Olive Opus: First Impressions - Page 25 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #721 of 1136 Old 09-20-2008, 09:10 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
So if I understand you correctly, the genres on the Opus don't match the genres when you go into Maestro? That is odd and the first I've heard of that occurring.

I would try downloading the update that was became available yesterday and see if that fixes the problem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrow520 View Post

Greetings All,

I've been following this forum since I got my Opus 4 back in July. Many thanks to all for helping me though what was initially a very frustrating experience. My first impression was fairly negative but now that I've gotten past the ripping phase I've really been enjoying my Opus a great deal. However I'm still having one problem that has been touched on by a few others but (apparently) no one else is seeing to the same extent that I am. Namely, very few of my albums show up under the Genres section of Maestro, even though on the Opus itself, and when I edit the tracks in Maestro, they show as belonging to the correct Genre. I've tried dragging/dropping them into the appropriate Genre manually with no success (even after a refresh). The Rock genre seems to work slightly better than the others and Jazz doesn't seem to work at all. What I've ended up doing was to create playlists for each genre and dump everything into those, so that I can listen to a random selection of tracks by genre. I'm on the latest version of software so that doesn't seem to be it. Any thoughts?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #722 of 1136 Old 09-20-2008, 10:21 AM

I downloaded the update yesterday and now, I can't even play music from TwonkyMedia. Bummer...
post #723 of 1136 Old 09-20-2008, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zbrett View Post

So if I understand you correctly, the genres on the Opus don't match the genres when you go into Maestro? That is odd and the first I've heard of that occurring.

I would try downloading the update that was became available yesterday and see if that fixes the problem.

I downloaded the update last night but no luck. It's not that the genres don't match but rather when I dragdrop an album into the genre in Maestro, it doesn't show up there, even after a refresh. However, when I edit the track (or album) it does show as belonging to the genre.

I discovered last night though that if I create a sub-genre (ie: Classic Jazz) and drop the albums in that, then they stick. Just seems like an unnecessary step and I was wondering if anyone else was experiencing this.
post #724 of 1136 Old 09-20-2008, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack D View Post

OK. Thanks.

I just called and got a real person on the phone with no recorded messages to wade through! Shocking! ;-)

1. The orignial Opus has the same operating systems as either the Opus 3 or 5. The Opus 4 is a different animal.
2. The web site to upgrade the Opus 3 or 5 software has been down, is currently down, and could be down for another 3-4 months. This seems crazy to me but at least I know I'm not crazy for not being able to update the software through the web. It's a pity that we have to go through the trouble of burning a cd etc. How hard could it be to get the web site running?

Anyway, it's some information that might be useful to someone else out there.

Hi Jack,

Welcome back on this site. As you may remember from older posts, I am also an ownwr of the original, supposedly "high en" Opus.

What Olive told you seems to confirm my fears that they are quietly dropping pioneering customers like you and me, who plonked a cool $3,000 for the privilege.

The fact that the Opus 4 uses entirely different software, rather than building up on the existing one (apparently with a slew of shortcomings and bugs that did not exist in the original version) seems to indicate that they are getting out of licensing agreements the may have had with the German company behind the Hifidelio, the machine from which the Musica, Symphony and Opus 3 and 5 were all derived from.

As to software updates for that apparently abandoned line, nothing has come up since June 2007. So if you already have version 2.3.18, you are current. That version is posted for download on the Olive Web site under "Opus 3" and "Opus 5" (they do not bother to mention the original Opus, but it uses the exact same software).

Judging from the long stream of posts on this site showing the myriad problems encountered by early adopters of the Opus 4, we may feel happy that we have a trouble-free machine that works 99% as advertised Here is my quick take on the comparative merits of the "old" and "new" Opuses:

- The Opus 4 has a color touch-screen (but quite small and low-resolution) and promises enhanced library management features. However, most of the refinements to music management seem to aim at enabling users to perform more extensive editing of the inherently flawed metadata provided by free CD databases. Licensing a commercial database, like the one used on SOOLOOS servers, would have been a much better solution. The Opus 4 still offers no dedicated remote with a display replicating the touch-screen on the machine itself. It still relies on theird-party internet tablets such as the Nokia N 810 and a version of the Rondo interface.

