised me, makes a great upgrade for analog out for computers sorry for jacking the thread
post #51 of 1136 Old 08-21-2006, 09:49 AM

Hello all, glad to find this thread.

I have an Apple Mini Mac in my equipment rack, but it was before they came with digital out, so to use my networked Itunes collectioin, I had to use analog out to my processor (Anthem Statement D2).

I was considering getting a new Mini Mac, but all I would be gaining for my $$ would be the digi out.

I am now thinking of leaving the Mini Mac in place, as I also use it to view photographs from my server, and using one of the Olive units for music.

My question is, if I am only going to use the digital out from the olive into the D2, is there any reason, other than HD size to pay for the DACs and other circuitry in the Opus? Or just get the Musica?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Warren

Warren
post #52 of 1136 Old 08-21-2006, 11:42 AM
Advanced Member

If you're not using the internal DACs, then I would say that the Musica would probably suit you just fine. Also, the Musica is now available with a larger hard drive than originally available (250MB I think) as an option.

Brad
post #53 of 1136 Old 08-22-2006, 03:07 AM

Thanks, I will give that one a try.

Warren

Warren
post #54 of 1136 Old 08-22-2006, 03:37 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by WarrenHH View Post

Thanks, I will give that one a try.

Warren

Warren, Jerry Rappaport has an Olive Musica that he is testing out with a DAC1 and an Anthem D2 (when it is working). He posted earlier in this thread, so, you might contact him for his thoughts on the Musica connected digitally out. I am also considering a Musica. I also ike the idea of its' ability to being able to rip some of my LP's.

Stan
post #55 of 1136 Old 08-22-2006, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by monsteraudio View Post

I thought it might be like changing out the op amps on a computer soundcard that was pretty easy, suprised me, makes a great upgrade for analog out for computers sorry for jacking the thread

Monster,
For the Musica, and Symphony, yes, op amps swap is in order.
But the Opus, uses instrumental op Amps, which are an unconventional package type to pop yur favorite Op Amp in.
post #56 of 1136 Old 08-22-2006, 04:36 PM

Thanks Gostan. I like my D2, but suffice to say the first one I got, was not the one I ended up with ...

I will ask Jerry.

Warren

Warren
post #57 of 1136 Old 10-23-2006, 03:32 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

In case you haven't heard, Olive just issued a firmware update. If your Opus is attached to the internet you just press the "update" button. It took about 1 minute to update with no snags. The big improvement is that the web interface is very fast and you can control the Opus directly from that interface. So I've got my laptop near my listening position and I can access any song in my library from the laptop and play it. Very big improvement over the last version. I haven't explored any other improvements yet.
post #58 of 1136 Old 10-23-2006, 07:18 PM
Advanced Member

Thanks for the notice. Got an email from Olive today, since I have the Musica. Haven't installed it yet, but I am very impressed so far with the availability of updates from Olive. And you certainly can't beat the ability to install directly via the wi-fi connection.

I love the Musica more and more each time I use it!

Brad
post #59 of 1136 Old 10-23-2006, 07:31 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Thanks for the notice. Got an email from Olive today, since I have the Musica. Haven't installed it yet, but I am very impressed so far with the availability of updates from Olive. And you certainly can't beat the ability to install directly via the wi-fi connection.

I love the Musica more and more each time I use it!

It only takes a few minutes. Do it!
post #60 of 1136 Old 10-24-2006, 05:27 AM
Advanced Member

I'm on it tonight. Would have last night, but was a little busy with other things. Very much looking forward to a faster meta data updates via the web interface.

Brad
Reply CD Players & Dedicated Music Transports

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page