- One improvement in the Opus 4 is an apparently better backup feature. However, due to Olive plans to offer music downloads (for a fee), the backups require a dedicated USB external drive from which it is impossible to extract or copy music on a computer. The ld: backup solution, albeit very slow and crude, produces folders and files that can be read and manipulated using any computer.

- The Opus 4 has the capability of storing and playing high-resolution music files such as the ones that can be purchased from Music Giants, but Olive makes no claims as to the pedigree of the DAC it uses.

So I think there is still a lot of value in the "old Opus" and we, bold pioneers, should make some noise ont his site and others so that Olive does not drop us into oblivion (not to mention their customers who paid dearly just months ago for an Opus5).

MG
post #725 of 1136 Old 09-20-2008, 01:29 PM
Advanced Member

This is a long shot, but I'm wondering if this is some sort of javascript issue with your browser. I would check the settings to make sure javascript is fully enabled, or even try a different browser.

Quote:

I downloaded the update last night but no luck. It's not that the genres don't match but rather when I dragdrop an album into the genre in Maestro, it doesn't show up there, even after a refresh. However, when I edit the track (or album) it does show as belonging to the genre.

I discovered last night though that if I create a sub-genre (ie: Classic Jazz) and drop the albums in that, then they stick. Just seems like an unnecessary step and I was wondering if anyone else was experiencing this.

post #726 of 1136 Old 09-20-2008, 01:43 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DIGINOTE View Post

Hi Jack,

Welcome back on this site. As you may remember from older posts, I am also an ownwr of the original, supposedly "high en" Opus.

What Olive told you seems to confirm my fears that they are quietly dropping pioneering customers like you and me, who plonked a cool $3,000 for the privilege.

The fact that the Opus 4 uses entirely different software, rather than building up on the existing one (apparently with a slew of shortcomings and bugs that did not exist in the original version) seems to indicate that they are getting out of licensing agreements the may have had with the German company behind the Hifidelio, the machine from which the Musica, Symphony and Opus 3 and 5 were all derived from.

As to software updates for that apparently abandoned line, nothing has come up since June 2007. So if you already have version 2.3.18, you are current. That version is posted for download on the Olive Web site under "Opus 3" and "Opus 5" (they do not bother to mention the original Opus, but it uses the exact same software).

Judging from the long stream of posts on this site showing the myriad problems encountered by early adopters of the Opus 4, we may feel happy that we have a trouble-free machine that works 99% as advertised Here is my quick take on the comparative merits of the "old" and "new" Opuses:

- The Opus 4 has a color touch-screen (but quite small and low-resolution) and promises enhanced library management features. However, most of the refinements to music management seem to aim at enabling users to perform more extensive editing of the inherently flawed metadata provided by free CD databases. Licensing a commercial database, like the one used on SOOLOOS servers, would have been a much better solution. The Opus 4 still offers no dedicated remote with a display replicating the touch-screen on the machine itself. It still relies on theird-party internet tablets such as the Nokia N 810 and a version of the Rondo interface.

- One improvement in the Opus 4 is an apparently better backup feature. However, due to Olive plans to offer music downloads (for a fee), the backups require a dedicated USB external drive from which it is impossible to extract or copy music on a computer. The ld: backup solution, albeit very slow and crude, produces folders and files that can be read and manipulated using any computer.

- The Opus 4 has the capability of storing and playing high-resolution music files such as the ones that can be purchased from Music Giants, but Olive makes no claims as to the pedigree of the DAC it uses.

So I think there is still a lot of value in the "old Opus" and we, bold pioneers, should make some noise ont his site and others so that Olive does not drop us into oblivion (not to mention their customers who paid dearly just months ago for an Opus5).

MG

Yes I remember you from the "old days." I guess the fact that I have not been checking in much in the last year or so is testament to the fact that I'm pretty much satisfied with the original Opus. I've been spending more time listening to my collection and exploring new music than fiddling with the equipment which is what it's all about anyway isn't it?

To some extent, however, I just got used to the things that bother me about it. I didn't expect it to be perfect but it has served me well. As far as I know there is still nothing that compares to it in its price range and I still find that surprising. It just seems so obvious that music servers or something like them are the way of the future (although they really should be the "now thing.") Is it really that hard to get it right? I suppose the one thing that holds back a lot of more casual users is that the servers still fall a bit short of plug and play. Again, however, I don't see why that has to be.

In any case, I still don't like the things that I didn't like when I first got the Opus. 1. The problems with lossless format compatibility with other devices like the iPod persist but this is not really Olive's problem. 2. The remote interface (Rondo) does not seem to be designed very well/efficiently. My experience is that it runs poorly on the N800. I finally gave up on using the N800 with the Opus except in very limited situations when using my laptop is inconvenient. The Rondo interface works fine if the hardware has enough CPU muscle but my experience is that the N800 doesn't even with the newer software which runs its CPU at a faster rate. 3. I too am bothered by Olive as a company. I just don't trust them. There have been too many weird things that they've done. And their support is shakey at best. Yes I discoverd that the software I had downloaded a long time ago is still the most recent they have released. The fact that their update web address has been down for a long time and, apparently will continue to be so, is weird and distubing. What the heck is their problem?

I'm not really so sure that Olive is abandoning its orignial customers like you and me. I mean the Opus 5 is the same software and I think they are planning on releasing an update sometime in the near future from what that post in this thread mentioned. I kind of thought that the Opus 4 was their attempt at a more user friendly and cheaper (if I'm not mistaken) Opus to capture another part of the market.
post #727 of 1136 Old 09-20-2008, 03:08 PM

Quote:

This is a long shot, but I'm wondering if this is some sort of javascript issue with your browser. I would check the settings to make sure javascript is fully enabled, or even try a different browser.

Good idea, but... no such luck. Same results no matter which browser I use (IE or Firefox) or how much I tweak the Java settings. It's strange because a few albums do show up by default, but the vast majority do not. And some genres work differently from others. If I dragdrop an album into Rock/Pop it stays, but not Jazz or Classical.
post #728 of 1136 Old 09-21-2008, 11:56 AM

Quote:

I too am bothered by Olive as a company. I just don't trust them. There have been too many weird things that they've done. And their support is shakey at best. Yes I discoverd that the software I had downloaded a long time ago is still the most recent they have released. The fact that their update web address has been down for a long time and, apparently will continue to be so, is weird and distubing. What the heck is their problem?

I'm not really so sure that Olive is abandoning its original customers like you and me. I mean the Opus 5 is the same software and I think they are planning on releasing an update sometime in the near future from what that post in this thread mentioned. I kind of thought that the Opus 4 was their attempt at a more user friendly and cheaper (if I'm not mistaken) Opus to capture another part of the market.

I wish I could share your optimism as to Olive's future and their continuing support for their original Opus line. Unfortunately, the fact that the 5 uses the same software as the older models is not necessarily reassuring: Olive is no longer selling the Opus 5 or showing it on its Web site, and the Opus 3 has been dropped as well (if you go to the Opus 3 sub-menu on their Web site, you land on the Opus 4 blurb).

Concerning the software update link from the Opus,my own experience is that the link was dead for a number of months (Olive actually acknowledged that in one of their newsletter and that it came back to life a few weeks ago. Now, if I try a software update, I get the correct message that I already have the latest version, rather than an error message. Strange.

As to Olive's future as a company, there are troubling signs: their total sales by mid-2007 were some 25,000 units. They practically do not advertise, their constant line changes have resulted in no major press review lately (except for a glowing recommendation in the NY Times for the Opus 5 that was published jus before Olive pulled the plug on the 5). So marketing relies mostly on word-of-mouth, and that has become pretty sour as a result of long delivery delays and the late launching of half-baked products such as the 4 and the Melody 2.

It all looks like Olive is trying to tap a more mainstream market while operating from a garage with a bunch of enthisiastic nerds who may deserve our sympathy, but probably not our trust.

Some additions to my list of perceived shortcomings of the Opus 4 as compared to the older line:

- No searchlists.

- No provision for copying music to an iPod or other portable player (you can still play what is on a portable device in compatible format; big deal!)

- No analogue input for digitizing LPs.

MG
post #729 of 1136 Old 09-21-2008, 01:11 PM

I have an 160gig Synmphony (now Opus No.3s). I tried using a Nokia 770 and found it slow and cumbersome with Rondo and stopped using it.
Last week I set the 770 and my laptop with "VNC Viewer 4". Wow, what a difference.
I now get the Olives front panel interface on the 770 and control it just as if I was sitting in front of the unit. The VNC setup is far suppier than using Rondo in both speed and funtionality.
Needless to say I'm now using the 770 all the time. I works as a real remote control now.
post #730 of 1136 Old 09-21-2008, 01:40 PM

I recently set up my laptop and a Nokia 770 with VNC viewer.
Wow! This setup is far superior than running Rondo.
You get a display of the front panel interface of the OPUS (In my case a 3S).
This interface works much faster and is at least as functional as Rondo.
I am now using the 770 as my main controller of the Opus.

Brand new to this forum, glad I found it.
post #731 of 1136 Old 09-21-2008, 02:08 PM

I have an Opus 3s. After you get the hang of using it to digitize vinyl it works very well.
There is a learning curve, but why hassle using a computer when you have the Olive.
Cutting tracks is quite easy and the Auto-Cut feature works pretty darn slick.
post #732 of 1136 Old 09-22-2008, 01:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by haver View Post

So, I was wondering if anybody had any clue as to what I could try next. Here are the parameters :
- I'm not dumping my music server. It's going to stay here, for better or worse.
- I would really like to keep the Melody. Some of my friends experienced a lot of problems with SlimDevice Squeezebox Duet so I'm not too keen for that.
- I'm willing to try any other linux compatible DLNA server that will give me my music.

What is your take on this?

Olive used to recommend the Firefly server software (for Windows or Mac OSX). You might give it a try, it's FREE and very simple to use. As it decompresses lossless formats "on the fly", it lets you play FLAC and even Apple Lossless files on an Opus.

MG
post #733 of 1136 Old 09-22-2008, 07:43 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I wish I could share your optimism as to Olive's future and their continuing support for their original Opus line. Unfortunately, the fact that the 5 uses the same software as the older models is not necessarily reassuring: Olive is no longer selling the Opus 5 or showing it on its Web site, and the Opus 3 has been dropped as well (if you go to the Opus 3 sub-menu on their Web site, you land on the Opus 4 blurb).

I wouldn't exactly characterize my estimation of the situation as optimistic. And from what you mention here it does seem that the situation is worse than I had thought. They really aren't selling 5s any more? Why would they be updating the software then? Or did I get that wrong.

Quote:

Concerning the software update link from the Opus,my own experience is that the link was dead for a number of months (Olive actually acknowledged that in one of their newsletter and that it came back to life a few weeks ago. Now, if I try a software update, I get the correct message that I already have the latest version, rather than an error message. Strange.

Weird is right. I just tried it and got the message that my software was up to date. They just told me on the phone a few days ago that the server was down and would be for a long time.....

Quote:

As to Olive's future as a company, there are troubling signs: their total sales by mid-2007 were some 25,000 units. They practically do not advertise, their constant line changes have resulted in no major press review lately (except for a glowing recommendation in the NY Times for the Opus 5 that was published jus before Olive pulled the plug on the 5). So marketing relies mostly on word-of-mouth, and that has become pretty sour as a result of long delivery delays and the late launching of half-baked products such as the 4 and the Melody 2.

OK good points. Still, as inept as they seem to be managing their business they have a product, however flawed, that fills a niche. Why no one else is jumping in at this level is, as I've said so many times, puzzling.

Quote:

It all looks like Olive is trying to tap a more mainstream market while operating from a garage with a bunch of enthisiastic nerds who may deserve our sympathy, but probably not our trust.

You could be right about the garage.

Even taking all this into account, the question is: are you mostly satisfied with your Opus? I still am at this point. I suppose if Olive tanks, we don't get any software updates so no new functionality. That doesn't really bother me a lot but I suppose that there could be changes required in the future just to make it continue to work with a network or something fundamental like that. Probably what will happen is that a better product at an acceptable price point will come out at some point and then it will be a decision of sticking with the Opus or jumping to the new device. Sure I would hate to have to plunk down another, say, $3K for something else but I never expected the Opus would be the last music server I bought.
post #734 of 1136 Old 09-22-2008, 07:48 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogface1 View Post

Hmm. I just went over to the VNC site. I'd never heard of this software. So how do you configure it so that the Opus front panel shows up in the 770 or in my case the 800? I guess you have to install the software on the 770/800. From a quick read through the documentation it seemed to me that you also had to install the software on the device that you want to control remotely but I suppose that can't be right because I doubt that you could do that with the Opus. It somehow snags control of the packets the Opus sends via the network?

BTW how much does the personal edition cost? I couldn't get a quote from their web site. thx
post #735 of 1136 Old 09-22-2008, 10:46 AM

For the VCN you don't need to load anything on the Olive. If you have the "latest" update from last year do the following:
Go to Settings>Nework>Services, scroll down to VNC and turn it "On".

The VCN Viewer 4 program I downloaded is very simple and was the only one that actually worked. You just type in the Olive URL click connect and Bingo the the front panel of the Olive shows up.
You need to load the VCN on both your Nokia and Laptop.
Let me know how you like it.
post #736 of 1136 Old 09-22-2008, 11:27 AM

Quote:

Hmm. I just went over to the VNC site. I'd never heard of this software. So how do you configure it so that the Opus front panel shows up in the 770 or in my case the 800? I guess you have to install the software on the 770/800. From a quick read through the documentation it seemed to me that you also had to install the software on the device that you want to control remotely but I suppose that can't be right because I doubt that you could do that with the Opus. It somehow snags control of the packets the Opus sends via the network?

BTW how much does the personal edition cost? I couldn't get a quote from their web site. thx

It's free.
post #737 of 1136 Old 09-22-2008, 05:32 PM

Quote:

My previous post may be wrong.
I got the "VNC Viewer 4 Free Edition" for my laptop use.
I may have gotten the VNC for the 770 through the Nokia page. I don't remember now (it's been almost two weeks). It's free as well.
post #738 of 1136 Old 09-22-2008, 09:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
Its been acting up a bit. When trying to play a song, sometimes it works, sometimes it starts to play and ends after a second and sometimes it wont play at all. When I hit the play button it says connection to external device failed (or something like that). I unplugged the ethernet and now it seems to work... I wonder if I need to reconfigure the router or something? This started to act up before the latest firmware.
post #739 of 1136 Old 09-22-2008, 11:16 PM

Quote:

Interesting. I use VNC for work and have it installed on my PC but it won't connect to my Opus. But then again, it's a Windows version of VNC. What version are you using... is it Linux? With the Windows version you have to have a server app running on the destination box but I'm assuming you didn't have to do that? Are you able to connect from both your laptop and your Nokia?
post #740 of 1136 Old 09-23-2008, 07:24 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

For the VCN you don't need to load anything on the Olive. If you have the "latest" update from last year do the following:
Go to Settings>Nework>Services, scroll down to VNC and turn it "On".

The VCN Viewer 4 program I downloaded is very simple and was the only one that actually worked. You just type in the Olive URL click connect and Bingo the the front panel of the Olive shows up.
You need to load the VCN on both your Nokia and Laptop.
Let me know how you like it.

Interesting. I will take a look on my Opus when I get home tonight. I assume you have to load the VCN software on the both Nokia and the laptop so you can have the option to control the Opus from either of those devices. Thanks for the info. I'll give it try hopefully this week.
post #741 of 1136 Old 09-23-2008, 07:25 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

My previous post may be wrong.
I got the "VNC Viewer 4 Free Edition" for my laptop use.
I may have gotten the VNC for the 770 through the Nokia page. I don't remember now (it's been almost two weeks). It's free as well.

Ok. I will check it out.
post #742 of 1136 Old 09-23-2008, 07:36 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Interesting. I use VNC for work and have it installed on my PC but it won't connect to my Opus. But then again, it's a Windows version of VNC. What version are you using... is it Linux? With the Windows version you have to have a server app running on the destination box but I'm assuming you didn't have to do that? Are you able to connect from both your laptop and your Nokia?

If you go here http://www.realvnc.com/vnc/features.html you will see that either the free or enterprise (but not the personal) version will work with Linux. I went to the Nokia site and searched for applications for the N800 and nothing came up so I think it must be that you load the free version from the VNC web site onto both your laptop and Nokia tablet.
post #743 of 1136 Old 09-23-2008, 09:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

"The (version) 3.2s that are in the works should deliver a lot more, they are expected end October, posting of new features should be online soon."

Any hints on what October will bring?
post #744 of 1136 Old 09-23-2008, 09:43 AM

Quote:

If you go here http://www.realvnc.com/vnc/features.html you will see that either the free or enterprise (but not the personal) version will work with Linux. I went to the Nokia site and searched for applications for the N800 and nothing came up so I think it must be that you load the free version from the VNC web site onto both your laptop and Nokia tablet.

Go to http://www.realvnc.com/products/free...vncviewer.html for the free version.
Hope this helps.
post #745 of 1136 Old 09-23-2008, 09:51 AM

Quote:

Windows Vista. Make sure you set the Olive's VNC to ON in settings.
Played with a couple of other VNC programs and this is the one worked on the laptop http://www.realvnc.com/products/free...vncviewer.html
Good Luck
post #746 of 1136 Old 09-23-2008, 01:44 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

OK. I installed the VNC Viewer. It took a while to find the right one. I'm not at all familiar with Linux so I didn't know all the different versions out there. The N800 uses the "Maemo" version. After about five or six tries I found a VNC viewer that loads and works with the N800 running OS2008. You can find it here: https://garage.maemo.org/frs/?group_id=119

Once you are at that page, download this file:

vncviewer_0.6_N800_armel.deb

Then you just go to your application manager and choose to install from a file. It only takes a few seconds.

Make sure you enable VNC on the Opus

Then click on the viewer and it will prompt your for the ip of the device you want to control. You type it in and boom the Opus screen is there. I just started playing around with it but it is very fast. The exact same menus as on the Opus itself. My first complaint is that I can't seem to scale the image on the N800 screen. I'd like it to be fill out the entire screen so that it's easier to read (for me at least!). Using the N800 full screen and zoom controls doesn't really work. as far as I can tell. I don't know if there are different VNC viewers that have different GUIs. Anyway, I'm going to go play with it for a while. It's very good so far!

I think I'm going to install a windows version on my PC and see what it's like with the bigger laptop screen.

OK. I installed the Windows version on my laptop. Same thing. It's a very basic interface. You can't really play around with it but it does really work fast.
post #747 of 1136 Old 09-23-2008, 03:09 PM
Advanced Member

Since they said they would be posting it on the web site soon, I didn't ask...

Quote:
Originally Posted by shamus View Post

Any hints on what October will bring?

post #748 of 1136 Old 09-23-2008, 05:30 PM

With the vnc on the laptop, instead of using the mouse you can use your arrow keys to navigate the interface (this really moves things along). The space bar is play/pause.
Edit tracks by using the keyboard instead of scroll wheel.
post #749 of 1136 Old 09-23-2008, 07:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Since they said they would be posting it on the web site soon, I didn't ask...

Does this little experiment that Jack & Dogface are playing with apply to us?
post #750 of 1136 Old 09-23-2008, 07:55 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shamus View Post

Does this little experiment that Jack & Dogface are playing with apply to us?

Why not? Do you have the need to control the Opus remotely? Do you have one of the Nokias? If so, then the only consideration is which version of the software do you install. I can't say for sure but it might make a difference if you have the 770 or 800 and, if you have the 800, which version of the operating system--2007 or 2008?

I've been playing around with it for several hours now and I have to say that I'm pretty happy with the new interface.
Reply CD Players & Dedicated Music Transports

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page